Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Um, if I carried a gun, the only person shot would be me, in the foot! And I believe it's not legal here in CA. But, mace is legal and readily available so I should look into that!
It's actually pepper spray and you can buy it in any sports store. Big 5 has it out there in Ca. I have one in my purse and one handy in each of our cars. Just remember to never spray into the wind!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
It's actually pepper spray and you can buy it in any sports store. Big 5 has it out there in Ca. I have one in my purse and one handy in each of our cars. Just remember to never spray into the wind!
Well, if you ever read a post of mine and it's terribly misspelled, that just means I sprayed into the wind!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Um, if I carried a gun, the only person shot would be me, in the foot! And I believe it's not legal here in CA. But, mace is legal and readily available so I should look into that!
its really not that complicated. you would have to be an idiot like that guy on the giants to shoot yourself. i just think its important to recognize that if they are willing to grab your dog right in front of you then you have to be prepared to protect yourself. i would want to take care of the situation so that the criminals cant victimize someone else.

it never hurts to call the cops. but the cops arent going to be there when the person actually tries to take the dog.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Nice small one-million volt stun gun, fits in the palm of the hand, has a loud alarm that goes off when you flip the switch, a wrist strap with a disable pin so an assailant can't take it away from you and use it on you.

Just disables the person for five or ten minutes and makes them a bit wary of trying the same thing twice, I'd imagine. Often, just flipping the alarm on and test-firing into the air is enough to send them packing. A million volts looks and sounds scary!

Thank goodness I've never actually had to use mine, but I like having it.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Quote:
So I took PC to the dog park last night, just like I do every night. Lately, there have been Bulldog thefts in the area and owners of them told to watch your dog closely when you go to parks or Meetups. The San Diego Bulldog meetup has almost 500 members, and at least 100 show up to any given event, so it's a prime location for dog thefts. We do not go to those because a lot of the dogs are unneutered and aggressive and they advertise so publicly that anyone looking for a Bulldog knows where they will be and at what time. Our friends had one stolen out of their locked, gated yard in April and haven't seen him since.

So last night we are at the park, our local park, which is nowhere near the road. You have to drive up a hill and into the lot in order to even see this park, so it's not like these guys were driving through.

Two guys pull up and are just looking at the dogs. They notice PC and get out of the car with no dog, and just a leash. They walk up to him and me and are checking him out. They don't ask anything except if he's neutered. Those were the only words out of their mouth. Then they whisper to each other and are just acting really shady.

At that point, my dog senses something and goes beserk, growling and barking at the guy (he is one to rarely bark), and they move back and leave. They get into their car with the leash and drive off. They did not have a dog in the car, so now I'm paranoid and don't want to take him back to any park. My husband says I'm overreacting and they were probably just looking at the breed, but I highly doubt it since they only asked if he was neutered and nothing about the breed. I guess he's worthless to them because he is neutered. Would you go back to the park after this? I really hate people sometimes.
Wow! I would have just dared those guys to try and take my fur-baby! I 5'3" and 110 pounds, but I promise you, they would have been leaving there injured and without my dog! Well, if it was Brooklyn they were thinking of taking, I would have just started randomly yelling "Oww!" like they were hurting me, and then I could just sit back and watch them have to deal with Brooklyn! lol!

No, but really, that is scarry and I don't think you're overreacting at all. If I were you, I wouldn't let 2 punks stop me from doing what I normally do, but I would make sure that I always had pepper spray on me and that my cell phone was always charged and within reach. I'd also not let my dog off-leash for the next while when taking him out places. Just be extra careful, keep your eyes peeled for anything or anyone suspicious, and stay prepared.

Oh, also, if you don't have your dog micro-chipped, that might be a good idea. That's always a good thing anyway. And I just saw someones idea about getting a taser... LOVE that idea! I didn't think of that. I'd go out and get a taser and some pepper spray! If someone tried to take my fur-baby, I'd LOVE to tase the crap out of them, then while their on the ground, run over and spray them right in the face with some good ol' pepper spray!

I'm sorry that happened to you. That would have really scared me! Just be extra careful for a while and I'm sure everything will be fine. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM

46 posts, read 104,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Wow! I would have just dared those guys to try and take my fur-baby! I 5'3" and 110 pounds, but I promise you, they would have been leaving there injured and without my dog! Well, if it was Brooklyn they were thinking of taking, I would have just started randomly yelling "Oww!" like they were hurting me, and then I could just sit back and watch them have to deal with Brooklyn! lol!

No, but really, that is scarry and I don't think you're overreacting at all. If I were you, I wouldn't let 2 punks stop me from doing what I normally do, but I would make sure that I always had pepper spray on me and that my cell phone was always charged and within reach. I'd also not let my dog off-leash for the next while when taking him out places. Just be extra careful, keep your eyes peeled for anything or anyone suspicious, and stay prepared.

Oh, also, if you don't have your dog micro-chipped, that might be a good idea. That's always a good thing anyway. And I just saw someones idea about getting a taser... LOVE that idea! I didn't think of that. I'd go out and get a taser and some pepper spray! If someone tried to take my fur-baby, I'd LOVE to tase the crap out of them, then while their on the ground, run over and spray them right in the face with some good ol' pepper spray!

I'm sorry that happened to you. That would have really scared me! Just be extra careful for a while and I'm sure everything will be fine. Good luck!
I agree, not many would try and take my babies and get within 5 feet without being tossed down. However that not being the case PLEASE call the police and give them the information. You have absolutely nothing to lose, and you may even be able to help. When you do go back to the park pepper spray is a great idea. I might also look into getting a extra long lead for your dog. He will still have the freedom of running etc, but it will be very difficult for anyone to grab him without you noticing. Even the most attentive person can turn away for a minute and lose a unleashed pet. Good luck and I am happy you are both safe, sounds like you have a pretty special dog. Take care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs