U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 PM

11,923 posts, read 29,050,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I am sorry. I would put this dog to sleep. It is not worth the risk.
IF I was 100% sure this was the dog & Not a Training problem I would agree. But the adv Dog ower has no clue. She needs to start by finding a good CLASS near her. 1 on 1 training IS Not going to change this dog. How many kids do you think are going to volenteer to be possibly bit? NONE SHE needs to learn How to control thei dog around others & a Class is the best way to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,162,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF I was 100% sure this was the dog & Not a Training problem I would agree. But the adv Dog ower has no clue. She needs to start by finding a good CLASS near her. 1 on 1 training IS Not going to change this dog. How many kids do you think are going to volenteer to be possibly bit? NONE SHE needs to learn How to control thei dog around others & a Class is the best way to start.
I disagree. A dog that makes unprovoked attacks on multiple children has a screw loose and no dog is worth the trauma and disfigurment that can arise; the OP has lucked out 3 times in a row.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM

706 posts, read 1,623,071 times
He knows leave it, sit and down. He is not a learner in fact, I think he is a little LD. It took forever to teach him sit, down, and leave it. Our other dog knows about 15 commands.

I walk him with a regular leash and collar.

He sleeps in his crate next to the bed

If he falls asleep on the bed before bedtime, we wake him up and tell him to get in his crate, and he goes right it.

He is dominant over our other dog...he will take toys from him with force, etc. He is the first to enter the house between the two dogs, but he always enters the house after us.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 PM

3,583 posts, read 10,006,226 times
Quote:
I disagree. A dog that makes unprovoked attacks on multiple children has a screw loose and no dog is worth the trauma and disfigurment that can arise; the OP has lucked out 3 times in a row.
Sorry but I disagree. Unprovoked is the key word here. There is a trigger with most aggression unless there is a underlaying medical reason. Aggression can in most cases be managed and controlled to the point where with some modifications to behaviour and some modification to environment and interactions the dog can live out its life happy, healthy and safely. Its obvious that the OP loves her dog and is looking for assistance in that direction. "KILL IT" isn't very helpful.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:53 PM

28 posts, read 167,315 times
Quote:
I agree with you, I don't know if I'd automatically euthanize or get rid of the dog, but it would definately be an option if training didn't work.

The OP has been lucky those three times with children and the once with her Brother in Law. This dog is definately a liability, and she's been lucky that the children's parents haven't reported her. If it had been my child's face that was in a dog's mouth, I can't say I'd be so forgiving. When I read threads like this where people make excuses for a dog's behavior, I often wonder how many "dog lovers' chose their pets over their own children. If they themselves had a dog that threatened their child's face or actually did bite, how far would they go to protect that dog rather than their child. People always think "It won't happen to me or my family". Dogs are alot like humans, and unfortunately, it isn't always a human's fault that the dog is aggresive. They all have different personalities, and what works for most, won't work for all. Even with wonderful training, there's no guarentee that even the best behaved dogs won't "snap". A dog that has already shown those signs in my opinion can never be fully trusted.

To the OP, if it happens when you take your dog out for walks, you should stop taking your dog out of the yard or stop chatting with others while walking. If it happens in your own home, when people come over, put the dog in a room or crate away from your company. Those are easily fixed situations. The part that would really bother me is once you bring your own child into the home, there's no way of constantly keeping your child away from this dog.

I didn't know if we were allowed to post links on here, but this is a good one. It may be a bit time consuming but even if you decided to have children in the next year, this would help for nine of those months. :-)

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-ag...ple/page1.aspx

Good luck.

Last edited by KanoasDestiny; 11-27-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 01:19 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,917,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanoasDestiny View Post
I agree with you, I don't know if I'd automatically euthanize or get rid of the dog, but it would definately be an option if training didn't work.

The OP has been lucky those three times with children and the once with her Brother in Law. This dog is definately a liability, and she's been lucky that the children's parents haven't reported her. If it had been my child's face that was in a dog's mouth, I can't say I'd be so forgiving. When I read threads like this where people make excuses for a dog's behavior, I often wonder how many "dog lovers' chose their pets over their own children. If they themselves had a dog that threatened their child's face or actually did bite, how far would they go to protect that dog rather than their child. People always think "It won't happen to me or my family". Dogs are alot like humans, and unfortunately, it isn't always a human's fault that the dog is aggresive. They all have different personalities, and what works for most, won't work for all.

To the OP, if it happens when you take your dog out for walks, you should stop taking your dog out of the yard or stop chatting with others while walking. If it happens in your own home, when people come over, put the dog in a room or crate away from your company. Those are easily fixed situations. The part that would really bother me is once you bring your own child into the home, there's no way of constantly keeping your child away from this dog. :-(
I agree 100%. I would give training another chance, but there is a point at which euthanization is the best thing to do. It's sad, but true. This dog is potentially endangering everyone that comes into your home or approaches you on a walk.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:21 PM

3,583 posts, read 10,006,226 times
Below is the website for the national breed club. I suggest that you contact them via and ask for a referal for a qualified animal behaviourist/trainer in your area that is familiar with your breed. Contrary to what others have said on here, please don't give up on your pup just yet! Work with someone that knows this breed and knows how to get them to respond positively. Good luck & DM me if I can be of any help!

The American Miniature Schnauzer Club - Home

Old 11-27-2009, 02:17 PM

706 posts, read 1,623,071 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. Come to think of it, he might have hypothyroid. He is so laid back and tends just to lay around all day unless we are on a walk. He also shivers like he's cold sometimes even when it really doesn't feel cold inside. He has nice thick hair, but I do notice that he sheds his undercoat more often than most mini schnauzers. Hypothyroid can cause aggression. I will get him tested and see what happens.

It it's not hypothyroid, then I think I will look for a couple that is retired and wants a dog that fully understands his problem and promises to keep him in an enclosure when the grandchildren are around. He would be great for that kind of home, because honestly he would be great for our home if he wasn't aggressive towards kids. We've learned to walk him at night now when no kids are out. If we do walk him during the day, we pick him up and carry him when we are within 10 ft. of a child.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:23 PM

She didnt day that the dog Actually Bit. What I am understanding is the dogs come close. IF thats true I stand by what I said. This Dog & OWNER Need a good Training class. Cause Only in a class can the trainer SEE whats going on. & yes the trainer may advise her to put the dog down. I had a cocker give to me from an owner that let it get away with Everything inc bitting. 1st time it bit At me I backed away. 2nd time by instinct I smacked the dog on the nose...no more bittiing! I will add that in the meantime she should Muzzle the dog when outside the home. & crate when inside & she cant Correct him.

Last edited by Katie1; 11-27-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 02:25 PM

Picking him up & carring him is ReInforcing His Bad Behavour!! And hes thinking he Needs to protect You from Kids... Put him Down Teach him to Heel & mind his own business. STOP treating him like a Human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs