U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,422 times
Smile How to cure my Dogs Seperation Anxiety????????

I adopted my dog over 5 weeks ago, She had been given to the Dog's Trust because of her Separation Anxiety issues. I was told she cannot be left alone however it was a solvable issue and if she didn't snap out of it herself there was help available to get her over it.

She follows me everywhere and she has never been left alone since I've had her but it has now got to the point where I really want to cure her Separation Anxiety if not only for her own sake, as it must be exhausting following me every-time I leave the room and never truly relaxing unless it's bedtime.

I am really looking for some full proof advice on how to get her over it, I don't know why she developed it, however I would really appreciate some advice from anyone in the know on how to deal with this issue. Are there any tried and tested ways of dealing with this.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 PM

3,694 posts, read 7,462,753 times
If you search on the forum for 'separation anxiety', you'll find a lot of help. Yes it's curable but it does take a lot of time and persistence. Your dog may have a stronger case than some b/c she was at the shelter for some time, is in a wonderful home now but prob. taking the 'next step' is a good idea unless someone is home 24/7 which is unlikely.

Would give her some exercise before you leave and then leave for short periods ('a tired dog is a good dog') - when you leave, just go, same as when you come home, just ignore her for 5-10 minutes, dont gush over her or it'll instill in her that she s/b fearful etc, ie it'll just make her nervous. I'd prob. crate her (if she's used to it, if not start feeding her in it and I'd get a wire crate that has good ventilation and isn't dark and stuffy like some plastic ones tend to be). Feeding her in it will help her come to like it, you could put some special toys in it too that she gets only when you leave. Would leave for very short periods at first - 10 minutes maybe for a few times for several days and slowly work your way up - come back in, ignore her and then go about your business. After a while she'll figure out that life will go on whether you're there or not. You could also put on the radio or tv while you go - also there are plug-in pheranomes (sp) that are supp. to emit calming rays (?) into the air in the room where she spends the most time - not sure if it helps but it may. Also go to your health food store and get Rescue Remedy - all natural - put a few drops on a biscuit - it tends to relax them (sometimes). Anyway, just a few thoughts - there's prob. many more good posts that give even better advice, you just have to search them out. Thanks for adoping her and best of luck.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 PM

4,509 posts, read 7,808,033 times
As Honeycrisp said, there are some great threads on separation anxiety on this forum. I know, I was one of the OP's on one of them.

What you have to do is find a way to contain the dog that works when you're around and over time, build trust and work with them. My present dog (and many labs) have this problem.... expecially when you adopt them from shelters. I tried every indoor way to contain him with no success. I found that an outdoor pen that he couldn't dig out of was the answer when I have to be away from home.

He's now about a 1 1/2 years old and he's come a long way.

He's a wonderful dog!

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-10-2009 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM

3,196 posts, read 3,160,736 times
"2 puppy theory"
They can play together.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
"2 puppy theory"
They can play together.
I agree that this is a good idea. Since adopting my lab, I've acquired another dog that was apparently dropped off in my neighborhood.

It's been really cold lately and I've been hating putting my dog outside in his pen while I'm gone.

I was actually thinking this morning that I want to get a second crate to try crating them side by side while I work... now that he knows that he's loved and safe....

A second dog, love, time and patience.... all good ideas!!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 PM

3,196 posts, read 3,160,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I agree that this is a good idea. Since adopting my lab, I've acquired another dog that was apparently dropped off in my neighborhood.

It's been really cold lately and I've been hating putting my dog outside in his pen while I'm gone.

I was actually thinking this morning that I want to get a second crate to try crating them side by side while I work... now that he knows that he's loved and safe....

A second dog, love, time and patience.... all good ideas!!
....and a warm place in winter
....and a cool place in summer...

Old 12-10-2009, 07:00 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,718,906 times
What kind of dog is she? Since we got our Bulldog, I haven't been able to leave the room, use the bathroom, shower, etc. without him being right there. He can be dead asleep, but if I leave the room to get a drink or something, he's right behind me. Some breeds are just like that and many people don't like it, but I love that my baby is always by my side. Though we've never had issues leaving him home alone, despite his clinginess when we're here!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:00 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,828,136 times
Our rescure Shih-Tzu (Abby) is just over 3 yrs old, we've had her for 8 months now. She had been crated almost 24/hrs/day her entire life prior to our adopting her. She had terrible separation anxiety initially. It took several months for her to adjust and stop barking when we left the room. We'd go upstairs in the morning to get ready for work and she's bark incessantly. I think having a second dog (we had another Shih-Tzu prior to adopting Abby) has been a huge help. Anyway, time and patience seemed to do the trick. It took a while for Abby to realize that we ALWAYS came back...that she belongs to us and that she is loved. She still follows us room to room when we're home but doesn't freak out if we gate her in the den with Dalai for a period of time.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Love, time and patience...

My dog was toward the destructive end of separation anxiety. If I left him in a car for even a minute, he tore up the interior. If I left him in the house, he scratched until he opened the door and went outside. We went through a couple of crates.. that he either destroyed or otherwise escaped from before I found that the outdoor "crate" didn't stress him out.

The fact that I'm even considering attempting to crate my dog next to the other crate while I'm away shows how far we've come.

He's been seeing the other dog in his old crate for a while now... and, he now knows that he's loved and I'll always be back.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,114,308 times
I don't envy you...I just went thru this 6 months ago with a shelter dog I adopted.

I am sure many on here have better advice than I do but what worked for us was a combination of time and also I would crate the dog (at times) while I was home so he had no choice but to remain away from me for brief periods. It took awhile and there was some barking (okay A LOT of barking) digging ect in the crate but after two and a half months he was pretty much fine and I can even leave him free in the house without destruction.

Good luck with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs