Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

Ok, he's 12 weeks old now. STILL not potty trained. Im absolutely sick to death of stepping in puddles of pee!
We take him outside every hour or so, he'll go outside, then he'll come back in and not 10 minutes later he'll leave a huge puddle of pee on the floor. He's alerted us a total of 3 times at the door (thats it,otherwise its just **** and then walk around in it so I have to clean the whole ---damn floor..he does this even after we take him out!) and he wakes me up every morning to go out. He's eaten countless pairs of my shoes, and tried to go after one of my really good pairs before I stopped him
Im sick of having to separate the two dogs, who do virtually nothing but fuss and growl and play fight. He harasses my older dog even if the older dog is just sleeping on the couch. Ive been having to separate them both quite often just tog et some peace and quiet in the house. One goes on the back porch, Jupiter is put in his crate.
I need to get him in puppy classes, but as of this moment I am stuck training him alone due to finances.I feel like a jerk when I take the puppy somewhere and not my oldest too, and vice versa. He's due for his last round of shots, so now I have to choose whether or not to hurry up and socialize him with other dogs or to make sure he gets his last shots.
Oh, and did I mention he has learned how to steal,and has climbed almost halfway up our 6ft high fence trying to get out of the backyard?!

I will never, ever get another puppy. Too much like a human child.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
What Breed is he? MinPins are Hard to house train, Cockers Almost impossible. Sheltles & Corgi Seem Born trained LOL 12 Weeks is not that old really. Crating helps! & Owner WATCHING....

Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
He is 12 weeks old. Would you expect a 9 month old child to be potty trained? I think not. Seems like you're the problem, and not him. Dogs can sense when you are angry at them. My dog has never chewed anything of ours when he was a puppy. Why? Because he had no access to it. Why are you leaving shoes in a place where you know he can get to them? What you described are typical puppy behaviors. He can't learn on his own, he needs a firm but patient owner to teach him how to behave.

When you make the decision to get a puppy vs. an older dog you make an informed choice to not be able to sleep in, to have puddles of pee in your house and to have the things you leave out chewed up. It's common sense. Put your the things you don't want him to get out of reach and be consistent with the potty training. I hope you're not screaming at him and hitting him, otherwise he will never learn. You need to keep a close eye on him all day long and as soon as he squats, take him outside. It appears that since you chewed a few pairs of your shoes, you are not closely watching him otherwise your shoes would still be intact.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:59 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Is that post in earnest? If so, you seriously need to chill out. It's not cute, and you are not a child. You are taking responsibility for another life, which is completely dependent on you.

I have no doubt that you are the cause of the puppy's problems. Animals can sense anger, tension and confusion - and insecurity. He has no leader and he is confused. Leaders do not yell and scream and lose their temper.

Animals need a leader, not someone who is out of control and has temper tantrums when things aren't magically in order. Were you potty trained when you were 12 weeks old? Why do you leave your shoes out where he can get to them? That's almost deliberate on your part, since you keep doing it. He's a puppy for gawd's sake. A baby. I do not understand your anger.

You're "stuck" training him. - This should be a joy for both you and him.
You have to "hurry up" and socialize him. - Can't be done. You have no patience with him.
You have to clean up after him. - So what? That's life with a puppy.
He wakes you up every morning to go out. - This is what he should be praised for, so why are you complaining about him asking to go out and go potty? Doesn't make a bit of sense.

And he's "stealing" and trying to limb the fence? A bit out of control, is he? Where did he learn that, I wonder. Good end conclusion on your part: Please don't get another puppy or any other animal until you learn how to control yourself.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:22 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
I'm sorry, but your post scares and irritates the hell out of me. I believe you need to find another owner for your puppy as you are not equipped to deal with it - period!!

Of course the dogs are going to growl and play fight - it's what they do and will always do, so that will NEVER change and if you don't like it - please find someone else who will. Puppies need a lot of attention to housebreak. You need to take them out first thing in the morning, after eating, after playtime and many times when they are right in the middle of peeing in the house you scoop them up and take them outside. Then reward them with praise. The puppy may also have a UTI which you should talk to the vet about and have it treated. Even after a year, just yesterday one of my dogs lifted his leg and peed on the other dog inside the house for no reason - stuff happens.

Puppies chew it's a known fact. It is not their fault if you do not put away things and make them less accesssible to them. You get on the ground at the same level of the puppy's perspective and see what they see. Anything my dogs have gotten a hold of I blame myself for - I've found my shoes and underwear in the back yard and walked in on two of them playing tug of war with my bra they got out of the laundry basket, but I'm the one that left it in a place that was accessible to them. It is also necessary to provide them with chew toys you can exchange for something they shouldn't be chewing on. Even all my furniture have metal legs because I know it's the first thing a dog goes for.

There's plenty more information about raising a puppy and specific breeds, but it's advice and information you should have researched before getting a puppy.

PLEASE DO THAT DOG A FAVOR AND FIND A NEW HOME FOR IT!!

Last edited by Thursday007; 11-20-2009 at 03:35 AM..

Old 11-20-2009, 03:32 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
agree with the above posters. I was shocked at the rage in the OP toward a helpless animal. Poor little pooch. I think you all said everything I would say and I'm a bit perturbed at the OP so I won't say more...........

Old 11-20-2009, 03:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
This is really shocking. He sounds like a normal little puppy and you are way overreacting.

The fact that he is coming back in and peeing makes me wonder if YOU are going out WITH him, and rewarding him outside for peeing and watching him like a hawk when he is inside or just throwing him out the door and hoping he figures things out. At 12 weeks he is just learning all this and what he is learning is you are angry at him.

It really sounds like this puppy is NOT getting the supervision he needs, nor the interaction or else he would not be chewing up your shoes because when he picked one up you would BE THERE to redirect him to the right chew toy.

Good grief. Why on earth did you get a puppy? IF you can't manage a puppy, find him a new home NOW before you ruin him and make him 10 times harder for someone else to fix.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:43 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
have to agree with everything above...... my davey-dog is just turned one and when he got a little destructive a couple of weeks back, i knew it was my fault because he was BORED during the long long long work day....... and took steps to remedy the situation..... including asking for advice from people here......

and btw..... since i have been walking them in the park for over an hour in the mornings, he is WAY too tired to be tearing my stuff up anymore........

Old 11-20-2009, 05:45 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
He is 12 weeks old. Would you expect a 9 month old child to be potty trained? I think not. Seems like you're the problem, and not him. Dogs can sense when you are angry at them. My dog has never chewed anything of ours when he was a puppy. Why? Because he had no access to it. Why are you leaving shoes in a place where you know he can get to them? What you described are typical puppy behaviors. He can't learn on his own, he needs a firm but patient owner to teach him how to behave.
^This. My son's girlfriend gets angry when Louie chews up her $300 shoes. Putting aside the fact that I think it's ridiculous to spend that amount of money for shoes, why the h*** is she leaving them out where he can get to them? I know from raising 2 kids that when they're little, you have to kid-proof the house. It saves a lot of yelling, not to mention dangerous situations. Last week, I got upset with my son and his GF because they yelled at Louie and gave him a time-out for chewing up yet another pair of shoes - and this was hours after the event. How is a dog supposed to understand that he's being punished for something he did hours ago?

Same goes for the housetraining. I'm hardly a dog expert, but Louie was still making puddles when he was that age. Now that he's a year old, he can hold it all day, but occasionally has accidents, especially when it's raining (he hates to go out in the rain). Yesterday it was raining when I got home and he was poised to poop on the doormat. I hustled him outside - crisis averted!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:55 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
I'm sorry, but this is the 3 or 4 th rant on this puppy. In all the previous posts, the info and advice you were given on the proper training was spot on. At 12 weeks he is NOT going to be trained. Period. He does not have the physical ability to be completely housebroken. If your stepping in puddles it is your fault, not his.
If he's chewing shoes...that means he has free access to shoes. Again, your fault, not his. One does not have to be a professional trainer to figure out that you remove anything that could possibly chewed in the range of the puppy...ie the shoes. He doesn't understand they are not for his chewing purposes...all he know's is that he's teething and chewing on the shoe feels really good on those gums.
Poor guy sounds like a very normal rambunctious puppy. Clearly you don't have the patience for him. Time to step back, take a deep breath, and learn how to deal with a young pup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs