U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 AM

510 posts, read 974,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'm glad that there's a happy ending to this situation. My first thoughts were that miniature schnauzers tend to be very protective of their people and property. In fact, all terriers seem territorial in that way. At least in my experience of having... eight terriers. I had a mini schnauzer growing up and the rest were mixes. Then there's the small dog syndrome too. My childhood dog, never liked outsiders in our house, although we had two friends that she took to immediately. She only nipped once, a great-uncle from out of town that came for dinner. We gave him a bowl full of liver treats for him to bribe her affections with. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough as... as soon as the bowl was empty, she nipped him. I suppose another problem was that he was giving her a treat every time she growled at him!! lol. Fortunately for us, we didn't have many guests over ever and we lived in the suburbs and without other children in the adjacent houses. So in the right living situation, almost any dog with behavioural issues can be fine.

I would say that my old pug dog and my current lab-hound mix is 100% friendly to everyone, including all other dogs. My other lab mix was abused as a puppy, so he's shy and suspicious of strangers. Had he not been abused, I think that he'd be as friendly as my other lab mix.

I also think that the O.P.'s schnauzer should have been walked outside the yard with a muzzle. And additionally it's a great visual aid to warn strangers to be careful when approaching the dog. Too many naive and clueless people want to bend down and pet every cute dog they see, and without asking the owner if it's alright to do so.

I also think that the O.P.'s schnauzer needed more physical exercise every day. Having the dog run around the yard chasing a ball is good. And in this case, perhaps agility training would have been a solution both for the exercise and giving the schnauzer an alternative "job" to do instead of protecting the owners.

Before petting a strange dog, I believe that it's best to slowly offer a closed fist for the dog to sniff first. Maybe even holding a treat. But based on the dog's reaction would determine if I were to go ahead and try to pet it. I also never look directly in a strange dog's eyes. Sometimes, I will pretend that the dog is invisible until I get friendly signals from it. And sometimes, I can tell that the dog is just not into meeting me, so I move on. These days, at the pet store, strange dogs always love to sniff my pants and shoes because of all my dogs at home. I'm a walking doggie billboard!

Lastly, I agree that it was a mistake to pick up the dog in advance of meeting approaching children. I've heard that the dog feels even more empowered to protect his owner when held close to their body. Plus now the dog's eyes are at an even higher height level, and so feels higher in rank and more powerful. In raising the dog up, now the schnauzer's eyes are at the same level or higher than the child's.

Otherwise, should the O.P. get another dog, she needs to realize that once she has her own children, anytime her children and their dog interacts, she needs to be monitoring the situation closely. Not in a paranoid fashion, but just making sure that her young kids aren't doing anything to provoke the dog.

I will always own some sort of smallish terrier mutt. I just love their personalities, but I also have a private yard for them to romp around it and I don't have guests over very often... and babies and kids will never be invited or welcomed. I don't even have treat-or-treaters visiting me on Halloween due to the way my house is placed on the street. And that's a perfect situation for me and my dogs.
First of all, Dusty got a 3 mile walk everyday and play in the yard...so physical activity was not an issue. Second, he was not trying to protect us...when our other dog was in the back yard and started barking at someone passing by, Dusty would run to the door because he was scared. Third, we only started picking up Dusty around children after the 4th attack...before that we never picked him up. The only reason we started picking him up after the fourth attack is because we did not want to get sued or have a child mauled in the face. We tried socializing him to children, but it backfired. I don't know a mother alive that would let us "experiment" Dusty with their child. In fact if it were my child that was mauled in the face I would be the first to sue. Fourth, the children didn't get "nipped"...they were attacked and none of the children acknowledged Dusty before the attack...and it was never on our property. If he hadn't been on a leash for me to pull him back, there would have been a bite...like a snake in the grass...no growl or anything...no warning.

I have a schnauzer/poodle mix (2 yrs old) that I have had since 8 weeks old and I have socialized him well and I never have aggression issues with him. Protective, yes...but Dusty was not protective at all...just scared.

I do realize that once we have children, to never leave our dog unattended with children, that's a given..and we have never acted in a paranoid fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 867 times
I have a 5 year old Minature Poodle. He is very agressive. He attempts to bite me when I clean his paws. He is very agressive when he meets any other dogs while we are out walking. He barks at everything, when the door bell rings, when he sees people in the street. When I attempt to comb him he tries to bite me. I have tried everything - I even had him neutered. We are expecting our first Grandchild in May and I am very anxious about the situation. If I put him in another room, he barks constantly for attention.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 PM

2,144 posts, read 3,029,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffertyt View Post
I have a 5 year old Minature Poodle. He is very agressive. He attempts to bite me when I clean his paws. He is very agressive when he meets any other dogs while we are out walking. He barks at everything, when the door bell rings, when he sees people in the street. When I attempt to comb him he tries to bite me. I have tried everything - I even had him neutered. We are expecting our first Grandchild in May and I am very anxious about the situation. If I put him in another room, he barks constantly for attention.
I would suggest that a animal behaviorist would be your best plan. It seems like there are some fairly big issues to work on and a professional will be able to assess the problems and form a plan to help correct them.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 787 times
I have a 5 year old schnauzer that displays similar behaviors. Younger children (generally any child below three feet tall) make him very nervous. He will usually keep his distance -- unless the child moves quickly and/or suddenly or approaches him. In these situations he will bark and then lunge. He will place his mouth on them but not bite. He has never gone for the face -- only the ankles and bum. This has happened a few times.

My dog is not aggressive -- not even close. He is a sweet with a good disposition and is overly social. Even people that aren't "dog lovers" take to him. In fact, he is a certified therapy dog that volunteers at nursing homes. In other words, this dog has been through considerable training.

I do not have children and he was not subjected to them much over the past five years. When he was younger, I recall that he was fine -- even playful -- with small children. I think that they are foreign and confusing to him. It could be that a small child did something that hurt him without my knowledge at some point. However, I suspect that it has more to do with the fact that these children aren't all that much larger than him and he doesn't know what to make of them. On top of that, their unpredictable movements and rambunctiousness seem to alarm him.

As I mentioned, he has not bitten -- he placed his mouth on them. It appears to be some sort of attempt to scold or even herd. He will also display these tendencies at the dog park. If other dogs are playing really rough he will run at them and seemingly scold them.

I do not think my dog is aggressive and I know that he would not purposefully hurt a child -- or anyone else. Your dog seems to display similar behaviors. I do not think that they are bad or "dangerous" dogs. I am not saying that this behavior is good or defendable. I don't like it at all. I corrected him in the past and I correct him if I even suspect he is thinking about acting this way. More importantly, however, I do not put him in these situations. If I know there will be kids, I don't bring him. And, if kids are in my home, I put him away. I also bought a soft muzzle, which I will place on him sometimes if we found ourselves in a situation that could make him nervous.

I hope this helps -- or makes you feel better that this behavior is not uncommon. Schnauzers are strong-willed and intelligent dogs and it is important that you work with them constantly to let them know what behaviors are expected of them. Don't give up on your little guy.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:44 AM

1 posts, read 600 times
Hello so I myself have a mini schnauzer "Chester" he is a wonderful dog and obeys most comands.[/i][/b] He is a great dog with our cat that we brought home after he was 3 years old and has never tried to hurt her. I got with my husband when he was like 2 years old and he has bit my finger once when i pulled a flea off of his stomach so i just assumed that was why. So my girls started living with my husband and i and they are 6 and 9 yrs old.He bit my daughter on her hand once and in the face really bad she needed stiches and it went through her lip in two spots and her nose had a huge gouge in it and now its scarred. She isnt scaired of him and loves him and pets him and is always looking out for him and giving him treats and he still bit her but i can see he does love her too.[/color] She was holding him on her lap and i was right there 2 feet away and i heard a loud growl and he jumped down and she started to cry and blood was coming from her face. i was so scaired it was so deep. So i am wondering why that is they act like this out of no where and with no warning like growling first and biting in the face seems to be where they go for so id also like to figure it out. I would recommend that you do not allow him the opportunity to bite any kids and let adults know about his aggression so that they can choose if they want to be around him. I would have him placed with someone else if he was only my dog but my husband keeps saying if someone did something to provoke him or bother him then we cant blame him but if he does it to a kid for no reason then he will get ride of him but i dont think we should wait for that to happen he jumps at young kids like hes trying to attack and hes bite my friends 2 yr old but it barely broke skin that time and hes bit me and he trys to bite kids more the younger the more aggressive he gets toward them. We just had our own baby and she is only 2 months and i dont trust him and i will not let him get near her once she can sit up and crawl. but my husband does agree he is aggressive but do you think there is ever an ok time for a dog to bite a child?? or anyone for that matter?? have you fixed your issue and do you still have your dog??? I need to know what to do myself

Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 PM

7,367 posts, read 9,292,133 times
Just from experience, be very careful with your dog. My son was attacked by our neighbors dog, and thank God someone jumped in-between the dog and my son or he would have been severely scarred. The owners did nothing about it, thought it was a freak incident. Three months later the dog attacked their daughter, scarring her face, 24 stitches.

It is hard to predict an animals behavior, I have to say I disagree completely with your husband.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 PM

6,276 posts, read 5,350,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaParham86 View Post
Hello so I myself have a mini schnauzer "Chester" he is a wonderful dog and obeys most comands.[/i][/b] He is a great dog with our cat that we brought home after he was 3 years old and has never tried to hurt her. I got with my husband when he was like 2 years old and he has bit my finger once when i pulled a flea off of his stomach so i just assumed that was why. So my girls started living with my husband and i and they are 6 and 9 yrs old.He bit my daughter on her hand once and in the face really bad she needed stiches and it went through her lip in two spots and her nose had a huge gouge in it and now its scarred. She isnt scaired of him and loves him and pets him and is always looking out for him and giving him treats and he still bit her but i can see he does love her too.[/color] She was holding him on her lap and i was right there 2 feet away and i heard a loud growl and he jumped down and she started to cry and blood was coming from her face. i was so scaired it was so deep. So i am wondering why that is they act like this out of no where and with no warning like growling first and biting in the face seems to be where they go for so id also like to figure it out. I would recommend that you do not allow him the opportunity to bite any kids and let adults know about his aggression so that they can choose if they want to be around him. I would have him placed with someone else if he was only my dog but my husband keeps saying if someone did something to provoke him or bother him then we cant blame him but if he does it to a kid for no reason then he will get ride of him but i dont think we should wait for that to happen he jumps at young kids like hes trying to attack and hes bite my friends 2 yr old but it barely broke skin that time and hes bit me and he trys to bite kids more the younger the more aggressive he gets toward them. We just had our own baby and she is only 2 months and i dont trust him and i will not let him get near her once she can sit up and crawl. but my husband does agree he is aggressive but do you think there is ever an ok time for a dog to bite a child?? or anyone for that matter?? have you fixed your issue and do you still have your dog??? I need to know what to do myself
No, you can't wait for that to happen. Your husband is being completely unrealistic. There are times when it's understandable that a dog bites a child, due to that child's behavior, but that doesn't make it acceptable. I don't understand why the dog is allowed to be around visiting children as young as 2, given its history. The bite to your daughter that you spoke of, probably didn't come without warning. There were most likely warning signs that you missed. But this situation is out of control, and now you have a 2 month old baby. This dog needs to go to another home with no young children.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,076,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaParham86 View Post
mod cut

On a scale of one to ten, I am a huge dog lover, about an eleven.
BUT! Kids come first.

There is never an OK time for a dog to bite a child. I have had dogs my entire life (no children) and in my experience, a dog with a solid temperament will do anything to avoid biting a child. Most of the dogs I have owned in my life could be stepped on, harassed, grabbed, pulled on, dragged around by or even bitten by and mis-handled by kids and would never even contemplate biting as an appropriate response.

However some dogs have very high prey drive, or have not been properly trained, and feel entitled to go after small, noisy, running creatures. So the first thing you do is remove the dog's access to small running creatures, including children.

I have in my life owned two dogs who were stressed out by small children and unpredictable. Since I don't have kids myself, it was easy to manage: no contact with kids. IMHO it is simply not worth the risk.

If I had a child in my house and I wasn't sure about the dog...zero contact and I would probably be looking to rehome the dog.

Amanda, I would be looking for a new home for Chester. A home with no children. He is not safe, and from your post it is clear nobody in his life is capable of managing him.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-26-2013 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: some people don't know how to paragraph - let's leave the editing remarks out

Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,910,557 times
Its very bothering that the dog attacked children and (according to you), these were no nips, but real attacks.
1) You probably do not know how to read your dog's body language. I am quite confident that there were signs the dog is going to strike. I suggest consulting a dog behaviorist who can teach you what to do and how to "read" your dog.
2) One way or another, do not let the children be close to the dog, or "in his face". Some separation is mandatory.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 AM

8,394 posts, read 7,247,526 times
Get rid of the dog...End of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs