Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,989,210 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much all of you for the out pouring of generosity! Buggah is 57 lbs. I still need to confirm)just a formality) that there is no evidence of heartworm before any preventative is given. And frankly, don't laugh, but my Dh suffers from an anxiety disorder and is suspicious of most things I get in the mail. I would have to accept gifts on the sly!

Right now I'm thinking we can afford the rotating vet clinic since Buggah is in good health generally--no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,369,063 times
In the meantime I'd be looking for a new vet! Mod cutMy vet not only would approve something like that, they told me if I wanted to use cattle Ivermec for the dogs for HW prevention they'd give me the break down. They also gave me the breakdown for Frontline which saved us a fortune. Sounds like your vet simply wants to make money, not do what's best for your pet, and that pisses me off. I hate vets like that. Florida was full of them.

If you'd like the breakdown on Frontline too, let me know. I'd be happy to send you that. With your dog's weight you can buy the 3 dose large Frontline and make it last 6 months. Cuts your Frontline cost in half. And if you find a good vet, they'll sell you vaccinations and you can vacc your dog at home next year. Mine charges me $6 for annual vaccs and $5 for the rabies. They have to do the rabies in the office by law, but I can take the annual vaccs home to do myself.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-28-2010 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-04-2009, 03:17 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,989,210 times
Yeah, I do believe they overprice many services and medications. We have had our pets there for several surgical procedures , though, and I've been very pleased with their expertise for major stuff. I"ll be relying on other vets and providers for more routine stuff in the near future.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,076,138 times
Y'all have been truly informative!
I'm not having this issue (hope to never have it) but I know where I will turn in case I need some help.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:50 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,964,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I'm afraid we're in a situation I never dared to imagine. My husband and I are both partially employed (he has sub contract work for now, I am unemployed) and we are having difficulty with the cost of our beloved dog's preventitive care. I used a walk -in clinic instead of our regular vet for his annual Lyme,distemper vaccine. Now I am informed by my vet that they cannot O.K. his prescription for Heartgard from the online pet meds co.
Does anyone have any suggestions such as nonprofit agencies that can supplement or grant preventative care. My dog is 10 years old and in very good health and I would like to keep it that way for as long as I can.
Sent you a PM.
I know how expensive this all can get

Old 02-26-2010, 05:07 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,958,779 times
www.deadfleaz.com is a great place for frontline and the other flea and tick preventatives..... was going to get james beagle 6 months worth from petco last night (my petsmart does not carry it because this one does not have a vet on premise) but OH.MY.GOD. ..... they wanted $65 for THREE FREAKING MONTHS!! .... came home and ordered 6 months application, that with shipping, was $56 ...... its an australian company, but when i have ordered from them before, my order has arrived within a week.... am having james' shipped to his new foster home in topeka.......

Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,865,368 times
Ordering from overseas you DO have to be careful - there have been many authenticated reports of bogus/counterfeit Frontline. If you have ANY questions, call Bayer Animal Health to ask how to identify legitimate Frontline - they have the specific lot numbers, etc. to help you identify what you have. Don't play with your dogs' health for the sake of a few dollars.

And that goes for other pharmaceutical products, as well. Other countries don't have the oversight that the FDA and Dept of Agriculture here do over their animal medicines. And they don't necessarily comply with Good Manufacturing Process (GMP).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs