Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:36 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times

Advertisements

I want to get these foster puppies neutered before they go to their forever homes. I called 4 of the most well known low cost places in my area. One has a waiting list of 4 months and the other ones want $150 per dog, which to me is hardly low cost, since they weigh 5 lbs right now and my Bulldog cost just over $200. There's 2 of them, so I'm trying to find a reasonable cost.

So, anyone know how to find low cost places? I tried a local vet, and he wanted $350/puppy. I really don't want to send a Pitbull out unneutered, but at the same time there is no way I am paying these ridiculous prices. And I finally see why the shelters here are overflowing with puppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 09:56 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
I found a couple sites when I did a google search...not sure if these are the ones you tried or not

Free & Low Cost Spay/Neuter Programs for Pit Bulls - Pit Bull Rescue Central

Low-cost spay/neuter in San Diego County

Hope this helps!!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:01 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,604 times
Check yelp.com for places and reviews, however I thought it was better to wait until the dogs were 6 months old to get them fixed.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:02 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Wow...I'm sure it all depends on the area...at our low cost clinic we charge $35 a dog, $5 for the DHLPP and $5 Rabies vaccinations. Come visit us in Oklahoma!!! It is income restricted unless you are in rescue. Then our clinic will honor those prices for people trying to help animals find new homes.

Don't give up just yet...you're wanting to do the right thing by neutering those boys. Too many people today think they can make a profit by do-it-yourself breeding. Remember you paid $200 for your bulldog but it still cost you money to neuter your cutie.

This is where people (not you) are impulsive and don't think pet ownership through. I've seen people "purchase" expensive dogs when they didn't even have the money to have the animal s/n. Yes, they saved money to buy the animal they wanted, but don't want to save for the s/n surgery. That wasn't the best logic...but people simply tend not to think things through.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Too bad you are not up here in Santa Barbara as there is a great rescue called DAWG that has an outreach program for Pitbulls. They will spay or neuter local residents pitbulls for free .They started doing that because there are so many pitbulls filling up the shelters and rescues. Don't know if they will do out of town pups or not or if they know of any others offering this but I can ask them if they know of anyone in your area.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I found a couple sites when I did a google search...not sure if these are the ones you tried or not

Free & Low Cost Spay/Neuter Programs for Pit Bulls - Pit Bull Rescue Central

Low-cost spay/neuter in San Diego County

Hope this helps!!
Yes, tried them both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Check yelp.com for places and reviews, however I thought it was better to wait until the dogs were 6 months old to get them fixed.
It is, but these aren't my dogs. They are foster dogs and I am not releasing them to their homes without being neutered. And, I'm not keeping them til 6 months either. I hope to find them homes by the time they are 8-10 weeks old, but it doesn't seem promising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Come visit us in Oklahoma!!!

Remember you paid $200 for your bulldog but it still cost you money to neuter your cutie.
If I visit Oklahoma, will you take a puppy?

And I wish a Bulldog cost $200! Even the rescues want close to a grand for an 8 year old bully, never mind a puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Too bad you are not up here in Santa Barbara as there is a great rescue called DAWG that has an outreach program for Pitbulls. They will spay or neuter local residents pitbulls for free .They started doing that because there are so many pitbulls filling up the shelters and rescues. Don't know if they will do out of town pups or not or if they know of any others offering this but I can ask them if they know of anyone in your area.
Yes, DAWG came up in my search. They sound awesome! Wish we had something like that in San Diego!

Old 12-12-2009, 07:25 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Check with the animal control for your city. They may offer that for residents. There may be a wait list, but they'll most likely be cheaper than the vet. It took my sister about 2-3 weeks to get an appointment.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:09 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
If I visit Oklahoma, will you take a puppy?

And I wish a Bulldog cost $200! Even the rescues want close to a grand for an 8 year old bully, never mind a puppy!
Wow...I'm a little out of touch. You can tell I am only accustomed to having rescue dogs (lol)! I wouldn't take a puppy for my own, but I can help you get one adopted here through honorable rescue organizations.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
I have an additional reason to spay/neuter, outside of the "I don't want her having puppies and horny males digging under my fence to get at her" reason: My city charges a licensing fee of 10 bucks a year for sp/nu dogs, and 150 bucks a year for intact dogs.

That's a no-brainer.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:53 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
MAK802 - its tough I know and I wish you luck in your search from someone who will help out. You may have to dig quite a bit contacting all the pit rescues, local and nationals, shelters etc. and vets and you may still end up not finding anything. I've been through this with feral cats.
I did find a group that helps if you are low income (I didn't make the cut). There was another that did low cost on a once a month appt time - you had to be flexible but it was cheaper.
Finding them wasn't easy but they were out there. The vets of course didn't cut me any kind of break, I was lucky to find one that would work with feral cats at any price.
Again - good luck, your doing a good thing!

I didn't see your location - that might help with people helping you find help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs