Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Pancreatitis, in both dogs and people, is triggered by a number of things. But one of the most common factors in animals (because human beings have a higher tolerance of fat) is the enormous fat content of the food given the dog. The pancreas goes into overdrive, because it's the source of lipase, the enzyme that helps digest fat and, in doing so, releases not only lipase but proteases (enzymes that digest proteins) and releases both these kinds of enzymes INTO ITS OWN TISSUE and starts to digest itself.

It's a terrible illness and often has fatal consequences. In people, too.

wull what about when dogs ran in packs and ate wild game? Bones, anything they could scrounge...?

I feed my dog nothing but Taste of the Wild...it's supposed to be good? Now I'm worried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
wull what about when dogs ran in packs and ate wild game? Bones, anything they could scrounge...?

I feed my dog nothing but Taste of the Wild...it's supposed to be good? Now I'm worried?
Wild animals have VERY LITTLE FAT!!!!! It's not an issue!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
So is the Missing Link...which is what my vet suggested....
Right. I understand that. You said:

Quote:
I don't give my dog vitamins...I give him the Missing Link, it's all natural
Inferring that Missing Link is natural and vitamins are not. I was just making sure we were on the same page.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:

You'd know if your dogs had pancreatitis. They start throwing up, typically with blood, at every 30 mins to several hour increments. This happened approximately 36 hours after our dog was given her high fat meal.

If something was wrong, you'd know it .

Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Right. I understand that. You said:

Inferring that Missing Link is natural and vitamins are not. I was just making sure we were on the same page.
ahhh, ok...thanks....

Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
You'd know if your dogs had pancreatitis. They start throwing up, typically with blood, at every 30 mins to several hour increments. This happened approximately 36 hours after our dog was given her high fat meal.

that is horrible...does turkey have that much fat?
Yanno, I was going to feed my dog left over chicken but didn't...I stick to his food...but? Sheesh, this is very scary....

Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Quote:

Hematemesis (vomiting blood) is NOT common with pancreatitis. Vomiting is, but not with blood. And the animal won't eat or drink, won't defecate and will have a tender abdomen, often slightly distended. The animal will look VERY ill.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
I had asked my vet about the cranberry powder a few years back, she had mentioned to me not to mess around with my pets normal chemistry. Anyway she gave me an antibiotic which helped, I test my dog often with Multistix urine strips (I will try and post a picture) it tests PH, gravity, glucose etc.

With my pet being a diabetic and can be prone to illnesses one thing I do frequently is to gently wash her pp area.

Sometimes when you view it, it can be a little red from irritation or just from the pet licking at it from irritation.

After I wash it I pat it dry, if its a little red I apply a very light coat of vaseline. I swear this has helped with UTI's, my dog is a female.

You can order the Multistix from Hocks or your drugstore may have them or can order then for you.
Ok this is great info! Thanks! Do you know what "range" of PH is normal for dogs?

We started with antibiotics but to be honest want to keep her off drugs long term, unless necessary to treat an infection like was done before. They say some dogs must be kept on antibiotics long term for UI's which is something we'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Hematemesis (vomiting blood) is NOT common with pancreatitis. Vomiting is, but not with blood. And the animal won't eat or drink, won't defecate and will have a tender abdomen, often slightly distended. The animal will look VERY ill.
Interesting well in our case blood was involved. Not sure why then, but it was.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
that is horrible...does turkey have that much fat?
Yanno, I was going to feed my dog left over chicken but didn't...I stick to his food...but? Sheesh, this is very scary....
If it's something you've given your dog in the past with no ill effects I wouldn't worry about it. Some dogs can handle food better than others. Ours would eat a rawhide and throw up several hours afterward - only dog I know that's ever done that. Apparently she's got a pretty picky stomach and can really only handle certain things.

If you are concerned at all, stick to a low fat diet. Our search was hampered by the fact she's allergic to beef and chicken which made her anal glands flare up (allergies) and subsequently become infected. So we needed a low fat, non-beef, non-chicken food and wanted to also stay grain free. Pretty limiting .

We ended up with a fish and potato food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs