U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 PM

1,932 posts, read 7,406,284 times

Advertisements

Our neighbors that live across the street have 3 big dogs. One looks like a "pit bull" type breed and the other two are mutts, they look like some kind of shepherd lab mix mabey. So they have three big dogs and they are ALWAYS out in their front yard unleashed! I dont think I have ever seen any of their dogs on a leash!.. Anyway, my husband just went out to take our oldest American Pit Bull Terrier (1 year old Brooklyn) for a quick walk around the block. As my husband and Brooklyn were walking up to our drive way one of the nighbors mix breed dogs comes running over and attacked Brooklyn! My husband (Serg) was trying to pull Brooklyn back, but Brooklyn was wearing one of those choker collers so he was getting choked while he was getting attacked! There wasnt really anything else Serg could do but try to pull the dogs appart! After a min. Brooklyn had the mix breed dog by the neck and was trying to shake the dog around! This whole time Serg is trying to pull Brooklyn back and get the other dog to go away... The dogs owner was just slowly walking to his dog and yelling at my husband to get Brooklyn off of his dog! -Remember now, our dog was right at the end of our driveway on a leash! This dog ran up and attacked our dog!- So the guy finally gets to his dog and they got the dogs appart and they guy just walked back to his house! .. There was no, Im sorry or is you dog okay? NOTHING! So when Serg and Brooklyn got in the house we found out that Brooklyn has two pretty big cuts on his head and a few scrapes. Nothing bad enough to need to go see the vet, but you know that has to hurt! .. I am so mad! This is the 2nd time this has happened! The first time neither dog had and real cuts or anything though... My next door neighbor/ best friend has two young kids. A 2 year old little boy and a 4 year old little girl. The kids are always playing in their front yard! Not to mention that ALOT of the people that live close to us are older (80+) and are always walking their little dogs around!.. I guess if something like this was going to happen, I am just glad it happend to Brooklyn (1 year old and about 75lbs) who can stand up for him self instead of our other American Pit Bull Terrier, Destiny (shes 4 months old and about 20lbs!), my best friends two young children (or anyother child!), or one of the older people that always walk their little 10 and 15lb dogs around here!.... BUT I am still pissed! Our dogs are like our kids and Brooklyn didnt deserve that! He wasnt even paying attention to those dogs! He was walking up to our house, on his leash, with his daddy!... These people arent bad people, they take really good care of their dogs and their dogs are normally pretty nice! I want to call someone and report this, next time one of those dogs attack it could be a child, a small dog, or someones grandparent or great grandperent! I dont want anyone to get hurt! But, at the same time I dont want the dogs to get taken away and put to sleep! They just need to be in the house, in a fence, or on a leash!.. I am thinking about talking to them first, I am going to let them know that next time I see those dogs outside without a leash on I will report it... Who should I call though? Like I said, the dogs dont need to be taken or put to sleep, but the need to be under control!... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Moderator cut: manual signatures not allowed

P.S.

I am sorry that my whole story was all pretty much one lloonngg sentance! lol I am just kinda mad and in a hurry! lol!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 PM

389 posts, read 2,530,046 times
I know this is really scarey, and you are right, it shouldn't have happened and I am glad your baby is oK. I would take a day or two to "cool off" and calm down and then talk to your neighbor and tell them exactly what you just said. You don't want any harm to come to his dogs, but you also can't have your dogs being attacked and unable to get them apart because their dogs are unleashed and going crazy on your dogs. If it does come down to reporting it, I think you can try either your local police or animal control...I would try the police first, but I don't know that they can do much more than warn the neighbor (which may be enough to get them to restrain their dogs) and unless the dogs attack a person, I don't think they will be taken away unless charges are filed from an animal being attacked (don't quote me on this, but from what I see happen at work, when we get a dog that has been attacked, it seems like it's kind of up to the owners to decide how to handle it). Also, though I know it's really freaky to have this happen, it is very possible that the dogs are "just" dog agressive and may not pose a threat to people or children (though I would definitely keep a close eye)

If the neighbor doesn't want to hear what you have to say, you can just keep reporting them until they do something...but in the mean time, I would definitely take a good look around before I took my own dogs out.

Good luck to you, and I hope you can resolve this peacefully...I know you would feel terrible if the dogs get taken away, but seriously, if they are posing a real threat, they shouldn't be roaming free.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:02 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 6,776,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Our neighbors that live across the street have 3 big dogs. One looks like a "pit bull" type breed and the other two are mutts, they look like some kind of shepherd lab mix mabey. So they have three big dogs and they are ALWAYS out in their front yard unleashed! I dont think I have ever seen any of their dogs on a leash!.. Anyway, my husband just went out to take our oldest American Pit Bull Terrier (1 year old Brooklyn) for a quick walk around the block. As my husband and Brooklyn were walking up to our drive way one of the nighbors mix breed dogs comes running over and attacked Brooklyn! My husband (Serg) was trying to pull Brooklyn back, but Brooklyn was wearing one of those choker collers so he was getting choked while he was getting attacked! There wasnt really anything else Serg could do but try to pull the dogs appart! After a min. Brooklyn had the mix breed dog by the neck and was trying to shake the dog around! This whole time Serg is trying to pull Brooklyn back and get the other dog to go away... The dogs owner was just slowly walking to his dog and yelling at my husband to get Brooklyn off of his dog! -Remember now, our dog was right at the end of our driveway on a leash! This dog ran up and attacked our dog!- So the guy finally gets to his dog and they got the dogs appart and they guy just walked back to his house! .. There was no, Im sorry or is you dog okay? NOTHING! So when Serg and Brooklyn got in the house we found out that Brooklyn has two pretty big cuts on his head and a few scrapes. Nothing bad enough to need to go see the vet, but you know that has to hurt! .. I am so mad! This is the 2nd time this has happened! The first time neither dog had and real cuts or anything though... My next door neighbor/ best friend has two young kids. A 2 year old little boy and a 4 year old little girl. The kids are always playing in their front yard! Not to mention that ALOT of the people that live close to us are older (80+) and are always walking their little dogs around!.. I guess if something like this was going to happen, I am just glad it happend to Brooklyn (1 year old and about 75lbs) who can stand up for him self instead of our other American Pit Bull Terrier, Destiny (shes 4 months old and about 20lbs!), my best friends two young children (or anyother child!), or one of the older people that always walk their little 10 and 15lb dogs around here!.... BUT I am still pissed! Our dogs are like our kids and Brooklyn didnt deserve that! He wasnt even paying attention to those dogs! He was walking up to our house, on his leash, with his daddy!... These people arent bad people, they take really good care of their dogs and their dogs are normally pretty nice! I want to call someone and report this, next time one of those dogs attack it could be a child, a small dog, or someones grandparent or great grandperent! I dont want anyone to get hurt! But, at the same time I dont want the dogs to get taken away and put to sleep! They just need to be in the house, in a fence, or on a leash!.. I am thinking about talking to them first, I am going to let them know that next time I see those dogs outside without a leash on I will report it... Who should I call though? Like I said, the dogs dont need to be taken or put to sleep, but the need to be under control!... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

~Kim, Brooklyn and Destiny!~

P.S.

I am sorry that my whole story was all pretty much one lloonngg sentance! lol I am just kinda mad and in a hurry! lol!
I am so, so sorry this happen to you and your pet.
We were attacked down in FL several times....and every time it was a pit!!!!!
(Is that breed the latest "fashion accessory" of sort, because everyone has one it seems? With that said, even unqualified people as well, unfortunately! )
Well, after my husband and german shepherd "miko" were attacked for the third time (our dog on the leash, attacking dog always roams around), my husband has had enough. He went to the absolut extreme.....he went over to the owner and told him, he will make sure he will walk our dog with his gun from now on. If he, my hubby, would get attacked one more time, he will shot my neighbors attacking dog! (Don't worry....all show as my husband loves his "pals" I think more then me...lol)
Guess what...it worked, and from then on the dog was confined into the fenced back yard. (Guess my neighbor didn't want trouble with the police.....)

Old 05-16-2007, 11:21 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,784,125 times
Oh, I want to go have a talk to your neighbor right now!

Brooklyn did the right thing and you got to see her in action and you know she can handle herself, let's hope the neighbor took note as well.

I would take Brooklyn to the vet right away (tomorrow morning). Even though she's probably fine, dogs mouths can be nasty and the vet might want to give her some antibiotic shots. Have your vet detail the bill in full and take a full report - get copies.

I would calmy approach the neighbor and say "this is it - your dogs will not be loose in your front yard ever again and you are paying this vet bill in full right now".

If there is the slightest bit of flack from your neighbor, call the police. Since both you and Serg saw the dog loose on your lawn, your neighbor was 'harboring a nuisance' and this is pretty serious (fines can be hundreds). It takes only 2 eyewitnesses - you and your husband - to make a report, plus you'll have the vet reports to back up your claim.

I am sick, sick, sick of loose dogs! What is up with people??? If you live in the country, that's one thing, but when you live in the suburbs or an urban area?? It's just a matter of time before things go wrong.

I know Brooklyn's fine - she's a pittie after all! Tough as nails! I know it was scary, but I'm glad you're all fine. Use the opportunity to educate your neighbor.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:41 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,702,824 times
I can understand your concerns, but next time it just might be a child or the death of one of your own dogs. I would make the call now to your local law enforcement office rather than wait for "the next time" to happen.

As a precaution I would take Brooklyn to the vet to have the wounds checked out incase of infection.

Good luck with your decision

Old 05-17-2007, 05:06 AM

1,117 posts, read 3,197,682 times
Call the police and report the attack. Take your dog to the vet to have it checked. Should any further incidents occur from these aggressive dogs, there is a record of previous violent behavior should you or a neighbor need to take them to court.

I had this situation happen years ago. The people whose dogs attacked mine (a small breed dog) had to pay the vet bills, which totalled $400.00 + because of the extent of the injuries to my dog.

Those same dogs later killed another neighbor's cocker spaniel. They also took these people to court, and they were found liable. Strange though, the aggressive dogs were not euthanized. (I detest the thought of putting a dog down, but when they are obviously aggressive, it's a danger to the community).

Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 AM

1,384 posts, read 173,952 times
I agree with the police advice.

My dog was leashed on my property and was attacked a month ago at my feet by a neighbor's unleashed dog. I swear, it sounded like your story: the owner (an 18-year-old kid, but still) just shuffled over and did not try to stop it and NEVER said I'm sorry. Thank god I was there to stop it.

I called the cops. The first call on any dog is only a warning in our town. However, if anyone calls on that dog again, he'll be evaluated and only taken away if he's deemed a dangerous dog.

You need a paper trail to document this dog's behavior. Let the cops take care of your jerk neighbor and maybe fine him for violating leash laws. The cops will also reiterate the importance of compliance with keeping dogs fenced.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:28 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,702,824 times
Take some photos of your neighbor's dogs roaming free and unsupervised. Also, Brooklyn's injuries. A photo can be worth a thousand words if your neighbor tries to weasle his way out of this.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,836,305 times
You MUST to make an official complaint on record. What if a child gets attacked next time? And talk to your other neighbors to see if they have had other run-ins. Keep filing those complaints. And keep evidence (photos) and a log book about them and your incident.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,614,000 times
I agree file a report, a formal police report. You should not feel guilty. If these dogs are allowed to continue to be off leash, a dog or a person will likely suffer your neighbor's negligence.
Not all pitties are aggressive, but these dogs have the upper hand, hence they are off leach and out of control, It is people like your neighbors that make all pitties and their owners suffer...you know the legislation that is currently on the table. You owe it to every pit bull owner, to take this very seriously.
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs