U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
 
1,646 posts, read 4,461,268 times
Reputation: 1179

Advertisements

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed at length on this forum. I've read some of them, and I found suggestions for taking stains and odor from carpet and fabrics.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to do when the odor is into the plywood sub flooring? We've removed all the carpet, padding, etc. We've used bleach, baking soda, various powders, and commercial sprays.

Is there anything that can be done beyond replacing the sub flooring? I understand that removing all of it will compromise the structure of the house. We are getting ready to lay new hardwood flooring and tile.

I love my grandcritter like a child, but she's still smelling the old urine and misbehaving no matter how often she is taken out for potty. A second puppy was here for several months and added his fragrance.

Thanks for taking time to discuss this topic again.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 36,766,044 times
Reputation: 22096
You'd need to use a enzyme cleaner. We have used Stink Free with great success ...but I don't know that it would seep through the sub-flooring.
Stink Free Inc. (http://www.stinkfree.com/product1.html - broken link)

You can buy it at Petco
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 AM
 
1 posts, read 34,205 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
I'm sure that this topic has been discussed at length on this forum. I've read some of them, and I found suggestions for taking stains and odor from carpet and fabrics.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to do when the odor is into the plywood sub flooring? We've removed all the carpet, padding, etc. We've used bleach, baking soda, various powders, and commercial sprays.

Is there anything that can be done beyond replacing the sub flooring? I understand that removing all of it will compromise the structure of the house. We are getting ready to lay new hardwood flooring and tile.

I love my grandcritter like a child, but she's still smelling the old urine and misbehaving no matter how often she is taken out for potty. A second puppy was here for several months and added his fragrance.

Thanks for taking time to discuss this topic again.
We've just experienced the same problem, went all the way through to the underlay....

I ripped both the carpet and underlay up, left it bare (floor tiles underneath) for a few weeks, mopped everyday with bleach, and started laying hard wood flooring yesterday, have half done and another half to go, feels and looks really nice and dog friendly already!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Reputation: 30379
You need to tear up the plywood and replace it. You don't have to replace all of the plywood. Just cut out the sections that have urine and replace those.

Even if you didn't have a urine problem, your plywood would need to be replaced if there was damage from spilled drinks.

It's vital that you repair a subfloor prior to installing hardwood flooring. Your flooring is only as good as your subfloor.

And your dog will urinate on your new hardwood floor if she can smell remaining urine left in the old plywood.

Don't avoid repairing your subfloor. One way or another, you'll eventually regret not doing it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Marion, IN
8,191 posts, read 28,054,388 times
Reputation: 7114
Removing the sub floor will not compromise the structural integrity of the house. Removing joists would be a bad idea. Go ahead & cut out the sections that are urine soaked and replace with new plywood.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 AM
 
3,593 posts, read 10,645,293 times
Reputation: 5197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You need to tear up the plywood and replace it. You don't have to replace all of the plywood. Just cut out the sections that have urine and replace those.

Even if you didn't have a urine problem, your plywood would need to be replaced if there was damage from spilled drinks.

It's vital that you repair a subfloor prior to installing hardwood flooring. Your flooring is only as good as your subfloor.

And your dog will urinate on your new hardwood floor if she can smell remaining urine left in the old plywood.

Don't avoid repairing your subfloor. One way or another, you'll eventually regret not doing it.
I agree. The areas that have been effected on the subfloor should be replaced. I would be suspicious of whoever told you it would have anything to do with structural integrty - that is definately not the case! As was said above, you can cut out the effected areas and have it replaced only in the areas that need it. Its done with plywood and should not be that expensive. I strongly urge that you do this over any other treatment. Why risk damage to brand new hardwood floors?

Last edited by Va-Cat; 11-05-2009 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: spelling
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
Reputation: 18994
My DD had the same problem with her laminate floor. She pulled up the bad sections, treated the underlayer with an enzyme cleaner, left it open a few days, sniffed, re-treated, sniffed again, and it was fine. Just let the enzyme cleaner have time to do its job. Unless the plywood is rotten, no need to replace it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 AM
 
605 posts, read 2,547,121 times
Reputation: 530
You could spray the stains with an enzyme cleaner and let it dry, until you cannot smell urine anymore, then paint over that with Kilz primer- it is supposed to block stains and odors from coming through. I don't think you'd have to rip up the subfloor unless there was damage to it (rot, mold, etc).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Reputation: 30379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
You could spray the stains with an enzyme cleaner and let it dry, until you cannot smell urine anymore, then paint over that with Kilz primer- it is supposed to block stains and odors from coming through. I don't think you'd have to rip up the subfloor unless there was damage to it (rot, mold, etc).
The money spent on enzyme cleaner and kilz primer would be similar to buying plywood to repair sections.

Plus, you might not be able to smell urine, but the animals in the household most certainly would still smell it. That would cause them to urinate there!

It's really no big deal to cut out and replace portions of plywood.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
 
1,646 posts, read 4,461,268 times
Reputation: 1179
Thank you so much for all your help.

I'm beginning to be really worried about my grandcritter. I just had her out. She sneaked over to 'the spot' and pee'd!!! What could be wrong with her....health wise.....that could be causing this???????
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top