U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,712,016 times

Advertisements

ok, so this is a long story.

my neighbor runs a small cage-free shelter (i've been in there and she's not an animal hoarder - she knows her limits, takes great care of the animals, and keeps everything clean.)

she was driving around our neighborhood (which is pretty poor) and noticed a dog that was always either running around on the sidewalk or chained on a short chain on a porch. she stopped one day when there were people around, inquired about the dog and offered to buy it. she always does that when she sees red flags for abuse and neglect because she figures if someone's willing to sell their dog for 50 bucks, they shouldn't have the dog in the first place.

the people didn't want to sell the dog, but my neighbor started bringing them food, and got to know the people who own her. the dog's name is crackhead and she's about 6 months old. as far as she knows the owners don't hit her, but they scream at her all the time. she cowers and crawls along on the ground whenever anyone from the family is around.

a couple of weeks ago she was driving by and saw the dog running in the street. she went home to get a leash (i honestly don't know if she intended to bring the dog back or just take her), and when she got back a guy came out of one of the other houses and said that was his dog. it turns out this was crackhead's sister (named precious), and he was happy to sell her.

as for crackhead, my neighbor noticed the other day that she was chewing her back raw, like she might have fleas or some other skin problem. she asked the owner to let her take the dog to the vet, and the owner agreed as long as she could go along. i ended up going with them because neither of them could handle the stairs at the vet's with a dog on a leash. as i said earlier, she cowers in front of her owner, but is super sweet and docile, and responded very well to kindness. she was scared to go in the car and down the stairs, but let me pick her up and carry her and was pretty cooperative on the leash. when we were riding in the car she was leaning against me the whole time. i was shocked that she's only 6 months old, because she's so calm. when we were in the vet's, she was on a longish leash but sat in between my neighbor and i, looking at us and avoiding her owner. it was heartbreaking.

anyway, her owner is now considering selling her to my neighbor, and my neighbor already has her sister. they appear to be rottweiler/pit bull mixes - both are pit bull sized with bully bodies and faces that are a mixture of rott & pit. crackhead is 54 pounds and precious seems a bit smaller - they're probably not quite full grown yet. precious has really rottweiler-ish markings on her face, crackhead has more like hound markings. i didn't spend as much time with precious, but she's very friendly, and a lot more rambunctious. they both get along well with other dogs - precious is living with other dogs right now and loves them and i saw crackhead interact with a loose dog on the sidewalk when we were picking her up and she basically ignored him. both are in good health and are now up to date on their shots - crackhead's chewing was due to a flea allergy. neither is spayed - for cost and health reasons (ie she'd have a hard time supervising the healing of a spay, especially with her 100 feral cats who have a house to themselves) my neighbor neuters the male animals but leaves the females intact until they're adopted.

Moderator cut: asking for donations

Last edited by Keeper; 12-03-2009 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: sorry you can not ask for donations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 PM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Please DM me with info as to how to make a donation. Thx.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:00 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,833,447 times
me too please.....

would be happy to paypal something to help out......

Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM

aw guys, i was talking about a potential adopter making a donation, but that is really nice of you! i'll see if we can work something out - she's not very high tech.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM

please keep us posted on her progress with crackhead......

sheesh .... what a name..... poor poor doggie......

Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 AM

i know, my neighbor was calling her crackhead, but i was just calling her sweetie, i couldn't bring myself to say her name. i find it hard to even type it! first priority if she gets her is a name change!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:50 AM

it just got a little sadder - my neighbor is still bringing food over there for crackhead, but they don't want to give her up because they want to breed her. sigh. they told her they'd sell crackhead if she'd breed her and give them a puppy, which of course she has no intention of doing. i did see precious this morning and she is super happy in her new home.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 AM

could she cross her fingers behind her back and tell them "sure!" about breeding her..... and then concoct some story about some medical issue where she can't have puppies?? people that ignorant might just fall for it... .especially if she alludes to mysterious female ailments......

aaaahhhh well, these dumbazzes would likely just go get another hapless puppy and ruin it's life too.....

nobody wins.... least of all the dogs........

Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,124,456 times
Sometimes dogs just get free somehow from their chains and run away... or disappear... never to be seen again by their abusive owners.

I would think that someone who named their dog Crackhead would probably not call the authorities to their house for any reason -- least of all a lost dog.

Maybe someone other than your friend has a place for this poor puppy.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,411,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Sometimes dogs just get free somehow from their chains and run away... or disappear... never to be seen again by their abusive owners.

I would think that someone who named their dog Crackhead would probably not call the authorities to their house for any reason -- least of all a lost dog.

Maybe someone other than your friend has a place for this puppy.
I'm a huge fan of mysterious disappearances in instances like this. If this dog is chained like you say, animal control should be able to do something about it. At the very least, email info about this to dogs deserve better.

DDB: Get Laws for Chained Dogs: No Chained Dogs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or