Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times

Advertisements

Many working and hunting dogs do live outside to be acclimiated to the climate and because they are not really viewed as pets. Many of these get far more interaction with their humans than a lot of pet dogs.

For example, many police dogs ride around in cruisers and work all day long but are either kenneled at the officers home or in a police department kennel. Hunting dogs kept in packs etc. Dogs as pets a relatively recent phenomenon escept for the upper class small pet dogs. I totally agree a dog just stuck in a yard with no attention is a cruel life but there ARE reasons for some dogs to live outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 09:36 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I find it very hard to believe that the majority of dogs that are tied to fences outside ALL DAY are working and hunting dogs. Sure, those do exist, but the majority are owned by idiots who never should have gotten a dog in the first place.

Dogs Deserve Better Home: No Chained Dogs!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
I think it depends on the climate too. If a family lived in San Diego and had a nice yard with a nice dog house and the dog got plenty of attention, then I don't see anything wrong with the dog living outside. However, in most places it rains, gets too cold, gets too hot...

I also know a guy who has a pack of German Shorthaired Pointers that he hunts with. He keeps them outside other than the oldest dog who is like 10. He built a huge kennel for the 5-6 dogs he has. Each dog has its own dog house. It is attached to a large air conditioned detached garage, when it is too hot or cold, they go in there. He works with them everyday on obedience and plays with them. He is a bachelor for life kind of guy and these dogs are his hobby. He lives on 60 beautiful acres and trains them every weekend and goes to competitions. In my mind, those dogs are probably living in their own doggy paradise.

My dogs are indoor dogs but if it is nice out, they pretty much stay outside all day. I love seeing them laying out in the grass soaking up the sun on a 70deg day, they seem so content.

All that said, there is no excuse for just throwing a dog in the backyard and not giving it the proper attention. There is a boxer down the road like that. I walk everyday, sometimes at different times, it doesn't matter if it is 6am, 2pm or 10pm, that dog is outside barking like crazy when I walk by. That same family had a golden retriever before this dog. It was the exact same situation. It is sad.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
San Diego's weather is not as perfect as people seem to make themselves believe. In the summer months, which for us just ended recently, day times temperatures were unbearable in the inland areas and I can assure you, no dog would be comfortable laying out there in that heat. Your typical 70 degree day? Death to a Bulldog or any other brachycephalic breed. San Diego has 4 climates. When it's 65 on the coast, it's in the 70s inland, 80s in the mountains and 100s near the desert. Our 75 feels like the 80s and 90s did back on the East coast.

Right now, it gets down to the 30s and 40s at night and is definitely not comfortable to be outside all night long. People have this image that SD weather is perfect, but it is far from it. Luckily, we don't seem to have an issue in San Diego with people leaving their dogs in the yards all day. Maybe that is why we were voted the #1 dog friendly city in the US.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
San Diego's weather is not as perfect as people seem to make themselves believe. In the summer months, which for us just ended recently, day times temperatures were unbearable in the inland areas and I can assure you, no dog would be comfortable laying out there in that heat. Your typical 70 degree day? Death to a Bulldog or any other brachycephalic breed. San Diego has 4 climates. When it's 65 on the coast, it's in the 70s inland, 80s in the mountains and 100s near the desert. Our 75 feels like the 80s and 90s did back on the East coast.

Right now, it gets down to the 30s and 40s at night and is definitely not comfortable to be outside all night long. People have this image that SD weather is perfect, but it is far from it. Luckily, we don't seem to have an issue in San Diego with people leaving their dogs in the yards all day. Maybe that is why we were voted the #1 dog friendly city in the US.
I'm just saying it isn't as cut and dry as you are making it seem. An Akita or Husky would love to be outside when it is 40, if they have been acclimated to it. A 70 degree day is not going to kill any breed of dog, especially if there is shade available. It is over 70 deg in most homes during the summer. Most breeds of dogs could do just fine outside in coastal southern CA year round if acclimated to living outside. Inland in the desert, no way. With the shocking number of homeless people I've seen living in downtown SD, it must not be too bad at night.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Many working and hunting dogs do live outside to be acclimiated to the climate and because they are not really viewed as pets. Many of these get far more interaction with their humans than a lot of pet dogs.

For example, many police dogs ride around in cruisers and work all day long but are either kenneled at the officers home or in a police department kennel. Hunting dogs kept in packs etc. Dogs as pets a relatively recent phenomenon escept for the upper class small pet dogs. I totally agree a dog just stuck in a yard with no attention is a cruel life but there ARE reasons for some dogs to live outside.

Exactly!

I know a ton of outdoor dogs that have never been inside a house, and they are great dogs and very well adjusted. But they are also working dogs, not pets; and they have to earn their food just like an other employee.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:36 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
Aww, this made me get choked up. As a first-time dog owner, I had no idea how much work dogs are. If I had known, maybe I would have said no when our son asked for a bulldog puppy for Christmas - but I don't regret a single thing. Louie has become an important member of the family. We all pitch in and help. We've adjusted our busy lives to accommodate his needs. He just loves to be with people and we love to be with him! Of course, I realize some breeds can be left outside alone for periods of time, but a bulldog is not one of those, so Louie is never left outside alone for more than 5 minutes.

Obviously, some dogs are working dogs just as some cats are barn cats, and there's nothing wrong with that. But it's cruel to leave a dog chained outside with very little human contact and no purpose in life.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:34 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,610,910 times
WOW! You make it sound as if a dog lives outside it must be in H***! Many outside dogs have lots of attention and prefer the outdoors. I got all my dogs with the intention of them being indoors. The last dog I got 2 years ago, was 18 months old. I tried to make a house pet out of him. Since that moment I have had to replace 2 doors that he tried clawing thru to get out. For doors in my house I had to go to steel.If crated to protect the house he would scream bloody murder. This dog doesn't do this because he's alone, there is always someone here. He HATES being inside. I am buying him a new dog house today, but the offer to come in is made everytime I let the other two in.Sometimes, rarely he will come in to lay around or just snoop, about twenty minutes and he's ready to go out. Usually only comes in when it's hot. He loves the cold and is happy as can be.
Yes, many outside dogs are neglected, but the picture your post paints is not true of many. Too many people I believe try to treat dogs as human children (AAACK!! THE DOG CLOTHES). This to me deprives the dog of actually enjoying being a dog. They love to run, jump,hunt, and play at will. If my dog wants me to come out or to let the others out, he gives one bark at the door. When I open the door, he will not come in, just waits for the others to come out. I prefer to let my dogs choose what is best for them. Two prefer the house, one outside. Not because I love him less. Too many people feel they are being neglectful if a very loved dog is outside due to others opinions. In fact outside is actually healthier for many, especially with their coats and the changing seasons.
There are many toy dogs that have been bred to no longer be suitable for outside dogs, but that's another story of extreme breeding to please people.
By the way, my 2 borzoi think 30 or 40 is toasty!!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
Obviously, some dogs are working dogs just as some cats are barn cats, and there's nothing wrong with that. But it's cruel to leave a dog chained outside with very little human contact and no purpose in life.
I think that is the key. Dogs need a role and a purpose. That role can be as simple as a companion. It can be as complicated as a drug sniffing dog. A dog that is chained up outside all the time has no role and no purpose and is miserable.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:39 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
You can't assume that all dogs that live outside are miserable and are being ignored. My border collie loved being outside and thats all I'm going to say about it because I don't feel like I have to defend myself for having a dog that lived outside more then inside. It was her choice not mine. She was not ignored or mistreated. She was healthy, well cared for and very much loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs