U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:23 AM

543 posts, read 1,152,076 times
Default Questions and thoughts about BONDED PAIRS...

A few questions about bonded dogs (particularly)...

How long would you say it would take two dogs to be bonded? What constitutes a bonded pair (the way they act toward one another, etc)?

What are the repercussions of separating a pair? Will they "get over" the separation? Will they have a sense of longing for the other? If so, for how long?

I ask because, my ex and I have two small dogs together. We got a 2nd, older dog about three months after the first. While they seem to be inseparable (always playing together, licking/kissing each other, etc) they can also be independent of one another. One dog may go hang out in the bedroom while the other stays in the living room.

So my concern is that I'll be moving back home (west coast) sometime next year and will be taking the first dog with me. Ex will not allow me to take second dog because that's his babygirl lol.

Will the dogs both be heartbroken so to speak? Is there anything we could do to help ease the separation? Will getting another dog when at home help to move on?

Just some random questions... I want to be as prepared for this as possible. I guess in a way this might be the same sentiment as having one (of two bonded) dog pass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 AM

1,203 posts, read 2,004,594 times
I went through this when my boyfriend moved to Massachusetts earlier in the year. He wanted to take the dog we got together and leave my dog with me until I was able to move up there in March next year. He ended up leaving her here because we both thought it would be hard on the dogs to be apart from each other. Since then they have grown closer together and Bella has bonded more with me since her daddy is gone.

I had a lot of people say to me that they will eventually get over it, especially if they're not from the same litter and were not brought up together. Either way it will be hard, and I'm sure a lot of people on here can offer you up a lot of good advice!

Good luck

Old 11-12-2009, 09:37 AM

9,629 posts, read 22,584,047 times
I can only imagine it would be the same as a dog handling the death of housebuddy. We lost our 13 yr old Golden a few months back...also have her son, who of course had been with her since birth. He most definitely noticed her gone and I think, was literally depressed. He moped about the house and roamed from room to room looking for her. It took a few weeks, but he slowly came back to his normal self. His ears still perk up if her name is mentioned, but he is fine now.
I would think your situation would be the same. Different circumstances of course, but the dog doesn't realize that. He will just know of the absence.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 AM

3,403 posts, read 4,476,221 times
Jazz and Dash were very bonded to one another having spent 11 yrs together. When I would board them they were known as the old married couple as everyone at the kennels thought Dash was the hen pecked husband and Jazz the over demanding wife.They were VERY protective of one another and if only one went some place the other would walk around acting very worried until the missing one returned. During his period with cancer Jazz was like a nurse to Dash cleaning up any mess his bloody nose made before I could get to it. They did spend time apart and did not sleep right next to each other but it was obvious they meant the world to one another. Jazz ended up very depressed after Dash's death which is where having Dazzle has helped as his being young she has to teach him proper behavior and that keeps her busy as he goes out of his way to get her going. Jazz is doing better now and acting more like her old self.

Dogs that are bonded to one another will go through a grief period when seperated but most will get over it. Think of all the dogs that were bonded to their human family that then find themselves given up and if lucky find a new family to bond too. They have an adjustment but soon life is good again. Do they forever mourn the loss? Only they know that. Dash was 1 yr old when I got him and if he had been bonded to his previous family and dog friend
(as the humane society said they had two dogs) it did not stop him from bonding to me and Jazz and that happened extremely fast in his case. He was so very loyal and bonded to me almost from day one that I can not imagine him having that bond with others but he probably did.

Dazzle I got at 8 month so he lived with his breeder for 8 months and was one of the favorites yet last month at 14 months we saw the breeder and two of her daughters and it took him several minutes to remember them! They were rather hurt by it but also glad to see that he seems to be 100% my boy! So yes most dogs do get over the seperation.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,509,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
What are the repercussions of separating a pair? Will they "get over" the separation? Will they have a sense of longing for the other? If so, for how long?
The difficulty with some of your questions is that the answers are wholly dependent on the personalities of the two dogs involved.

Dogs do not bond as a pair the way other species do (and then it's usually a mating pair). Inter-dog relationships would be more along the lines of best buddies.

While some dogs might mope or seem depressed if separated from their chum, others barely bat an eye. Some of the mopey ones might mope for a day, some for a week - it all just depends on the dog in question. But regardless, I've never met nor heard of a dog that didn't get over it.

We have a dog who was raised from a pup with another dog. Dog 2 dropped dead one day, Dog 1 was there. Dog 1 showed no change in his behaviour or attitude at all. If I had to put it into word it would have been as if he said, "Well, that's a bit of a bummer. Ah well. So Lady, are we off for a new adventure or what?"

Far more common is that the owners baby/spoil the remaining dog - but then blame behavioural issues on the separation. It's important that if the dogs are separated, their routine and your interactions with them remain as stable, as close as what it was before, as possible.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:35 AM

3,238 posts, read 5,829,957 times
Dalai (Shih Tzu #1) is 2 and 1/2, had her since she was 8 wks old. We rescued Abby (Shih-Tzu #2) 7 months ago and she is now 3. It totally amazed us how quickly they bonded. They absolutely adore eachother - playing on and off all day, cuddling up together etc. When we walk them, Dalai will sit and wait for Abby if Abby stops to do her business. Dalai also follows Abby upstairs anytime she heads up there.

I have no idea how things will be when something should happen to one of them. I'm sure they would eventually adjust....but I know it would break my heart.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:11 PM

9,186 posts, read 3,942,219 times
We have a dog who was raised from a pup with another dog. Dog 2 dropped dead one day, Dog 1 was there. Dog 1 showed no change in his behaviour or attitude at all. If I had to put it into word it would have been as if he said, "Well, that's a bit of a bummer. Ah well. So Lady, are we off for a new adventure or what?"

Latetotheparty, I loved your perception of what this dog was thinking! I have the feeling my Westie would have the same reaction if I dropped dead. "Hmmm, wonder if the boy will be taking me for my walk today?"

Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 PM

40,251 posts, read 43,086,481 times
It depends on the dogs. They both might be fine. They both might be upset. One might be fine while the other is heartbroken.

My beagle basset cries for hours if the labrador goes somewhere without him---like to the vet's office.

My labrador would be fine if the beagle basset was gone. It's not that he doesn't like the beagle basset. He just doesn't depend on him or affiliate his identity with him.

I also think it depends on the breed. Beagles and bassets are pack dogs. That might be why he's so dependent on the labrador.

To answer your question, I think getting another dog will solve the problem if your dog ends up showing signs of not getting over the loneliness.

Our labrador is much older than the beagle basset. Labrador 14 and beagle basset 4.

The labrador is going to do within the next couple of years. We know the beagle basset won't be able to handle it.

I'm certain that he'll do fine if I get another dog---especially a pack dog like a beagle---which is a breed I believe will be receptive to having a strong bond with a buddy.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:58 AM

7,550 posts, read 8,082,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Latetotheparty, I loved your perception of what this dog was thinking! I have the feeling my Westie would have the same reaction if I dropped dead. "Hmmm, wonder if the boy will be taking me for my walk today?"
actually.... that was fivehorses..... i only just now have 2 dogs.......

Old 11-14-2009, 04:01 PM

9,186 posts, read 3,942,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
actually.... that was fivehorses..... i only just now have 2 dogs.......
Oops! Sorry. Fivehorses, I thought that was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs