U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:26 PM

925 posts, read 2,059,831 times

Advertisements

In the end of July we had aquired a 20 pound 15 inch Beagle who is great when it comes to being house broken . This is the first time my husband and I had a dog with a shorter coat ( I grew up with longhaired fullsized Lassie type Collies and he grew up with Shepherd types with longer hair ) . I am seeking advice now that is getting cold- we live in Ohio. What is the lowest temperature that she can withstand being outside and for how long ? We want her to use the outdoors to do what she needs to do but we do not want her to be out there freezing. I know enough that larger longerhaired dogs can handle the cold longer but we need to know how to deal with a smaller shorterhaired Beagle during these cold temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:53 AM

9,991 posts, read 11,200,805 times
We adopted Darcy, a beagle mix, from our humane assn in July. What we have found is that she will not stay outside except for just a few minutes. Now that it is cold, she just stays out long enough to go to the bathroom. We have ordered her a dog coat that we are picking up tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if she likes it outside if she is bundled up. I really don't expect that. We think that she doesn't like to go outside because of her previous situations.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 AM

1,587 posts, read 4,325,253 times
Beagles are hunters and will stay out longer but if raised in house will not have as heavy a coat. Take out to do potty breaks and exercise. Watch the feet as snow chunks and such and let dog tell you about how long can be out. If it is to cold for you to stand out there it is to cold for dog also in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:56 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,553,847 times
We have a Beagle and a Beagle/Lab/? mix and live in southeast Michigan. The Beagle is pretty oblivious to weather of any kind. The other night I let her out and it was about 15 degrees. She stayed out on one of her backyard adventures for probably 20 minutes. Her nose overrides all other body parts and senses. She comes to the backdoor and waits when she is ready to come in.

The mix is a weather wimp. She doesn't like the cold, the heat, snow or rain. But she will go out when she has business to attend. In bad weather she is back to the backdoor and tapping on the sliding glass door to be let in within about 2 minutes of going out.

Beagles are very hardy dogs. Yours should be fine. They will let you know when they have had enough and are ready to come in.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 PM

34,063 posts, read 11,244,198 times
I was wondering the same as the OP.....we just adopted a beagle from Tennessee and we live in Maine.....she also is a three legged girl.....so we are protective of her. She seems to like the snow and today it is windy and only about 20 degrees.....she didnt seem to mind it when we went out for a walk. But I only stayed out for about 10 mins with her.....after she had peed....I was ready to come in.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM

16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
My pittie, who is very short- and fine-coated, does not like the cold. In weather down to about 25, I have a hard time gettting him to come in when I have had enough (I wait inside by the door, I'm not stupid!). But below about 25, he is the first of the 3 to come back in. The past week we have had night time temps of 4-14.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 PM

549 posts, read 1,266,703 times
Beagles are a hardy breed and will withstand the cold better than you think. I assume that she's a house dog and not left outside all of the time?

I had one for 18 years, Barnie...but she was a spoiled baby, but I think it was more for myself, that I used to put a coat on her when we'd go out in the cold for walks.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM

My new little girl had a front leg amputation.....I am not sure if coats or sweaters would fit her. ????

Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 PM

16,388 posts, read 30,653,279 times
You can always do what humans do, pin it up or sew it up.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:47 PM

I have found sites on line that specialize in coats for amputees. Google is wonderful .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs