U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,329,569 times

Advertisements

Report it to anyone that will listen!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,843,310 times
Sounds like your dog gave you the answer. Good for him!

Also, if they tried to snatch the dog and you tried to stop them, they could have harmed you. I would report it and head to a different park for a while.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,689,032 times
i agree with everyone else. i think your husband is wrong. *maybe* if they were just hanging around the park asking questions it would be an overreaction, but showing up with a leash and no dog is super suspicious, and combined with the particular question they asked and their behavior afterward, i'd be really surprised if they weren't interested in stealing dogs.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 PM

19,820 posts, read 55,847,710 times
I can't add anything else, ecxcept to say let your DH read all these comments! Those guys were most definately up to no good!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:34 PM

3,592 posts, read 10,656,868 times
Ditto to what everyone else is saying. Two guys + no dog + a leash = probable criminal behaviour!

I'd like to also suggest that you print something up on your computer to post on a tree or any viewable area at the entrance of the park that warns dog owners of what you saw and advising them to be on the lookout and be extra cautious with their pups. It would also make any potential criminals think twice about trying anything there. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 PM

24,053 posts, read 30,150,183 times
what are the police going to do? if that happened to me id probably be coming to the dog park with a small carry piece in case the guys decided to try to take my dog or someone elses dog. id hang out more towards the exit so i could intercept anyone trying to escape in a hurry. the cops wont do anything about this because there is no reason for them to do anything at this point. you could try following them and check out where they go after they leave the dog park. posting signs warning people to watch out for dog thiefs wouldnt hurt. people need to be vigilant and when they catch someone in the act they need to dispense with justice on their own.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:10 PM

3,592 posts, read 10,656,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what are the police going to do?
people need to be vigilant and when they catch someone in the act they need to dispense with justice on their own.
The police will take an "information report". It could be that these guys are suspects from other dog parks or even other crimes. The report could be of assistance in targeting where they have relocated too and assist in their being apprehended. As for carrying a gun and dispensing your own justice - I would never advise that to anyone. Number one, unless you are licensed to carry a gun, it would be a criminal act. Number 2, unless someone has practiced shooting while in a stress situation, the chance of hitting your target is less that 5%. With that in mind, I say, if you see suspicious behaviour, call 911 and let the police handle it!

Last edited by Va-Cat; 11-09-2009 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-09-2009, 02:49 PM

24,053 posts, read 30,150,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
The police will take an "information report". It could be that these guys are suspects from other dog parks or even other crimes. The report could be of assistance in targeting where they have relocated too and assist in their being apprehended. As for carrying a gun and dispensing your own justice - I would never advise that to anyone. Number one, unless you are licensed to carry a gun, it would be a criminal act. Number 2, unless someone has practiced shooting while in a stress situation, the chance of hitting your target is less that 5%. With that in mind, I say, if you see suspicious behaviour, call 911 and let the police handle it!
if you can get a carry permit then its legal. my guess is if the OP is from california then its probably not legal. however, if the people are willing to grab you dog right in front of you then you may be in danger also. then i go by the saying "better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6."

i guess it couldnt hurt to call the cops immediately if you see them again. gotta be fast because they could be gone by the time the cops get there.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM

13,793 posts, read 18,720,181 times
okay no stay away from the park that is definately suspicious behavior . I think maybe Im more actually atuned to that being that my dad is a retired cheif of detectives and my grandpa was a police officer . Anyways when they ask if he was neutered , tell him yeah he is and why are you asking ? Then always , always get a tag number . I always have pen and note pad with me just cause you never know .Also we had some people running around here at one time asking people to smell some cologne and it was actually some kind of knock out drug and they were taking peoples dogs that way and selling them to a research facility .The police found out when they interogated the people and the lady finally cracked and told them where they were taking the dogs . The research place got shut down and two of the people got their dogs back , the others were not so lucky . People are devious these days so you have to think devious as well .

Old 11-09-2009, 04:10 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,386,542 times
Um, if I carried a gun, the only person shot would be me, in the foot! And I believe it's not legal here in CA. But, mace is legal and readily available so I should look into that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or