U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:15 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,402,201 times

Advertisements

I use facebook and a friend of mine posted this on her wall today....

"Pet ownership is ruining my social life!"

She just got a puppy/dog and apparently didn't realize that owning a dog is like having a child. You can't leave for a 3 day weekend to Nascar unless you board the dog. You can't go out for drinks all night and not come home until the morning.

Why do people get dogs if they don't have the time to spend with them and take care of them, or think their social life is more important than the dogs life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 PM

5,026 posts, read 14,782,614 times
Pet ownership(actually, I think he owns me more than I do him!) revived our social life! We moved to San Diego, not knowing anyone, then PC came along. We've been attending Meetups, going to Yappy hours and the dog park, so we made lots of friends thanks to him!

We also take him to restaurants with us almost every time we go and are thankful to live in such a dog friendly city.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Pet ownership(actually, I think he owns me more than I do him!) revived our social life! We moved to San Diego, not knowing anyone, then PC came along. We've been attending Meetups, going to Yappy hours and the dog park, so we made lots of friends thanks to him!

We also take him to restaurants with us almost every time we go and are thankful to live in such a dog friendly city.

I guess it just depends on the person in general.

She is big on nightlife. Going out to bars, drinking all night, being able to go away for the weekend and not have to worry coming home for three days because she has a dog to take care of.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:47 PM

16,798 posts, read 37,910,636 times
May I add a vent of my own?

Dear busybody pet owners: Don't yap at me about endangering my dog when I leave her in the car on a 72 degree partly cloudy day, only to emerge minutes later with a $1.59 worth of celery in my hand. Save it for the people who come out pushing a basket with a week's worth of groceries.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 103,750,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Why do people get dogs if they don't have the time to spend with them and take care of them, or think their social life is more important than the dogs life.
Apparently your friend doesn't think her social life is more important than the dog's life.

Otherwise, she wouldnt' be complaining about her social life being ruined.

Think about it. If she didn't care about the dog's life, she would go do whatever she wanted without thinking of the dog.

Instead, she's thinking of the dog and her social life is suffering.

Sounds like she's just venting, not neglecting her dog.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 103,750,255 times
Quote:
She is big on nightlife. Going out to bars, drinking all night, being able to go away for the weekend and not have to worry coming home for three days because she has a dog to take care of.
Here's an idea. Be a friend: pet-sit for her!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,233,746 times
Quote:
IWhy do people get dogs if they don't have the time to spend with them and take care of them, or think their social life is more important than the dogs life.
Ask anyone who has had children. You can't imagine how much time and money is required for a pet or a child until you actually have one.

Some people just don't know what it takes, some think it will be different for them (my child/dog would never do that, that won't happen with me), and a few people just don't care - they will just live their lives anyway. But most people adapt. Over time - they start to understand what is required.

We had neighbors that went through animals like changing their underwear. But they had this little dog that just kept going, no matter what. Then one day, he was seriously maulled by another dog. Even without the proper medical care - the dog survived and continued to love them unconditionally.

The neighbors suddenly had an epiphany and realized what a fixture the little guy was in their life. From that point on, he was groomed, well fed, taken to the vet, and most of all . . . loved.

You never know - they might just come around.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,233,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post

You are right - having a dog is a social ice-breaker! You meet all your neighbors immediately and even more people at the dog park. We miss having a dog, especially here in SoCal.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,797 times
Default Disturbed by irresponsible pet owners

I agree. Having a pet is like a child with responsibility for a life. You have to nuture them; take care of them; feed them.... Long ago, I had a roommate that bought a pomeranian only to find out that gee it takes up time. You have to feed it, brush it, take it for walks. I ended up with the dog.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's an idea. Be a friend: pet-sit for her!

We're not that close of friends. I have two dogs of my own that I have to be concerned about, why would I want to care for someone elses dog who would rather go out drinking all night than go out for a few hours and go home to tend to their dog?

The only dogs I would watch are my two best friends dogs, plus they care for their dogs, come home at reasonable hours, and if they every do go out of town find the best means possible to have someone else care for them while they are gone.

Quote:
Apparently your friend doesn't think her social life is more important than the dog's life.

Otherwise, she wouldnt' be complaining about her social life being ruined.

Think about it. If she didn't care about the dog's life, she would go do whatever she wanted without thinking of the dog.

Instead, she's thinking of the dog and her social life is suffering.

Sounds like she's just venting, not neglecting her dog.
I'm pretty sure she's mad that she can't have her three day weekends, or long nights of drinking anymore because of this dog. Not that she is venting because she cares more about the dog than going out, but that's just my opinion because I know her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs