Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,604 times

Advertisements

This morning at 3:45am I was awoken to a dog barking, sometimes this is normal in my neighborhood, but it continued for about 10 minutes and was louder than normal so I knew it was close. At first I thought it was the lady that lived behind me, so after laying there trying to fall back asleep to the bark I got up and went outside. Come to find out it was coming from my neighbors apartment, the neighbor with the Beagle that leaves him outside all the time. Being that it was now 4am and I didn't want to call my landlord and wake her up with this nonsense I just tried to fall back asleep as I listened to him running from the back door, which is in our bedrooms, to the front door....howling the whole time.

I let my landlord know about what happened this morning and she assured me she would talk to him as soon as she saw him. Problem is, this guy is never home. Today the Beagle was left on the porch for a while, and I did hear my neighbor come home at some point, but he left again, and left the dog inside. When I went to walk my dogs tonight I could hear him clawing at the front door. I called my landlord and let her know what was going on, and got my neighbors phone number because at this point it was 8:30pm and I knew it was going to go on all night again if I didn't do something.

I just called and left him a voicemail letting him know what happened last night and that it was starting again at 10:30pm after he had been locked in that house for who knows how long today. He called me back and was very apologetic, he is a nice guy, and like I had said in the previous post I don't think he knew what he was getting into when he got a Beagle. He told me that from now on he's going to put his bark collar on him when he leaves him alone.

It's like the lesser of two evils. I hate that the dog has to wear the bark collar (I personally think they are inhumane) because he barks all the time because he's lonely and wants attention, but I don't want to be woken up at 4am on the weekends when his owner decides to stay out all night. I'm almost to the point of suggesting he find him a new home, but I know that he does love that dog and he does give the dog attention when he's home, and if someone suggested that I find my dogs a new home I wouldn't take that very lightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Oh, do I know what you're going through being woken up at ungodly hours because of neighbor issues! Not barking dogs, but I have a pretty severe issue here myself and seriously don't know what to do! I think you should tell him to find the dog a new home. It's unfair for the poor dog to suffer because of a neglectful owner and it's unfair to the neighbors to not be able to sleep in the middle of the night. Sounds like the guy got way over his head and doesn't know what to do now!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,159 times
Does the beagle get along with your dogs? Maybe you could offer to dog-sit so at least you wouldn't have to listen to him howling from loneliness. I feel your pain, though. My next door neighbor has 3 poms and a minpin, which are outside pretty much always. They bark at EVERYTHING - and it's that annoying, high pitched yappy bark. Some days, sleeping in is just not an option.

I get irritated when they start in at 7 am - I can't even imagine 4:30!! Ouch.

Be thankful you can call the landlord, though - I'm in a guest house, so basically IN the backyard next to the dogs - but there's nobody to call about the people in the house next door! Animal control, I guess, but I don't really want to do that, for the dogs' welfare and neighborly relations.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:56 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
I think this situation is unfair to the beagle and to you. The owner is neglecting his dog and the end result is affecting you and possibly everyone else who live in the same apartment complex. You need to address the issue with your neighbor and make him realize that the problem is a pretty serious one.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:36 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I'd rather see the beagle with a bark collar than homeless or in a shelter with little chance for adoption, to be honest.
My late beagle-basset's bay could cut steak.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Oh. Not a good position for you to be in. Maybe if you get to know each other a little better -you could make some suggestions. Sounds like he's pretty busy for a dog - but still better than homeless as Bright suggested.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 AM

We know each other pretty well since this is a five plex (5 apartments not like a huge complex or anything) and he told me to let him know anytime his dog is being annoying he'll put the bark collar on him.

I'd rather him wear a bark collar too than see him in a shelter not being able to get adopted, although I'm sure he would, he's super friendly!

I'd be more than happy to dog sit for him, however I have two rambunctious dogs in a very small apartment so adding a third one would make me want to pull my hair out lol I have let him out during the day and let the dogs run around the small walkway we have which is behind a gate so they can't get out to the street, but there isn't a yard for them to all run in. I've also brought the dog in my house a few times because he's managed to wiggle his way through the fence and that's when I realized all three of them in my house at once won't work.....and I'm not going to dog sit for him till 4 or 5 in the morning when he's out at a bar, sorry.

Thanks for the suggestions though! I only have about 3 more months till I move and I've lived with it up until now, I can live with it until then. The thing that really irritated me was that the dog was barking at 3:45am and who knew when his owner was going to come home. I did talk to him last night, and he was literally pulling into the garage when he called me, and I'm pretty sure my landlord is going to talk to him as well because she's home all day and is getting tired of his barking. Usually I go to school during the day, but I'm on break for the next 3 weeks.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:57 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
There are also dog-sitting services in most areas. Even if he took the dog only a couple of times a week, it would be better than the current situation.
I disagree about a shelter but only if there is a no-kill shelter in the area. At least the dog would then have people paying attention to it; it also might have a chance at happiness.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:51 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
If you are leaving in a couple months I'd let it go. I had it out with my neighbors over their dog - they did some pretty A##inine stuff and it was a yorkie just yapping for 30 minutes in the rain to get back into the house - left the dog out at 3 a.m barking to get back in and once left the dog in a crate in the garage with the garage door open and it's right outside my bedroom window and it was like an echo chamber for 4 hours. I was livid. It's not like I won't cope with dog barking I have 3 of my own and a housefull of fosters, but I make darn sure they aren't out barking and bothering the neighbors. If they'd get a dog door it would solve everyone's problems - but he's a real macho a@@.

I can tell you that when I was living in an apartment with noise issues, they wouldn't do anything and told me to call the sherrif's department (it was over stereo issues at 3 in the morning) and then the sherriff would visit them to turn it down, report it to the apartment manager and when he did it 3 times the apartment complex evicted him. The apartment complex wouldn't do anything about it until then.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
If you are leaving in a couple months I'd let it go. I had it out with my neighbors over their dog - they did some pretty A##inine stuff and it was a yorkie just yapping for 30 minutes in the rain to get back into the house - left the dog out at 3 a.m barking to get back in and once left the dog in a crate in the garage with the garage door open and it's right outside my bedroom window and it was like an echo chamber for 4 hours. I was livid. It's not like I won't cope with dog barking I have 3 of my own and a housefull of fosters, but I make darn sure they aren't out barking and bothering the neighbors. If they'd get a dog door it would solve everyone's problems - but he's a real macho a@@.

I can tell you that when I was living in an apartment with noise issues, they wouldn't do anything and told me to call the sherrif's department (it was over stereo issues at 3 in the morning) and then the sherriff would visit them to turn it down, report it to the apartment manager and when he did it 3 times the apartment complex evicted him. The apartment complex wouldn't do anything about it until then.

Yea...that's what I'm basically doing, but I just didn't appreciate being woken up at 3am for an hour with a dog barking because his owner didn't realize that being left alone for 6-7 hours inside would cause him to bark. I mean c'mon!

For the most part I deal with it. I deal with the dog being outside all day barking from time to time and it doesn't really bother me much. Usually most days I'm at school during the day and get home around the same time my neighbor does. Just the next three weeks I'll be on break from school so I'll have to deal with it. He usually stays in his dog house now that it's getting cold and there is a heating pad in there, but every once and a while he starts barking....no big deal as my dogs bark during the day too.

Where I live is not an apartment complex, it's a small 5 plex that is in between to larger Victorian homes, one of which my landlord lives in. She is starting to get bothered by the dogs barking too and said she would talk to my neighbor as soon as she saw him. During the day it doesn't bother me, it's just late at night when I know my neighbor is going to be out late and there is nothing I can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs