U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM

337 posts, read 742,964 times

Advertisements

We recently adopted a black pug we have named ReRun. He clearly lived the first 1.5 years of his life in an outside kennel.

Here is the major thing I am looking for help with. He tends to run around in circles. It tends to get worst if he is anxious. Our vet told us to get his attention when he starts to break the anxiety, but he tends to go back to it.

He has never had toys as he doesn't seem to know how to play. Out other pug just sits back and watches him. The reason we wanted to get another pug was so Louis would have a companion and playmate. So far ReRun is neither. He isn't interested at all with Louis.

Has anyone had this experience? What worked for you?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 PM

6,021 posts, read 13,554,891 times
any way you can show him how to play w/ the toys? for example, if he has a squeaky toy, I would squeeze it a few times and put it right in his mouth if you can. if he's food motivated, get him a few Kong toys and stuff them w/ treats. I would also check out some interactive games and activities you can do with him. even going through a round of obedience training w/ him might help get him out of his shell

it sounds like the poor boy doesn't know how to be a pet. was he just a stud or something?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,192,060 times
Also, it's going to take time -- a bunch of time. We'd had so many strays over the years who ended up gelling with the rest, but it takes patience and time. We'd talk to ours an awful lot; soothing, happy...

Maybe walk the two together; start off with little walks along your street, and gradually increase as he relaxes more. This may be a good step to the two bonding. It was for ours. Good luck.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,859,531 times
i noticed the same thing with dave...... he was 10 months old when he joined our family.... prior to that, he had lived his ENTIRE life in a shelter..... he and his siblings and their mom had been turned over when the pups were 1 day old..... it is a no-kill shelter and they do a FINE job ..... but still, resources are limited.....

he didn't seem to have a clue about what toys were.... but realized very quickly he liked that squeaky sound....... and REALLY liked chewing on bones..... and that car rides lead to something fun.... (at least so far)

everything was brand new for him and he is still learning about the world nearly 3 months later...... including potties are to be outside..... not just whenever the mood strikes..... i need to figure out a way to teach him to let me know when he needs to go outside..... i have learned his schedule, so accidents have been non-existent for the last 6 weeks or so, but he still hasn't caught the knack of letting me know..... .. we do baby-steps with new stuff and seeing his confidence in himself grow day by day has been very cool........

patience and baby steps......

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM

337 posts, read 742,964 times
We have found 2 things so far that interest him.balls he likes to chase and try to pick them up (small ones for the pugs) and the LASER.

We have tried and so has Louis to get him to put toys in his mouth-not yet. Lou wants to play so bad-as he has lots of pug friends and that is all they do from the minute they see each other. I think ReRun confuses him, but he is pretty chill so he just sits and watches. At least we don't have any jealousy or aggression issues.

He is really sweet and loves to be petted. Baby steps for sure and we know that when we got him. I was just wondered if anyone had and tricks for the circle thing. We are trying to put some weight on him and him running circles is not helping with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Any ideas?-img_1001.jpg  

Old 11-24-2009, 03:16 AM

13,329 posts, read 25,590,184 times
He's young enough to learn how to be a young dog, with time and attention. I'm sure he'll change over time.
A lot of dogs that have been left outside were on a chain, and could only go in circles. He might not have a good idea of doing anything else, or maybe when anxious, he reverts to what he knows.
He'll be fine. So glad you have him.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 AM

3,852 posts, read 8,289,338 times
Thank you for creating this thread! My dog has the same problem. He has no idea how to play with other dogs! I have found the secret, though...dog parks! We started going to the dog park on Saturday and have gone every day since. He may not initiate play much, but I think by watching other dogs play together, he is slowly learning how to do it. The first two days he took a dog in the "play" stance as aggression, but now he does the same thing and jumps on the other dog to play with him. My dog trainer suggested the second dog I get be very playful, so Beesley can learn from him.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 AM

298 posts, read 896,926 times
When I adopted my dog he was nine months old and didn't know how to play with toys. Even when I bought him some and tried to play with him he didn't seem interested. He never really knew how to play with other dogs either. When we took him to the dog park he would sniff the other dogs and then go off by himself. Only within the past couple years (he is nine now) has he started to initiate play with certain dogs and that is only some of the time. I wasn't sure if it was just his personality or by the way he was treated before I adopted him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs