U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 AM
 
Location: East Valley, AZ
3,852 posts, read 8,068,889 times
Reputation: 3984

Advertisements

I KNOW I'm going to hell for creating this thread, but someone out there has to know where I'm coming from!!!

Beesley and I went dog hunting yesterday. We met two dogs at the same shelter I adopted him from 2 months ago. He got along with both dogs just great, but I didn't really click with them. When it came time to leave, Beesley would not BUDGE He wanted to stay and play with the dogs! When we finally got back in the car he had the saddest look on his face, like "Why are we leaving, mom?! I want to stay with my friends!"

Here's my question:

Do I get a dog I didn't really click with just to make my own dog happy? Or should I wait until I meet a dog we BOTH click with? I'm sure there's an obvious answer here, but I'm completely torn. Some outside perspective would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: San Diego
5,027 posts, read 13,056,032 times
Reputation: 4823
It seems like your dog is well-socialized and will get along with most dogs. I'd wait until you meet one you click with, then introduce Beesley to him/her. Sometimes it takes longer to click with a dog in a shelter setting. Have you considered fostering? It's kind of like try before you buy and you can better see how the dog fits in your family when it is at your own home. Good luck finding a new addition! I wish my husband was on board with that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,260 posts, read 25,640,085 times
Reputation: 25306
If I were in your (lucky) situation where Artie loved other dogs, I'd definitely wait until I found one that we BOTH clicked with.

It sounds like Beesley is going to like most dogs anyway. I agree with MAK -- find one that you click with and then introduce Beesley in a neutral setting. In all likelihood, he's going to click with the new dog too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 AM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 35,981,761 times
Reputation: 22076
Wow...If it were me....I'd wait until I found the dog I connected with. Since Beeze is social, I think he would soon click too. I have to think it is much like the cats in our house. Whenever I introduce a new one...lots of hissing and "oh god, she's done brought another one home" attitude....Within days (sometimes weeks), they are one big happy pack! Of course, introduce Beesley too...if he should absolutely HATE the dog, I would keep looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Santa Barbara CA
4,544 posts, read 9,703,234 times
Reputation: 8138
I think when you meet a dog that is supposed to be your dog you do feel that click, at least I always have. I rememebr getting my first dog as an adult. I found several dogs at the shelter I liked alot then as I walked down what was called death row ( back in the 80's folks) which was full of dogs that would die at days end there were tons of sweet dogs. In one run a dog sat quietly in the back, as I stopped she came over sat down and despite her being a matted dirty mess the instant our eyes met I knew she was my dog. Under the mess was a beautiful blonde and white english cocker, not even a breed I had been considering but as I said once our eyes met before I knew a thing about her I knew she was my dog. When I got her to the car she gave me a big wet dog kiss which was one of the few she ever gave as she was not a licker so I think even she knew we were meant to be together.She was 4 at the time and we had 10 fantastic years together.

I think you both need to click with a new dog as you both will have to live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: East Valley, AZ
3,852 posts, read 8,068,889 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
It seems like your dog is well-socialized and will get along with most dogs. I'd wait until you meet one you click with, then introduce Beesley to him/her. Sometimes it takes longer to click with a dog in a shelter setting. Have you considered fostering? It's kind of like try before you buy and you can better see how the dog fits in your family when it is at your own home. Good luck finding a new addition! I wish my husband was on board with that one!
I don't think anywhere would approve me for a foster dog. I live in an 828 sq. ft. condo with no yard. I'd love to go that route, but I don't think I have the time or space to dedicate to a needy foster dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 12:15 PM
 
Location: East Valley, AZ
3,852 posts, read 8,068,889 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I think when you meet a dog that is supposed to be your dog you do feel that click, at least I always have. I rememebr getting my first dog as an adult. I found several dogs at the shelter I liked alot then as I walked down what was called death row ( back in the 80's folks) which was full of dogs that would die at days end there were tons of sweet dogs. In one run a dog sat quietly in the back, as I stopped she came over sat down and despite her being a matted dirty mess the instant our eyes met I knew she was my dog. Under the mess was a beautiful blonde and white english cocker, not even a breed I had been considering but as I said once our eyes met before I knew a thing about her I knew she was my dog. When I got her to the car she gave me a big wet dog kiss which was one of the few she ever gave as she was not a licker so I think even she knew we were meant to be together.She was 4 at the time and we had 10 fantastic years together.

I think you both need to click with a new dog as you both will have to live with it.
I can relate to your story very well. I went to the shelter Beesley was located at, not knowing he even existed. Unfortunately I got there at 4:59 and they were already closing for the day. I went online that night to look at the dogs they had, and found the dog that stole my heart--Rusty. I went back the next day to see him, but he wasn't in his cage. We asked the staff where he was or if he'd been adopted, and they informed us he was at Petsmart a few miles away for the day (they have a traveling adoption center). By the time we got to Petsmart, little Rusty was in the process of being adopted We stuck around for a little bit so I could meet the little fella. The family left because they needed to bring their dogs over to meet Rusty before the shelter would let him go. I was told to call back in a few hours to see if he was gone. I called at 4:15 and found out the adoption DID NOT go through!! I called my friend, sped over to pick him up, and we headed out again to the shelter. It's normally a 45 minute drive, but even with our speeding and weaving in and out of traffic, we didn't make it in time. They shelter was closed and they wouldn't stay open for us to adopt Rusty. They're closed on Mondays, so I had to take time off of work and get there first thing on Tuesday morning to get him. At 11 when the shelter opened I was already waiting outside. I walked in when then unlocked the doors and proudly proclaimed, "I'm here to adopt Rusty!" An hour later he was laying down in the back seat of my car on his way to his new home. He was shortly renamed Beesley, in honor of my all time favorite TV show: The Office

Sometimes dogs are just meant to be with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,572,544 times
Reputation: 30274
I'd wait a while.....period. You're too new at dog ownership to take on two at once.

Once you've fully settled in to dog ownership and have Beasley fully trained then go find a second companion that both you AND Beasley connect with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
9,296 posts, read 16,247,783 times
Reputation: 11303
if she has the heart and space and time for a 2nd pup, i don't see any reason why she should wait..... she has shown in many ways that she has the "instinct" ..... and is certainly good about asking questions about things she is not sure of.....

i say GO FOR IT....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,300 posts, read 3,002,381 times
Reputation: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd wait a while.....period. You're too new at dog ownership to take on two at once.

Once you've fully settled in to dog ownership and have Beasley fully trained then go find a second companion that both you AND Beasley connect with.
I completely agree...you posted before that you weren't sure if Beesley was good with other dogs, right? You were asking if you should take him to the dog park? I would get more experience with Beesley and give him different experiences, build up to the dog park and then in like 6 months or so come back to the idea of getting another dog.

For the record, I know how tempting it is! I've been thinking about it myself for a while, but we're in the process of relocating and I have to think about what's best for my current pets and their stress level. Beesley is still getting adjusted (IMO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top