Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,305,492 times

Advertisements

Our dog has had a mess of illness problems over the past year, culminating in around $2500 in bills. First a staff infection, pancreatitis, anal gland infections, and then two UI's. It seems the staff infection and anal glands were allergy driven and the pancreatitis was because my sister-in-law decided to give our dog a "thanksgiving meal" without telling us. The UI's came out of nowhere however, but we think it might be an issue of summertime heat and our dog not drinking much water.

She's now beaten the second UI. We used antibiotics on the first one, she got better, but then it came back relatively quickly (a week or so). Did the same antibiotics for the second one (we had extra on had, from previous anal gland infection that weren't needed) so I gave them to her using the same schedule and length of time but combined it with a cranberry vitamin pill, half in the morning half at night, as well as a vitamin C pill (also half/half). Also "forced" her to drink water after every walk.

It's now been 3 months and no more UI! Yay! Now my question is, long term, are there problems with giving a cranberry and vitamin C vitamin to our 60# dog? I can't find any reference as far as general guidelines for amount (ie g's/pound). Now we just give her 1 cranberry pill after she eats either in the morning or night time when we can remember. My wife has a problem with UI's and drinks cranberry juice which keeps them away, but I'm concerned about possible side effects in our dog.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:26 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,962,502 times
Here's what I found on the ASPCA's poison control website. It basically says that they don't think it's toxic, but it's always best to discuss these things with your vet first. Is your vet open to supplementing with not so traditional approaches?

ASPCA | Cranberry juice

Old 12-07-2009, 12:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,908,790 times
I agree you should talk to your vet about it, I did and mine thought it would be just fine. I have her on Solid Gold Berry Balance powder. It has cranberry and blueberry along with vitamine C. I just sprinkle a tsp full on her food. She's been on it for about a year now.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,079,335 times
I don't give my dog vitamins...I give him the Missing Link, it's all natural and you give it to them everyday according to their weight. I wouldn't give him anything with out first checking it out with my vet, and also, finding out exactly how much to give him.

Just my 2 cents....

Creme

Old 12-07-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I agree you should talk to your vet about it, I did and mine thought it would be just fine. I have her on Solid Gold Berry Balance powder. It has cranberry and blueberry along with vitamine C. I just sprinkle a tsp full on her food. She's been on it for about a year now.
Interesting, I'm going to look at the recommended dosage levels of that product.

I had heard you can monitor their PH levels in their urine which would give you an indication of how much to use.

As far as asking our vet, certainly ours won't have a clue and would discourage it. They wanted to remove our dogs anal glands until we insisted they infuse them with antibiotics. They also prescribed Hills anti-allergy food ($70/bag for 25(?) pounds) that has to be the worst food ever made.

Unfortunately like most things in life we are relying on our own research more and more.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,962,502 times
Would it be possible to find a vet who is more aligned with your viewpoint? Different vets have different opinions on this sort of thing, but there is a reason they go through all that schooling...

Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't give my dog vitamins...I give him the Missing Link, it's all natural and you give it to them everyday according to their weight. I wouldn't give him anything with out first checking it out with my vet, and also, finding out exactly how much to give him.

Just my 2 cents....

Creme
Vitamins are natural substances though.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Would it be possible to find a vet who is more aligned with your viewpoint? Different vets have different opinions on this sort of thing, but there is a reason they go through all that schooling...
Yeah, we are searching for a holistic vet. My issue with them however is it seems the info they have is typically what you can find online as well.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:08 PM

Some quick research online shows that vitamin C has the same effect as acidifying the urine, however IMO might be safer to use as it's a completely benign form of supplement with practically zero side effects (in moderation). Also dogs produce it naturally.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,908,790 times
Here is the link if your interested.

Solid Gold Berry Balance for Cats & Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs