Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:40 AM

142 posts, read 571,228 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this should be under cats or dogs. One of my dogs will not stop eating cat poop. While it is nice of him to help me keep the box clean it is disgusting and gives him nasty farts. It wasn't a problem until we got a second liter box which is in our bedroom, so it is easy access for him. The simple solution would be to move it but at night the cat sleeps with us and he was using our laundry basket to potty in so it needs to be in the bedroom. They are covered litter boxes but he just sticks his whole head in it. Yuck how do I get him to stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 11:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
i just put the litter box somewhere that my dog cant reach but the cat still can. they love those little scooby snacks in the litter box.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times
They sell all kinds of hoods and covers to cover the box and actual cabinets to place the litterboxes in. Probably the easiest is too place the litterbox in a big utiltiy (rubbermaid type) box and cut a hole in the front for the cat to enter. Of course, if you have a small dog, this doesn't help much. Another way is to get a top entering litter box. I had just ordered one this morning..but had to cancel, since I figured out my Munchkin kitten, with his short legs, would never be able to make it out of the box.

Here it is, Amazon has it cheaper..in fact, you could probably make it! But it will give you an idea of what it is.
Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox at PETCO

Old 11-12-2009, 11:51 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,775,708 times
It is discussing but the dogs do love the Snickerdoodles. I taught Ben not to do it but little Miss Bella is not listening yet. Our litter box is in the laundry room off the kitchen. I keep the door shut when I am not in the kitchen or living room with her. I just have to remember to open the door.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 PM

548 posts, read 1,479,317 times
We keep the litter box in the laundry room and block the doorway with a baby gate. I have a dog who also likes to sample from the litter box buffet, and this is the only arrangement we have found that works for us.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Here's a link on how to make the Top Entry Box that was posted on the cat forum:

Amazon.com: M. Brooks "musical af...'s review of Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box

Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,100 times
We bought a booda box, the cat walks into this little mini-hallway before stepping into the main litter area and the mini-hallway part is too long for the dog to squeeze his head in! It's perfect! We also changed the location of the litter box to the laundry room. I can happily say I no longer wake up to the dog with his head in the box...once I surprised him and he jerked his head up and got the top of the litterbox stuck on his head! He was running around our apartment (at the time) whining all upset with a trail of litter in the carpet behind him! It was gross and hilarious.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:35 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,437 times
I have my walk-in closet gated off with a baby gate. I placed it about six inches off the ground which makes it easy for my cat to go over or under it but makes it impossible for my dog. Well impossible as long as he respects the gate. I would imagine if he really wanted in he could get in, lol. My closet is small enough I can reach over the gate and get to anything I need or I can step over the gate as it is just low enough (with a little tippy toe) I can get over it without having to take it down or sing soprano.

It is nice for two reasons. It gives the cat somewhere to go when he wants a break from the dog and it keeps the cat's food and litter out of the dog's reach. A good deal for all parties involved.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Here's 2 litter boxes in my utility room....keeps prying Dylan nose out and the one helps give a boost up to where the cat food..

Here is a cabinet where a box is in one our offices:

Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,826 times
If you have an attached master bath to your bedroom - is it possible to put a cat door on your bathroom door and keep the bathroom door closed? This way, the cat can get in and out of the bathroom but your dog cannot. We have our litter box in the laundry room with a cat door so the doggies cannot sample the 'litter box buffet' as the other poster called it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs