U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:35 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,676,581 times

Advertisements

Oz, up there also had to have some teeth pulled before he was available for adoption and has one tooth that is on the outside when he shuts his mouth garnering his knickname 'snaggle puss.'

But, I definitely agree with others that you should talk to the vet regarding his eating habits as all dogs have different digestive tracts and what's good for one may not be for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 03:25 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,981,077 times
All of the things you describe are definitely characteristics of chihuahuas. They are stubborn and quirky little dogs. He's a cute little guy and will eat when he gets hungry.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:57 PM

28 posts, read 178,044 times
I just got home from taking him to PetSmart (in the next town over) and I overheard others say "Oh look at the Chihuahua!" Lol. I tried to find another "inside" coat for him, since the other one is more bulky and is meant for an "outside" coat. (He's gonna be soooo spoiled!)

He's such a character, he knows what he wants, and what he doesn't want he'll turn his nose up at in the opposite direction. He always has to be at my side, and he follows me even into the bathroom. He sleeps most of the night in a carrier, but gets to come and sleep on the bed with us in the early morning. He always snuggles right between my husband and me. I don't know what it is, but he is extremely possessive of me when my husband is leaving the house. In the mornings, he growls at my husband. Then the other night, we realized that as soon as my husband leans over to kiss me goodbye by the front door, Teddy will come right over to me and growl at my hubby. Anyone know how to break him of that? My husband attempted to scald him and that's when he snapped at him twice.

He's sharp as a whip too! Whoever had him before taught him "No", "Stay" and "Come here". He also knows how to ride in a car, and was potty trained other than a couple of accidents his first couple of days. That's why I'm so surprised that no one came looking for him. I believe that whoever had him before must have fed him mostly meat because he is a "meat eater"! He loves hamburger meat, bacon, sausage, sometimes bologne, hot dogs, chicken and turkey. And on our trip, we found out that he likes beef jerky. I've also found that he likes doritos and french fries, although he doesn't get much, just trying to see what he'll eat. Our other two dogs will eat anything you put infront of them, but they are chowhounds. It's so frustrating to have a dog that won't touch anything that he's supposed to. We did buy him some doggie treats and "dog gravy" in hopes that he'd eat them, but if it smells artificial, he won't touch it. Before I cooked him up some chicken, I did try to feed him a piece raw and he licked it but didn't fully eat it.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:07 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,199,711 times
Get him out around alot of people. Alos make sure you get him a petsmart tag with his name, city, state and both your phone numbers. Also a nice warm sweater. My chi is always sleeping under my covers and in the winter he sleeps with a little shirt or sweater on.
Is he neutered?

OOPS! Just read you are getting him neutered! Yes, he will calm down and his sweet personality will come out more!

Old 11-08-2009, 12:18 PM

I plan on getting him neutered next month. I work for the school district and since we get winter break out, I'll be home to watch over him. Plus he's just getting over the stress of being in a new home, I'd hate to abandon him at a vet's clinic so soon. Next month, hopefully he'll be more adjusted and won't take the seperation so badly.

We took him to PetSmart yesterday and I was quite surprised that they didn't have a big variety of doggie sweaters/jackets. Where do you guys buy them for your dogs? We did get him his coat at Walmart. I'm worried about getting an actual sweater without any velcro or buttons, because I don't want him to be a big barbie doll while I try to manuever his legs and head into the clothing.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:39 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,980,891 times
Looks like a chi mix for sure. Reminds me a lot of my hubby's chi mix. We took him in as a foster, starved almost to death. Now he's all fat and happy! He's on the right in the first photo and on the left in the second.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:36 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,462,041 times
You need to tell your husband NOT to scold him - all that does is confirm to the dog that your husband is someone to fear/from whom he needs to protect you. Get your husband to offer him YUMMY treats (chicken, cheese or steak) but to BACK OFF if he growls.

And remember, neutering may do NOTHING for his personality. And it takes at least a MONTH before the testosterone levels drop!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:11 PM

514 posts, read 776,610 times
I have a chi mix too and she looks very similar, except her ears are very erect. She is a golden red color with white touches on chest and feet. Her dna test came back toy fox terrier with a trace of weimaraner. (that one threw us as she is only about 8 pounds worth). I also had a chi/minpin but she was a darker red with no white at all. Good luck, they are precious little ones and I'm glad you found food he likes. Chicken and rice is always popular with fussy eaters. Mine give equal lovin' time to both my hubby and me.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 PM

3chidogs - how did you do a dna test? I just finished watching the movie "Transformers" and Teddy looks IDENTICAL to Mojo on there (except for the color).

Mrs1885 - your dogs are really cute! Thanks for sharing, and yes, he does look alot like your guy. I can't figure out why someone docked his tail, being a chihuahua and all. Weird.

We bought him a house jacket today, and he looks sooo cute in it. We also got him a toy hedgehog (that we named Howie Hedgehog) and he LOVES it. He's carrying it all over the house and trying to bite off it's face. Haha. I feel like I should buy him several more of the same toy, so that when one is torn, he'll have another. :-)

I've noticed that his eyes water alot. Is that normal for a chi?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM

12,013 posts, read 2,213,876 times
I got a food dehydrator for myself, and then someone gave me a dog treat that was just dehydrated chicken breast. Now I stock up on chicken breasts when they are on sale -- just remove any fat and slice them thinly, which is easier when they're partially frozen, and dehydrate! I've never met a dog that can resist them, especially the two chi's that are my dog's best buddies. I got my dehydrator pretty cheaply on eBay. You can also dehydrate in a home oven, although I don't know how.

Gorgeous little fella! Bless you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or