U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:13 AM

43,017 posts, read 49,727,727 times

Advertisements

There are many articles on how to train your dog to 'go potty' on command:

dog training potty on command - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:15 AM

3,388 posts, read 8,063,633 times
Ok, I am just going to throw it out.
The matchstick trick?
Also when does the dog eat?.
Hopefully not on free feed.
Mine usually go right after eating [well that is the habit we developed but eating does get things moving..............]

Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Ok, I am just going to throw it out.
The matchstick trick?
I googled that since I had never heard of it. It might just work!

Here's a link explaining it: Dog Behavior Training - The Matchstick Trick (http://ezinearticles.com/?Dog-Behavior-Training---The-Matchstick-Trick&id=233201 - broken link)

The OP should still have the praise happy dance and treat afterwards.

I think she should still incorporate a command too. She won't want to have to rely on a matchstick forever.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:50 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,610,518 times
I incorporated verbal commands (actually said 'Good potty!' when my dog peed) and now he goes on command...And I got EXCITED about it and gave him the treats while saying it. Of course, some people stared at me on the street, but this is NYC and we're used to strange things and people.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:07 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,777,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I incorporated verbal commands (actually said 'Good potty!' when my dog peed) and now he goes on command...And I got EXCITED about it and gave him the treats while saying it. Of course, some people stared at me on the street, but this is NYC and we're used to strange things and people.
Mine also go on command but the training was completely accidental. Happened because of a very rainy summer when we lived in Virginia. The yard was always muddy, the dogs always seemed to come in soaked and in need of towel drying. I started encouraging at the door "come on you guys...GO PEE...GO PEE....GOOOOOD DOGS....WHAT VERY GOOD DOGS.....DOGS IN!!!! Now all my fur-kids know when the trip to the yard is a "business" trip.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,858,575 times
OP - by all means try the suggestions posted her. However, PLEASE remember that you might be dealing with something bigger than you are and don't get discouraged or disheartened if it doesn't work. This may have left the realm of just normal house-breaking issues some time ago.

IF the dog has got it into its head that toileting is some sort of negative behaviour that must be practiced in secret, and if this has been going on for some time, you have a twofold issue to content with because as much as it's negative, it may also have become a habit. Habits - be they good, bad or indifferent - can be hard to break.

If the dog held his bowels for TWO days... not good. I think you need to take that as a pretty good indicator of how ingrained this behaviour is.

As much as it's a mess and just very wearing to have to live with, take a moment to appreciate the anxiety level of the dog. Every day, many times a day the dog is going to be very stressed when it feels it has to go. For your dog is isn't a case of "Hmm, I have to go. Excuse me, must go squat in the yard." Your dog is going to feel heightened anxiety and stress at the feeling of having to go poop. It no way for the dog to live and it's no way for you to live.

If "normal" training doesn't work, I suggest you speak to your vet about the use of anti-anxiety meds for your dog. The use of these will NOT sedate your dog in any way, but the meds combined with good, sound (read: positive) training techniques will allow you to break the pattern of behaviour. The meds are not a replacement for training, no. The meds merely allow the training to happen by allowing you to break an ingrained pattern of behaviour. The dog would be weaned off them once this is sorted out.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Since we were potty training our toddler, I avoided any words we might say to the toddler in the house. So, poopy, pee-pee, and potty were out of the question for us. We were afraid that our dog would hear us say it to our child and the dog would think it was a command and go in the house.

We chose the word "Pass" for the command for pooping or peeing. Just one word for both. Different words aren't needed. However, our other dog is trained with two words because we do used "poopy" and "pee pee" for him. (We weren't potty training a toddler by that time!)

I wouldn't recommend waiting to say the command after or during the dog is going potty. Doing so during or after potty makes it praise, not a command. The idea is to teach a dog to go ON COMMAND. My dogs go instantly on command the way they would sit or stay on command. And that's the beauty of teaching a dog to go on command.

I'm sure it worked out for you and your dog might think that "Good Potty" is a command now. However, the way to teach a dog to go on command is to say the command while standing there reading a book. So, the OP should take the dog outside, stand there, and repeatedly say whatever word she's chosen for a command.

Even if she tries the matchstick, she should say the command word. When the dog goes, have the happy dance party with praise and treats. Eventually the dog will simply go immediately on command only. After a while stop giving treats but always have the happy dance party with praise.

Last edited by Hopes; 11-15-2009 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: elaborate on the word pass

Old 11-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
OP - by all means try the suggestions posted her. However, PLEASE remember that you might be dealing with something bigger than you are and don't get discouraged or disheartened if it doesn't work. This may have left the realm of just normal house-breaking issues some time ago.

IF the dog has got it into its head that toileting is some sort of negative behaviour that must be practiced in secret, and if this has been going on for some time, you have a twofold issue to content with because as much as it's negative, it may also have become a habit. Habits - be they good, bad or indifferent - can be hard to break.

If the dog held his bowels for TWO days... not good. I think you need to take that as a pretty good indicator of how ingrained this behaviour is.

As much as it's a mess and just very wearing to have to live with, take a moment to appreciate the anxiety level of the dog. Every day, many times a day the dog is going to be very stressed when it feels it has to go. For your dog is isn't a case of "Hmm, I have to go. Excuse me, must go squat in the yard." Your dog is going to feel heightened anxiety and stress at the feeling of having to go poop. It no way for the dog to live and it's no way for you to live.

If "normal" training doesn't work, I suggest you speak to your vet about the use of anti-anxiety meds for your dog. The use of these will NOT sedate your dog in any way, but the meds combined with good, sound (read: positive) training techniques will allow you to break the pattern of behaviour. The meds are not a replacement for training, no. The meds merely allow the training to happen by allowing you to break an ingrained pattern of behaviour. The dog would be weaned off them once this is sorted out.
I agree.

She can be thankful that the dog is only pooping in the house and not peeing.

She can also be thankful that she has a basement with a concrete floor.

If all else fails, there's nothing wrong with leaving the dog in the basement from 7:30am until 2:30pm.

You'd just come home from work and clean up the poop. If the dog pooped on a walk, you'd have to clean up the poop anyway.

I'm just trying to point out that this isn't an intollerable situation if the dog doesn't change.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:30 AM

I'd get rid of the crate. It's not working. It's causing more work by the dog getting messy and needing a bath. Just keep the dog in the basement when you're not home.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 AM

12,425 posts, read 12,521,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I googled that since I had never heard of it. It might just work!

Here's a link explaining it: Dog Behavior Training - The Matchstick Trick (http://ezinearticles.com/?Dog-Behavior-Training---The-Matchstick-Trick&id=233201 - broken link)

The OP should still have the praise happy dance and treat afterwards.

I think she should still incorporate a command too. She won't want to have to rely on a matchstick forever.
OMG!!! I was curious so I clicked on the link. HAHAHAHAHA!!! If Artie would ever let me stick a match (even unlit) up his bum (even half way), that would be a miracle. Also, I'd feel ill. And? My husband would divorce me -- not on the grounds of animal cruelty, but on the grounds of "animal loving" or something equally gross.

Interesting trick. I could never try it, but it's fascinating. You have to wonder how the person thought of it. Actually, I don't want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs