Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 AM

314 posts, read 1,104,825 times

Advertisements

Great Danes, especially males. are big babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I didn't read the whole 8 pages so maybe this has been mentioned before - but I think Yorkies are very needy. Lucy pretty much runs the household. She is either glued to me or Ringo; can't/won't walk down the steps; and whines to get her way. Her whine is pitiful! But very effective.

Ringo is so independent - maybe too independent. He's a Westie and will spend most evenings outside; even when we beg him to come in to play. Hurts my feelings sometimes!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:35 AM

17 posts, read 35,089 times
Red face Rat Terriers

My Amanda does not want me to leave her side. She is 10 and we adopted her from a shelter. Her previous owner (an older lady) died. No relative wanted her. I can not immagine why. She is the most precious dog. If I go outside without her, she will set at the door waiting for my return. I adopted her when she was 4. Being the companion of an older lady, she probably was spoiled. I am 56 and do the same thing. My husband and I make sure one of us is at home at all times with the pack. They are never left alone. Not because they can not be trusted, because they have all do what Amanda does. Our pack starts at age 4 up to age 10. I guess they are our children in a way.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 AM

I have a female and she is the same way. Be careful when you feed him. The main reason they die at age 7 is twisted gut. They run and play after eating. Dead the next day from twisted gut. Snowflake knows she gets her walk before she eat then she must get on her couch and set still for one hour. Yes, she has her own couch. She is a couch potatoe. She also loves watching TV.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:44 AM

I cry when I go. Growing up the dog catch in our town would take home all the dogs not adopted. I probably would follow in his footsteps if I worked there. I need to win the lottery the way it is now. Heaven forbid if I worked there. Petsmart was trying to give me free kittens yesterday. They would pay for the kittens shots and being spayed. Humane society is in great need. Here in Texas the wild fires (a couple miles from my home) left many strays. Sad. It scares me with the 4th being tomorrow and under high fire dangers. My Yahoo neighbor always sets off fire works while he is drinking. We need rain tomorrow over my house and this yahoo neighbor. Talking to him does not work. No burn ban means nothing to him. Pray for us.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:48 AM

Default Redfeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
You know, if you've ever gone into the pound or a shelter or a rescue, you would see the need for human companionship in every set of eyes. The way it is expressed may be different by breed, but the need is still there. It is so painful to see. They all need us in their own ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I think it's an individual thing. And weather you work outside the home or not some dogs are just very affectionate and needy. We both worked outside the home and our female EB was very needy, and still is, and if she could get her big butt into your lap then thats where she wanted to be. Our male wanted to be in the same room most of the time but didn't have to be sitting right next to you on the couch like the female. Our GSD were the same way, one wanted more attention than the other. But all four would follow me around the house. If I got up they got up, if I went to the bathroom when I came out there they were, all four of them. I think this is pretty common with most dogs. I now have a Corgi that wants to be wherever I am. My husband is on the road a lot but when he comes home the Corgi is just as affectionate with him as he is with me. It's just his nature to be very loving.
My Great Dane thinks she is a lap dog. I guess all dogs are need and get spoiled. Isn't that why we get them.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Our male was never crated. He was left at home during the day while we worked. He was well adjusted, got along well with other dogs and people. He wasn't as socialized as much as our female but he loved going to the vet and seeing all his friends there. Loved going camping and on trips, loved anyone he met.

Our female was crated for a time because she would chew while we were gone. She is also a very well adjusted dog that we can take anywhere with out problems. She does have a few issues about other dogs but only if they get in her face. She travels with my husband and loves it.

Neither dogs have ever shown any aggression toward any person period!
If a breeder wants their pups in a home with someone there at all times then that is their right.

But to say that anyone that gets a bully can not work outside the home is just not true! My two are proof that you can have a bulldog and work outside the home. The problem with bulldogs is that they can be very head strong. The owner needs to make sure that the dog knows s/he is in charge, not the other way around. I know because our female, when she was younger, wanted that job. Had nothing to do with me working during the day, it was her personality and she would of done the same thing if someone would of been home with her all day. It had to do with NILIF.

The bulldog that ends up with an owner that isn't going to take charge, does little training and not much socializing can end up with an aggressive dog. NOT because they worked outside the home.

I'd be curious to know how many people on this site have a EB and work outside the home?
I think people who crate an animal should be crated in the same fashion to see what it is like. I don't like animals being crated, chained, or dumped. Really get me upset in these areas.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
*raises hand*

I have big guilt issues about it, though. I have actually cut down from working 5 to 4 days a week to be with the dog more. He just turned 1 year old and I had absolutely no idea how dependent on people this breed really is. He'll follow you anywhere - even into the shower! When he's napping (which is most of the morning), he still opens an eye from time to time to make sure you're there.

My son begged for a puppy last December and I've always liked English bulldogs but basically knew nothing about dogs (I have 2 cats). Anyway, there are 4 of us humans in the house. My husband and son work full-time and my daughter is away at college during the week but comes home on weekends. Which leaves me - the one who works walking distance from home and has somewhat flexible hours. Let me tell you, when 4:00 p.m. rolls around, I'm running home from work to be with Louie. He's alone about 28 hours per week. Now that he's a big boy, he can "hold it in" all day and he seems to do OK on his own, but like I said, I feel bad about it. I know it's not an ideal situation.

That said, he has no aggression issues. He's great with other dogs and friendly to everyone (although he does tend to be a bit, shall we say, over-exuberant at times). He's OK with the cats, although I don't leave them alone unsupervised, more for his sake than theirs. He does have chewing issues, probably due to teething and/or boredom.

I worry about when our son moves out - he's saving up (it's expensive in NYC!) - that the dog won't get enough attention because my son often works long hours. I wish I had thought about all this before. Louie's a great dog, but going into this, I had no clue what kind of responsibility was involved. I don't regret it one bit, but I just want to give Louie the best life possible.
Keep the dog and tell him to get a pet cat or ferret or something on that line when he moves to NYC. Tell him the dog will not do well under those present circumstances. He can always have visiting rights. That way he will come home not only to see the dog but the family as well. Win - win situation.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Except for a few breeds, they all are. This is the main reason why I am a cat person. I think that Cocker Spaniels are the worst, though.

20yrsinBranson
My cats are no different. They are just as needy if not more. One of my cats thinks he is a dog or must have been a dog in another life time. He acts like a dog, thinks he should go outside with the dogs, has to follow me all over the house just like the dog, sleeps at the head of my bed, he waits for me by the door when I go outside. He is just as needy.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undyingnightshade View Post
I have a 9 month old rescued pitbull, I cannot move an inch w/out him following me every step. It gets very irritating esp when I'm trying to get ready to go somewhere I trip and fall all over him....It's almost a deal breaker at times I tell ya....
To bad you don't live in Texas. I would take him off your hands. I have a pitbull and love him to death. He does the same thing. Saved my life and huband's life from 3 copperheads on different occasions and alerted us to an outside fire caused by me yahoo drunken neighbor last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs