Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 05:58 PM

8 posts, read 67,582 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone
I have a Rottie/Lab Male Mix who just turned 6.
He started in August having urinary problems, he was peeing blood and I took him to the Vet , they did Urine tests and Xrays. They put him on Antibiodics for 3 rounds and it seemed to help. They said they could not see a stone in the Xray but the stone maybe radiolucent. So now he is peeing blood again for like the 3rd time and I notice that in the urine is little black sand grains, if I remove them and swipe them on a piece of paper, they feel like sand. Also after the last 2 blood episodes, twice, he passed a black poppy seed looking thing. So the Vet put him on Royal Canin Urinary S/O
Again last night, he was peeing blood again, the urine looked like a blush wine, now its stopped and the black sandy gritty things are in the urine again. My question is, has anyone experienced this with stones? That the bleeding stops and the urine is perfect and then all of a sudden it comes back for a day and then leaves again? And if you also have seen the gritty sandy stuff. Otherwise the dog is perfect, runs, eats, plays, sleeps, wags.
He does not strain to urinate either and it is a full flow, no blockages.
I just dont like this good urine for weeks and then a bout of bloody urine, and I can not find anything about it anywhere.

Thanks
Gina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,033,557 times
HI,

Our Min Pin started to pee blood 2 years ago. We noticed it and immediately took him to the doctor. Xray shows that there are stones in his system and it was recommeded to have surgery to get them removed. The doc said it is actually very painful for the doggy to go potty. We went ahead with the surgery. It cost about 3-4k, but you got to do what you got to do. We love him to death ya know? His recovery time took about 2-3 weeks after surgery. I am happy to say he is fully healthy today with no blood in his urine. I highly recommend that you opt for surgery. Do not let him/her live with it. It's very painful. If you cannot afford, give it up to SPCA. I hope this helps. Good luck to you and your doggy.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:26 PM

Hi
Thank you, I am glad your little guy is doing better.
My vet said we should try the Special Diet first as it may save my dog going throuh surgery. If he needs the surgery, i dont care what it costs, as long as he is ok.
How long was your dog urinating blood? Mine is having intermittent bouts of it, he is good for weeks and then gets a 1 day bloody urine bout, I am guessing that perhaps the stones are dissolving from the special diet and when they break they irriatate the lining of his bladder and then here comes the blood.
My dog is acting fine, if there was no blood, I would never know

Thanks for your help

Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,842,947 times
What kind of stones does your dog have? It is CRITICAL for your vet to find out EXACTLY what type of stone your dog has. It's easy for the vet to see the different kinds of crystals through a microscope - each kind refracts light in a different direction.

Once you know what kind of crystals you're dealing with you need to tailor the diet for THAT kind of stone. The two most common kinds of stones have COMPLETELY DIFFERENT dietary requirements. You can reasearch this easily online.

In addition, you might want to ask the vet for antibiotics. It's the little microorganisms that set up light housekeeping in the stones that can cause a LOT of problems and, while you'll never get completley rid of the bacteria if you don't get rid of the stones, this will help your dog feel MUCH better.

Best of luck.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Hi Thanks
That is the thing, they never told me what kind of stones they were, they did not even see them on the Xray as they said they may be radiolucent ( not visable on the xray ) I had the urinalysis done and they did not see crystals, but the Vet said it does not mean they are not there.
What bothers me is the bleeding in the urine and the sandy small grit, I am trying to determine if grit would mean stones or crystals

Thanks

Old 11-07-2009, 07:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,842,947 times
Yes! That grit is composed of aggregated crystals! Your vet should get a FRESH urine specimen (they can do that at the vets) and LOOK. It's CRITICAL that you know what kind of stones your dog has, because each kind has a RADICALLY different diet requirement!

And you might want to find a new vet.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 13,825 times
Hi GBNY

It's a few months now so this might be late, but.....

1. Get a new Vet. Seriously. The first thing ANY Vet would do is ID the stone type. You literally cannot treat this with diet without that info. You know what they call the person who graduated LAST from Med School? Doctor.

2. Get your dog on antibiotics ASAP. In addition to a PH lowering diet, antibiotics also cause a lowering of the PH through a mechanism I won't bore you with.

I hope your Rot/Lab is OK. That's a great mix and must be a wonderful dog.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 24,152 times
hello every one,
my small yorkie is a male 7 years old. we took him to the vet because he has blood in his urine, he took x rays and found a stone in his bladder, cutting the lining and causing the bleeding. he gave him some medicine and said too get the c/ d diet dog food and the right way is surgery. well i dont have $500.00 dollars for this to happen, would he died with out this surgery ? also does the c / d diet food help to dissolve the stone, this food is expensive too ! my sister told me to put him down, i dont want to do that i love my boy, his name is little bam bam ! dont know what to do, does spca help ?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 24,152 times
Default little bam bam

hello,
i was told to try and call shamrock and see if they can help me with the surgery, does ant one know of this, does any one know who can help me with this surgery or diet dog food that would dissolve the stone ? if i can help him with out surgery that would be great

Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM

46 posts, read 139,687 times
Bichons and some other small breeds get stones in the bladder easily. Our bichon had blood in her urine but acted fine for a long time. Then she STARTED HIDING under my desk and behind a door! This is when they're in pain! We took her to the vet and he said she has bladder stones. He cut open her bladder and removed 2 huge stones! We have them. Then in a few days she got really sick: hiding, breathing hard, bloated abdomen. Vet said the stitches popped open, she had urine in her abdominal cavity ! and he could operate a 2nd time for free! We said OK (scared to death) and she has been in the vets for 4 days and doing great. Thank God. His solution? Switch dog foods and no people food but everyone on the internet says you cannot avoid bladder stones in bichons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs