U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 41,176 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was looking for some advice on how to handle my dog's hurt leg.

Last night my dog (11 lb shih tuz/pomeranian) was playing with my friends dog (50ish lb english bulldog / boxer). They are well associated with each other and have played many times without incident, but for some reason it got a little rough and I had to yell to seperate them. After that I noticed my dog refused to put any pressure on his back right leg.

The size difference is pretty big between the two, and my dog is 12 years old vs my friends 1 year old, so the its not exactly a fair matchup when they play but its usaully pretty tame. But since he's getting older and the other dog is so much bigger and younger, I think he just got nipped on the leg too hard and then he tried to defend himself.

I looked him over and nothing broke skin, but when I tried to hold his foot and do range of motion he yelped and I stopped because it was clearly uncomfortable.

I decided to give it some time to see if it healed on its own, so I laid out a tent (to restrict movement) and slept with him through the night.

That brings me to now... He's moving his leg a little bit more and he's up moving around on his other 3 legs as if he never had a 4th. He keeps stretching his hurt leg out, but its still sensitive to the touch and you can see he's uncomfortable laying down.

As someone who got a million bumps and bruises of my own as a kid, and being close with my nephews and neices, I know that injuries happen all the time and a lot of doctor visits end in "just take it easy and get some rest.

My money situation is impossibly tight right now, so creating the funds to have him checked in the first place will be tricky, and if they tell me to just give him rest I'd simply breakdown. I just can't decided if I need to take him in for x-rays just yet or continue to restrict movement, ice the leg, and give him rest.

He seems to be in good spirits, but my dog has always used 4 legs and its freaking me out that he isn't using that leg yet. As of this post it will have been about 20 hours since the injury occured.

Please let me know your thoughts. I can't tell if I'm paranoid or not acting fast enough because of the potential financial reprecussions.

Thanks!
-Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 05:53 PM

22,267 posts, read 17,441,633 times
The dog needs to see a vet, in the AM.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:54 PM

5,266 posts, read 3,799,761 times
I would keep the dog quiet as possible which it sounds like you are trying to do(easier said than done lol been there done that) and make a Vet appt. to have the leg checked for injuries.
Could be a sprain or something torn.
Some times they bounce back after some rest and sometimes they don't, depends on the problem.
If something is torn that is more serious obviously.

Hoping all goes well.

Last edited by Summerz; 11-22-2009 at 06:09 PM..

Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 PM

9,791 posts, read 24,396,696 times
Ditto...I'd be worried about some ligament torn...Vet ASAP

Old 11-22-2009, 06:29 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
I agree: ligaments could be torn. And that won't show up on an X-ray! He needs to be seen by the vet ASAP in the morning.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:49 PM

24,548 posts, read 14,875,373 times
I've had dogs limping one day and then the very next day jump around and run around as if nothing happened. If it persists beyond 24 hours then the vet needs to see the little thing.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:54 PM

16,472 posts, read 31,224,125 times
and most vets will work w/you on payments. There is also the Care Card for vet bills - a credit card that many accept.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:41 PM

3,187 posts, read 2,780,142 times
My vet told me that when dogs refuse to put weight on a leg, there is usually a serious injury as they are tough animals who can endure a lot of pain.

Last year my GS dog tore a ligament in her rear leg. The surgery was expensive - $900 - the vet went for payments. We've had the same vet for years. Recovery took a long, long time. In fact, she didn't walk at all from mid-November until sometime in January and she is a 100 plus pounds, but not an over weight dog.

My husband and I managed to manuver her out with a sling to do her business but she couldn't stand up for it. She had to go where she was lying.

Just as I was giving up - a hard, hard thing to say, I had the thought that perhaps she wasn't walking because of pain. I got codeine tablets (cheap)in addition to Deramaxx (expensive) from the vet, and from that point on, her recovery went very fast and she is running, walking and jumping. I try to limit how much running she does as I do not want her to injure her leg again. It was very scary for me to think of losing her.

But I think a lot of people, with a dog that size, and the fact that she couldn't get outside at all in the beginning to do her business, would have chosen to put her down. I chose to wipe her bum, wash her bedding, and talk to her, even sleep with her on the floor - anything to give her the will to live. And it obviously worked. Love can do amazing things. My vet had no other explanation for it.

He thought, due to her not walking for so long, that she had a version of dog MS - something GS can be prone to but while dog MS can go into recession, the vet had never heard of a dog where it reversed itself to that degree. So maybe she didn't/doesn't have it. In any event, I was not prepared to give up that quickly. She is my heart.

I understand totally how money can be an issue but if you can afford to have him checked out, then perhaps you can discuss a payment plan. If you have a regular vet, they are more inclined to do so than a vet who has never seen you before.

Here in Canada, I have been told that pets can be surrendered to the Humane Society, and they may operate on the injured pet. The problem is that they will not necessarily give it back to you or they would be inundated with folks who don't want to pay for major surgery but still want their dog.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:28 AM

5,100 posts, read 8,674,271 times
Vet. Now.

My son was putting our pom out back one day and he 'jumped' from his arms just a couple feet from the ground. Acted the same way. Not knowing better (many years ago) I decided to give it the wait and see approach. Next morning still not putting weight on it. Took him to the vet and found out his leg was broken.

$2000 for the surgery because his legs were so very tiny. Then again, it was Florida and vet care in SW FL is ridiculously expensive anyway.

Point it, it could be broken and regardless of the financial situation, he needs to see the vet.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,702,750 times
I don't like the fact that he's still not putting any weight on it. Sounds like it could possibly be a fracture. You may want to see if you can qualify for Care Credit, and if you do call around until you find a vet that takes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs