Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 01:08 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,754,131 times

Advertisements

My neighbor found a puppy. It's mostly white. It's face looks a bit like a pit bull. I've just seen it through the fence. But it is cute. I guess they are keeping it. They have a boxer, a lab, and a mastiff already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 01:09 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,754,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I just raised someone's debit card limit to $3,000 so they could buy a great dane.
Not to sound insensitive, but I never understood paying that much for a dog. I think the most we ever paid was something like $150. $3,000 seems like a lot for a dog.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,527,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

i missed linkin park!?!?!??!?!

They were on more towards the end.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,241,062 times
Quote:
I just raised someone's debit card limit to $3,000 so they could buy a great dane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Not to sound insensitive, but I never understood paying that much for a dog. I think the most we ever paid was something like $150. $3,000 seems like a lot for a dog.
While I don't think these particular people should be buying this dog because clearly they do not have the funds to do so, $3,000 is not a lot for a well-bred Dane. Of course, assuming it's coming from a reputable breeders. My friend has 3 (had 4, the one from a rescue died). Those 3 are from reputable breeders and that's how much each was. No health issues, great temperaments and zero vet bills. The rescue died of a heart defect shortly before his 2nd birthday. Her current 3 are between 5 and 9 years old and show no signs of slowing down. There are reasons to buy from reputable breeders vs. rescuing/shelter. Some breeds end up in rescues for a reason, Danes and Bulldogs being 2 of them. If you talk to the President of a local Bulldog rescue, he'll tell you that, "Well-bred Bulldogs rarely need to be rescued." All he has is a ton of special needs dogs.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,944,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
While I don't think these particular people should be buying this dog because clearly they do not have the funds to do so, $3,000 is not a lot for a well-bred Dane. Of course, assuming it's coming from a reputable breeders. My friend has 3 (had 4, the one from a rescue died). Those 3 are from reputable breeders and that's how much each was. No health issues, great temperaments and zero vet bills. The rescue died of a heart defect shortly before his 2nd birthday. Her current 3 are between 5 and 9 years old and show no signs of slowing down. There are reasons to buy from reputable breeders vs. rescuing/shelter. Some breeds end up in rescues for a reason, Danes and Bulldogs being 2 of them. If you talk to the President of a local Bulldog rescue, he'll tell you that, "Well-bred Bulldogs rarely need to be rescued." All he has is a ton of special needs dogs.
debit cards typically have a spending limit per day .... you could have 100K in the account, but still be limited to spending $500 or $1000 .... its for the bank's protection as well as the account holder's .... in case the card is stolen or otherwise misappropriated.....

that said.... i don't get paying that much for a dog myself..... but that's just me..... have never felt the need to have some sort of expensive pure bred....... particularly for a companion animal as opposed to a particular breed or other needed for a particular job or other......

Old 09-13-2010, 02:51 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,944,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
They were on more towards the end.
i tuned in for a while somewhere in the middle .... nothing that interested me was on, so i just kept going.....

dang ... love me some linkin park.... would have liked to have seen them....

Old 09-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
debit cards typically have a spending limit per day .... you could have 100K in the account, but still be limited to spending $500 or $1000 .... its for the bank's protection as well as the account holder's .... in case the card is stolen or otherwise misappropriated.....

that said.... i don't get paying that much for a dog myself..... but that's just me..... have never felt the need to have some sort of expensive pure bred....... particularly for a companion animal as opposed to a particular breed or other needed for a particular job or other......
You could always go to the bank and withdraw whatever amount you want from your account, limit or not. We've done that more than once, a day before a trip for example.

And to each their own. Some people want a certain breed, nothing wrong with that! I will never be without a Bulldog, that much I know! My first breed as an adult and I have no interest in others at this point. To me, it's the best breed in the world. My dog doesn't need a "job." His job is to sleep and play and eat and be loved and frolic on the beach!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,394,771 times
Quote:
Awww, as a banker, I'm so proud you know that!

You have no idea how many customers we have that get angry about the fact that they're limited to the amount they can take out/purchase on their card in one day. Concidentally, they are the same ones who yell at us when a fraud*ster steals their card and wipes their account clean...up to their daily limit

Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:

You have no idea how many customers we have that get angry about the fact that they're limited to the amount they can take out/purchase on their card in one day.
I'm just shocked that people would use a debit card to pay for things! We use our airline rewards cards for every single purchase. Every one of them. Unless we go to Vegas, then tons of cash gets taken out! We pay that bill off at the end of each month, so no fees. As a result, almost every single trip we've been on this year has been free! I would never use a debit card when the reward cards are so awesome!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:16 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,394,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I'm just shocked that people would use a debit card to pay for things! We use our airline rewards cards for every single purchase. Every one of them. Unless we go to Vegas, then tons of cash gets taken out! We pay that bill off at the end of each month, so no fees. As a result, almost every single trip we've been on this year has been free! I would never use a debit card when the reward cards are so awesome!
Some of us (me!) have little to no self-control when it comes to credit cards. I much, much prefer debit over credit.

Plus, I don't spend a lot of money, so the rewards wouldn't be worth it since it would take years for them to add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs