Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:16 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,207,193 times

Advertisements

Just a thought.......Are you anywhere near a vet school??? They are most generally years ahead on treatments. Many times they will write some of the bill off to research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,527,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Just a thought.......Are you anywhere near a vet school??? They are most generally years ahead on treatments. Many times they will write some of the bill off to research.

To be honest I'm not sure. I'm in Dallas so I'm sure there has to be one around here, but I always thought the big vet type school in Texas was A&M.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,207,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
To be honest I'm not sure. I'm in Dallas so I'm sure there has to be one around here, but I always thought the big vet type school in Texas was A&M.
I would call A&M. See what they say.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would call A&M. See what they say.

I'm sure I could just google vet schools in Dallas. A&M is way to far away for me to drive.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:30 PM

It looks as though there is one at SMU and one at UTD but says nothing about taking patients. The biggest one in Texas is A&M and that's a good couple hour drive from where I'm at and not only would my car not make it but I can't afford a trip like that plus vet visits right now.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:35 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,384,141 times
I have a Westie with skin allergies and he ended up with some kind of skin infection from scratching. Like you, I switched his food to TOTW and I add some fish oil to it every morning - to help with inflammation.

His vet recommends this also. When his itching and scratching get really bad (like spring and early fall) he usually gets a round of presdnisone which seems to help a lot. It's step down thing where he will get 2 pills a day for 5 days; then 1, then 1/2 . . . etc.

We also use a special shampoo called Cortisoothe that we get from the vet which is supposed to soothe the skin and help with the itching. I take it with me to the groomers and do not allow them to use any perfume, etc.

When he had the actual skin infection, we used a medicated shampoo called . . Ectoderm or something which had an antibacterial agent in it - along with skin soothers. We also purchased this from the vet. It was expensive and he recommends using it only when the infection is active.

He also recommended - bathing my Westie more often - which contradicted the breeder - but which did seem to help when he was particularly 'itchy".

Good luck to you poor baby! I know it can make them miserable.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 696 times
My dogs are having the same skin problems. They are 9 and 10 yrs old and this just started happening about 3 yrs. ago. When they lived outdoors they didn't even have this condition. They itch and chew and bit on themselves. It only happens a few mos in the summer time. When cold weather comes they seem to get better and their hair comes back. IT's horrible to look at for the mos. they have it. I've been told it was seasional allergys. I was also told not to bath them too often it drys the skin out. But i have noticed a odor comes along w/ this skin problem. My dogs are house dogs and have been for years. They do go outside to do their duty. Never in the house. What can i get to help the itching and biting. The collars don't work because they can lick and bite each other. Please help my chow has a raw place on her and it seems to be bleeding some. I wash the area every night and day to help w/ the itching. Please email me at [EMAIL="angie5895@hotmail.com"]angie5895@hotmail.com[/EMAIL] with any suggestions and help. It's not their diet because i tried all kinds of foods and it seems to only happen in the warmer mos. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by angie5895; 09-30-2010 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: left out email address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs