Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:21 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I also had to look at the entire calendar! A gorgeous dog for every month of the year!! I used to live on the Eastern Shore of MD, by the Chesapeake Bay and, naturally, these dogs were local favorites. Real beauties!
Eastern Shore is the only place in the US where you can walk a Chessie and everyone knows the breed. Everywhere else, (especially here in Texas) most people think a Chessie is some sort of "Lab Hybrid" Its only when you look at them side-by-side that the differences are obvious. Thanks everyone for looking. I just had to brag about my girl a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:44 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
What a beautiful girl. I immediately thought of this song when I saw the picture. : )

YouTube - Neil Sedaka - Calendar Girl

Old 11-09-2009, 06:53 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times
Awwwwwwww................LOVE IT !!!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
What a beautiful girl. I immediately thought of this song when I saw the picture. : )

YouTube - Neil Sedaka - Calendar Girl
OMG - now THAT video goes back a couple of years. I had to laugh at how sweet and innocent it is compared to some the ones you see these days. Thanks for the compliment about my girl and the smile from looking back at this video!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
What cute dogs. The chessie seems like an awesome breed.

(I love the collar on December. I'd love to know where I can get one.)

Old 12-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
What cute dogs. The chessie seems like an awesome breed.

(I love the collar on December. I'd love to know where I can get one.)
Yup... Chessies ARE awesome but not the type of dog for everyone. Very high energy, very high intelligence and as stubborn as any dog can be if you don't make learning fun for them. As to your question.....If you are talking about where to get a Chessie...I can help you there If you are talking about where to get the collar.....I'll contact Clara's owner & see if I can find out where she got it. I agree - its a nice one (both the dog & the collar)! Thanks for looking

Old 12-06-2009, 02:22 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Yup... Chessies ARE awesome but not the type of dog for everyone. Very high energy, very high intelligence and as stubborn as any dog can be if you don't make learning fun for them. As to your question.....If you are talking about where to get a Chessie...I can help you there If you are talking about where to get the collar.....I'll contact Clara's owner & see if I can find out where she got it. I agree - its a nice one (both the dog & the collar)! Thanks for looking
The collar, at this point . I think it's adorable and would love to know where the owner got it - if you could find out for me that would be great!

As far as the dog goes, we're in the process of deciding whether or not to get a second dog (we have a much adored golden now). So far, the breeds on our short list are: Golden, Lab, Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

We know that a golden or lab would do great in our home. But, we also really like the unique qualities of CBRs (reserved with strangers, protective, loyal, intelligent, etc). I'm a stay at home mom and we have two school aged kids so we don't have much trouble meeting the exercise requirements of our golden - she gets a fairly long walk most days and play time in the back yard. We vacation at the beach, have lakes fairly nearby our home, like to hike, etc.

The things we like about our golden: she likes to get out and go places with us, after she gets her exercise she's pretty sedate, she's great with kids - our own and their friends, she was a breeze to potty train, she has a super sweet disposition, no behavior issues like digging/climbing or jumping fences/excessive barking, etc.

I'm in the process of researching the qualities (and training needs) of CBRs in order to get a better understanding of the breed and whether or not a CBR would be a good fit for our family. My one concern at this point: Although I am consistant and firm, I'm not sure that I'm "alpha" enough to properly train a CBR. I do baby our golden more than a little bit.

We probably wouldn't be ready to bring home a puppy until Spring at the earliest.

Last edited by springfieldva; 12-06-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 06:25 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
Those are some awesome photos. Your girl is a beauty. Are they all rescues? I have a friend in NC that takes pictures of rescues and they do a calender each year.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The collar, at this point . I think it's adorable and would love to know where the owner got it - if you could find out for me that would be great!

As far as the dog goes, we're in the process of deciding whether or not to get a second dog (we have a much adored golden now). So far, the breeds on our short list are: Golden, Lab, Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

We know that a golden or lab would do great in our home. But, we also really like the unique qualities of CBRs (reserved with strangers, protective, loyal, intelligent, etc). I'm a stay at home mom and we have two school aged kids so we don't have much trouble meeting the exercise requirements of our golden - she gets a fairly long walk most days and play time in the back yard. We vacation at the beach, have lakes fairly nearby our home, like to hike, etc.

The things we like about our golden: she likes to get out and go places with us, after she gets her exercise she's pretty sedate, she's great with kids - our own and their friends, she was a breeze to potty train, she has a super sweet disposition, no behavior issues like digging/climbing or jumping fences/excessive barking, etc.

I'm in the process of researching the qualities (and training needs) of CBRs in order to get a better understanding of the breed and whether or not a CBR would be a good fit for our family. My one concern at this point: Although I am consistant and firm, I'm not sure that I'm "alpha" enough to properly train a CBR. I do baby our golden more than a little bit.

We probably wouldn't be ready to bring home a puppy until Spring at the earliest.
I'll see what I can find out about that collar and will DM you with the answer. I might get one or more for my fur-kids too As far as a Chessie being the right dog for you, you are definately going about it the right way. Do a lot of research before making a choice. CBRs train at about the same speed as most retrievers. What I like most about them is once they get it - it sticks! That goes with potty training, obedience commands, etc. Biggest problem with Chessies, if they are not given enough exercise they will bleed off that energy in unacceptable (and many time very expensive) ways A bored Chessie can be a nightmare on 4 feet

Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Those are some awesome photos. Your girl is a beauty. Are they all rescues? I have a friend in NC that takes pictures of rescues and they do a calender each year.
Which org is your friend associated with? Rescue calendars are one of the best ways to raise money. I recognize a lot of the dogs in this years calendar but not all of them. All the ones that I know are rescues but there are a few in there that I don't know the history on. I think they are all rescues but just can't say for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs