Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 AM

553 posts, read 1,632,388 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I came across this board and for the last hour have been reading more about poop than I ever thought possible I feel like I am now friends with Artie! Anyway, I didn't find an answer, so sorry if I am writing a book, but I feel I should preface my question with background info.
In August we rescued Lanie, a 7-year old greyhound (mix?) and the transition into our household went well. She's had some medical issues, like her teeth were rotting through her face, so right away she had two dental surgeries (weeks apart), and 18 teeth had to be removed. During the second surgery worms were discovered (although fecal testing was done at her initial appt), so we dewormed her with pills from the vet. Recheck shows nothing in the stool. However, she got diarrhea a month or so after, and went back to the vet, got Metronidazole and Fortiflora. Diarrhea went away.
The diarrhea came back, and we've since caught her eating stool. We're not sure if it's hers or her brother's, but if it's not picked up quickly, she eats it! Took another stool sample to the vet - no worms found, and so we got Metronidazole, Fortiflora and For-Bid. Both dogs are eating For-Bid. The vet tech left a message that there was a high level of bacteria in her stool -they are not open over the weekend, and I will call Monday, but I wonder if it's from eating poop, or something else? Both of our dogs eat the same grain-free food, and he doesn't have any problems. So I am worried about the bacteria level. Has anyone had this happen? How long does it take for For-Bid to work?
Next, I discovered she urinated and had diarrhea on the rug, behind the dining room table during the night, a few nights ago. She then ate the poop, but I could tell she had pooped there because there was a little evidence she missed. We threw away the rug and I scoured the wood floors. There should not have been any trace of scent left behind. Well, last night she went out at midnight, 3am and 5am (ugh), and even with all that, I discovered a puddle of urine and remnants of diarrhea behind the dining room table this morning. I haven't scolded her, and we are going to reinforce pottying outside, but I feel like I am going to lose it! I am not getting much sleep, and I am so tired of diarrhea!

Should I buy a cage to put her in at night, or lock her in a spare bedroom? Any ideas? She's been a bit of a money pit, and I can't afford to replace the wood flooring!

Oh, some of the times she gets up during the night, she just wants food. She will go outside and stand for a minute, then come in and check her foodbowl. So some of time she isn't even going potty. She is getting enough food, and is a healthy weight, so she is not deprived of food by any means!

What steps should I be taking? Oh, and thanks for reading this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not laughing at your problem -- not by any means! -- just that you said "I feel like I am now friends with Artie!"

Artie's mine. Or, I should say, I'm Artie's.

Welcome to the forum. I wish it were under better circumstances. Despite the fact that Artie -- obviously! -- has poop issues, I don't know any possible answers to your problem. I'm sure some others will chime in soon with good advice, though. They're a great group with a lot of knowledge.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,516 times
I think feeding a dog regular dog food is why this is happening MOST dog food is garbage it could even have other dogs in it, lol

Raw meaty bones should help the teeth.

Good foods

Innova EVO/( the red meat one is one I have not tried, but then again I do not own a dog)

Orijen

Instincts

A raw diet is the best although I know more about cats and the such then dogs- a cat needs all meat no questions asked- a dog well you can be more lax.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
I would treat her like a new a puppy that is learning how to be house broken. do not let her out of your site when at home and crate her when you aren't home or you can't supervise her, I would also crate at night. It could still be the food. What are you feeding her? Have you tried adding a little pumpkin to her food for the diarrhea?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:39 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
SHe can't help what she's doing if it's diarrhea. Dogs will usually "go" in the farthest plce from where they spend time, thus behind the table.

As far as eating, I am going to assume she was kept at a low weight by previous owners and may have fears that food will stop coming again. I have a rescued street dog who will tear up any paper he finds in case there is a bit of grease on it. He was found near a fast-food place. Five yrs later and lots of food and he still does it.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not laughing at your problem -- not by any means! -- just that you said "I feel like I am now friends with Artie!"

Artie's mine. Or, I should say, I'm Artie's.

Welcome to the forum. I wish it were under better circumstances. Despite the fact that Artie -- obviously! -- has poop issues, I don't know any possible answers to your problem. I'm sure some others will chime in soon with good advice, though. They're a great group with a lot of knowledge.

Artie is precious! You went through a lot with his poop, and I am happy it's under more control now - except for an occasional squeaker!

Old 12-05-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
I think feeding a dog regular dog food is why this is happening MOST dog food is garbage it could even have other dogs in it, lol

Raw meaty bones should help the teeth.

Good foods

Innova EVO/( the red meat one is one I have not tried, but then again I do not own a dog)

Orijen

Instincts

A raw diet is the best although I know more about cats and the such then dogs- a cat needs all meat no questions asked- a dog well you can be more lax.

She gets dental bones, but it takes a long time to eat them, due to lack of teeth.
I may need to consider switching foods, but I am feeding Dick Van Patten's Vegetarian forumla, and she seemed to be ok for months. I will keep Innova, Orijen and Instincts in mind though. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I would treat her like a new a puppy that is learning how to be house broken. do not let her out of your site when at home and crate her when you aren't home or you can't supervise her, I would also crate at night. It could still be the food. What are you feeding her? Have you tried adding a little pumpkin to her food for the diarrhea?
I am going to have to go back to that. She was actually potty-trained when we got her, though I did go out and reward her every time she pottied for two weeks, just to make sure. She never had an accident in the house until this past week. I had better pick up some more special treats and go back to the training.

I bought some pure pumpkin at Whole Foods this morning, so will try giving a little with dinner. She weighs about 58-60 lbs. Would a tsp or Tbsp be the proper amount? She is eating Vegetarian food from Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance line. She seemed be be ok with it from August through late October (no diarrhea).

I have never actually crated a dog, but I will lock her in our room tonight, and tomorrow check out crates. I don't want her to think of it as punishment, so I guess I will search the forum for advice on crate training.

Last edited by dogmomof2; 12-05-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
SHe can't help what she's doing if it's diarrhea. Dogs will usually "go" in the farthest plce from where they spend time, thus behind the table.

As far as eating, I am going to assume she was kept at a low weight by previous owners and may have fears that food will stop coming again. I have a rescued street dog who will tear up any paper he finds in case there is a bit of grease on it. He was found near a fast-food place. Five yrs later and lots of food and he still does it.

Rereading my original post, it does seem that I vented maybe a bit too much. I do know it's not her fault, and am not mad at her, just frustrated with the situation. I don't let on to her that I am upset, because it would cause her stress, and stress can cause diarrhea

That is so sad that after five years your dog is still doing that. Lanie probably had a horrible past, as is is missing chunks of her ear and has numerous scars. So it is likely she was not fed regularly. Do you know of any techniques to have her stop begging for food while we want to be asleep? It's not like I want to sleep until 10 am, but 6 would be nice!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
Is it possible that the dental bones are contributing to the diarrhea? I have found that my corgi has issues with beef, some treats or if I feed him a little to much that can bring on diarrhea. For the pumpkin I just do about a table spoon full. As for the crate, none of my dogs had issues with being in them. In fact most of the time they would go in during the day on their own. Also you can feed her in there so she knows it's a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs