Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times

Advertisements

Not to make light of the situation...but I have this visual of PC in undercover mode! Reporting back to M on his wristwatch radio and taking pictures with the tag attached to his collar!
Sorry. Back to the task at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:37 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Since these "adoption events" are so public, it wouldn't be difficult to sneak in some pics, even if only with a cell phone camera. At these events, you're basically on a patio, with around 60 dogs just wandering around. There is no way they can keep track of which dog is which, and have no background information or temperament info on any of them, so they could be sending a dog that doesn't fit well with a particular family to that home. I'll see if I can get someone I know to go to the next event.
The thing to remember is no matter what she calls herself, unless she has filed paperwork as a business (DBA, non-profit or otherwise) she IS NOT A legal RESCUE! She is just a person selling dogs. Come to think of it.....Another angle may be the IRS. How much do you want to bet that she doesn't claim the "income" she receives from selling those poor pups? If you can determine that she has not declared herself legally as a business, a phone call to the IRS would also be in order. One way to tell is if she accepts a check, who is the check made out to? If its a person, its dimes to dollars that she is not a business and pockets the money with no paper trail. As we all know....The IRS frowns on tax evasion. Just another angle to explore. I wish I was in San Diego. I'd be right there helping you to shut her down! If there is any way I can be of any help from here in Texas, please DM me!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
If the animals are in need of medical care, there should be an animal abuse law.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
If you have a local tv station that does investigative reporting, contact them.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:58 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Not to make light of the situation...but I have this visual of PC in undercover mode! Reporting back to M on his wristwatch radio and taking pictures with the tag attached to his collar!
I found them when we first moved here because I wanted to find a rescue to volunteer with and I didn't know anything about them, so I figured I'd give it a try. I told her I could foster, and she told me to bring PC over so we can find a dog he gets along with. Well, the way she finds out is to let about 30 dogs loose in the backyard, with poor PC scared for his life. One attacked him, and the others were barking at him. We left quickly and without a foster. That's so crazy. I volunteered for a rescue in NJ and when we had potential foster parents, we did it in a neutral setting, with just the two dogs, not 30 at once. After speaking to other rescues in the area, I have since learned that she is well-known in the city, and not in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
The thing to remember is no matter what she calls herself, unless she has filed paperwork as a business (DBA, non-profit or otherwise) she IS NOT A legal RESCUE! She is just a person selling dogs. Come to think of it.....Another angle may be the IRS. How much do you want to bet that she doesn't claim the "income" she receives from selling those poor pups? If you can determine that she has not declared herself legally as a business, a phone call to the IRS would also be in order. One way to tell is if she accepts a check, who is the check made out to? If its a person, its dimes to dollars that she is not a business and pockets the money with no paper trail. As we all know....The IRS frowns on tax evasion. Just another angle to explore. I wish I was in San Diego. I'd be right there helping you to shut her down! If there is any way I can be of any help from here in Texas, please DM me!
I'm pretty sure she has 501(c)(3) status, though if she does, I can assure you she doesn't follow the rules associated with that status at all.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:39 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
Do you have a state department of agriculture & consumer services? I had a put a complaint in with the dept of agriculture here in Florida, but it had to do with cremation services for animals.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
i do believe that rescues have to have a license required by the state and if dont have one the state can shut u down . they must have a 4013C to get donations as well . I would make a phone call and report them to your local animal control and also the newspaper and the local reporters too .someone has to get the ball rolling and good luck .

Old 11-23-2009, 06:53 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
oh GREAT...... now i have the theme from mission impossible stuck in my head......

Old 11-24-2009, 05:51 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
oh GREAT...... now i have the theme from mission impossible stuck in my head......
LOL...It was a toss up between Mission Impossible and Pink Panther. Can you not see PC as Inspector Closioeau? (SP?)

Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
i do believe that rescues have to have a license required by the state and if dont have one the state can shut u down . they must have a 4013C to get donations as well . I would make a phone call and report them to your local animal control and also the newspaper and the local reporters too .someone has to get the ball rolling and good luck .
Varies by state. Mine doesn't require it and I don't have one. Doesn't mean I"m not legit. I have found that there are more benefits to having a 501c3 than I knew of and I'm seriously thinking about trying scrape together the money for one.

Would someone from the HSUS or SPCA go with you as if you were looking to adopt so they can see for themselves? Or other rescues in the area get together and go to the department that regulates her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs