U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2009, 01:29 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,827 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I currently live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I'm hoping to move to St. Kitts in the Caribbean. Should be easy, right? WRONG! I have four Newfoundland dogs that I need to bring with me. Air Cargo doesn't work because there are no 757's going into St. Kitts -- the largest is a 737. Too small for the crates I would need (and I'm not thrilled at the idea of putting them in crates for that long a period). Does anyone know of any other way to transport a large dog to the caribbean. The only cruise ship that allows dogs is the Queen Mary and it only goes between NYC and England. I've contacted some charter boats but haven't heard back yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2009, 02:37 PM
 
3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
Reputation: 5197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiMerritt View Post
I currently live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I'm hoping to move to St. Kitts in the Caribbean. Should be easy, right? WRONG! I have four Newfoundland dogs that I need to bring with me. Air Cargo doesn't work because there are no 757's going into St. Kitts -- the largest is a 737. Too small for the crates I would need (and I'm not thrilled at the idea of putting them in crates for that long a period). Does anyone know of any other way to transport a large dog to the caribbean. The only cruise ship that allows dogs is the Queen Mary and it only goes between NYC and England. I've contacted some charter boats but haven't heard back yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Wow - thats a lot of dog. I used to fly with 2 retrievers back & forth to the Bahamas when I was working there. We took charter flights in and out of Ft Lauderdale Exec Airport. For only you and your animals, I bet that would be way too expensive. Only suggestion I can give is to maybe contact a few of the local charter flight companies in your area or even down in Miami. Sometimes they have a client that would appreciate someone to share the costs of a flight. Dogs would still be crated but would be up in the cabin with you. Its a longshot though since most charters run King Airs or Lears for their Caribbean runs. There might still be 1 or 2 companies that run Metroliners. Its a much larger twin engine plane. If you could find that, it would be the best solution. FYI - make sure you know the import regulations for bringing a live animal into whatever island country you plan on going to. Each one has different rules and it would be a nightmare for your dogs to get there only to be denied entrance because of lack of paperwork. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,648 posts, read 26,620,346 times
Reputation: 26595
I have absolutely no first-hand knowledge about this, but your dilemma got me curious so I did a bit of research.

Have you seen this service yet?

Pet Shipping, Dog Shipping and Pet Transport - Animals Away Pet Relocation

Worth a look...

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,648 posts, read 26,620,346 times
Reputation: 26595
Oh, another thing:

On that "Animals Away" website that I linked to, they had an interesting Q&A item:

[SIZE=3]Q. Are my pets relocation costs tax deductible ?

A. Yes, they are considered a moving expense.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 03:17 PM
 
24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
Reputation: 11452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Wow - thats a lot of dog. I used to fly with 2 retrievers back & forth to the Bahamas when I was working there. We took charter flights in and out of Ft Lauderdale Exec Airport. For only you and your animals, I bet that would be way too expensive. Only suggestion I can give is to maybe contact a few of the local charter flight companies in your area or even down in Miami. Sometimes they have a client that would appreciate someone to share the costs of a flight. Dogs would still be crated but would be up in the cabin with you. Its a longshot though since most charters run King Airs or Lears for their Caribbean runs. There might still be 1 or 2 companies that run Metroliners. Its a much larger twin engine plane. If you could find that, it would be the best solution. FYI - make sure you know the import regulations for bringing a live animal into whatever island country you plan on going to. Each one has different rules and it would be a nightmare for your dogs to get there only to be denied entrance because of lack of paperwork. Good luck!
I took my dogs with me to Honduras once. We chartered out of Miami. Most staff in Honduras was very willing to "look the other way" with a good tip. Coming back in the US was time consuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 11:14 AM
 
3,593 posts, read 10,643,727 times
Reputation: 5197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I took my dogs with me to Honduras once. We chartered out of Miami. Most staff in Honduras was very willing to "look the other way" with a good tip. Coming back in the US was time consuming.
LOL yup - there is definately a different way of doing things in most island Countries. Not so much right & wrong but getting to know the right people and knowing how to work the system. Have to admit, I used it more than once to get things like USDA meat on to the island with out paying the 200% duty that would normally come with it. (There always was a lot of food poisoning happening from meat purchased from the local store) All it usually took was asking the customs officer if they needed anything from Walmart while I was in the states & then bringing it back with me. The empty cooler would go with me when I left for the states an come back filled with steaks, chops and ground beef. May not sound fair but it did keep me healthy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 AM
 
6,764 posts, read 19,717,157 times
Reputation: 4688
I'm curious how Newfies do in the heat? I thought they were more Northern dogs. Did they like Florida weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood, DE and beautiful SXM!
12,054 posts, read 20,198,817 times
Reputation: 31756
You might want to contact this website for suggestions: PAWS - People for Animal Welfare on St. Kitts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,592 times
Reputation: 10
Default moving large dog to Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiMerritt View Post
I currently live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I'm hoping to move to St. Kitts in the Caribbean. Should be easy, right? WRONG! I have four Newfoundland dogs that I need to bring with me. Air Cargo doesn't work because there are no 757's going into St. Kitts -- the largest is a 737. Too small for the crates I would need (and I'm not thrilled at the idea of putting them in crates for that long a period). Does anyone know of any other way to transport a large dog to the caribbean. The only cruise ship that allows dogs is the Queen Mary and it only goes between NYC and England. I've contacted some charter boats but haven't heard back yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I also need to relocate a large lab to the Caribbean (Dominican Republic) if you find out anything about it, so far i think chartering a private jet is the only way to get the dog in the cabin and very expensive...maybe get a group together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,158 times
Reputation: 10
Hi PattiMerritt, I'm not sure if you check these forums anymore, but my husband and I are considering moving to St.Kitts and also have a Newfie. I'm worried about how he will deal with the weather and leaving him here is not an option for my husband. So if we can't bring him, we're just not going. What was your experience (if you ever moved with them)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top