Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

OMAHA, Neb. -- Two small dogs that police said fed on the body of their owner after he killed himself are headed to Indiana.

The Nebraska Humane Society said the two pugs, named Harry and Sally, will meet their new owners Tuesday and make the adoption official.

2 Dogs That Ate Owner Headed To Indiana - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis (http://www.theindychannel.com/news/22033415/detail.html - broken link)

Old 12-22-2009, 09:25 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
oh my god .... i've gotta say.... these message boards have been a real roller coaster for me today.... laughing one minute at something and then saddened to the point of tears the next minute at what i read or watch in another thread......

**sigh**

Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
OMAHA, Neb. -- Two small dogs that police said fed on the body of their owner after he killed himself are headed to Indiana.

The Nebraska Humane Society said the two pugs, named Harry and Sally, will meet their new owners Tuesday and make the adoption official.
If I was the new owner, I'd be creeped out when they stared at me.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
I know they ate their owner to survive but I just couldn't trust them after that. The new owners better make sure to keep the dogs well fed.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:26 AM

167 posts, read 597,626 times
I want to start of by saying that I think this is a very sad story, a horrible thing the dogs went through, and also horrible for their owner who passed.

This article also makes me wonder what went on in the mind of the dogs? Do they understand what they did? Did they do it out of despiration because they were without food for so long (not unlike one of the forum members who's puppy ate it's dead littermates to survive before being found)? After a while, when decomposition starts, do they no longer associate the body with their owner but instead associate it simply with food due to odors, etc? Will they have lasting psychological effects because of what they had to do to survive? I know alot of people say dogs have very short memories, but I have a difficult time believing that is the case. Does anyone here know about this area of dog psychology?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:58 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj68 View Post
I want to start of by saying that I think this is a very sad story, a horrible thing the dogs went through, and also horrible for their owner who passed.

This article also makes me wonder what went on in the mind of the dogs? Do they understand what they did? Did they do it out of despiration because they were without food for so long (not unlike one of the forum members who's puppy ate it's dead littermates to survive before being found)? After a while, when decomposition starts, do they no longer associate the body with their owner but instead associate it simply with food due to odors, etc? Will they have lasting psychological effects because of what they had to do to survive? I know alot of people say dogs have very short memories, but I have a difficult time believing that is the case. Does anyone here know about this area of dog psychology?
I don't think the dogs suffered psychologically from it at all. They just aren't programmed that way. Survival of the fittest kicks in. If there's not dog food out, you eat what you can to survive. It was that or starve and die.

What about the plane crash on the mountain many years ago? Some survived and had to eat a member of their team that had perished in the wreck. Humans are emotionally / psychologically scarred by things like that. Animals can go on. I sometimes think they are stronger than we can ever be. Dogs are incredible.

And for the record, they are not going to be addicted to human flesh. There is no reason to be freaked out by them. No reason so fear that if they're not properly fed they'll kill you and eat you. They ate the only thing available to them. They didn't kill the guy.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
I have to admit - I feel sorry for the poor things but I'm still creeped out by what they did. As much as I know they only did what they had to for survival, I don't know if I could ever adopt them if I knew the history.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,101 times
While I admit it is pretty creepy I have to say that if I were to die I would much rather they feed on my corpse than starve to death before someone found us. Gross yes, but at least they would still be alive.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
While I admit it is pretty creepy I have to say that if I were to die I would much rather they feed on my corpse than starve to death before someone found us. Gross yes, but at least they would still be alive.
Agreed!

Old 12-24-2009, 01:44 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
They're pugs. I don't think one could kill a person even if they wanted to. Sure it might be creepy if you thought about it too much, but I certainly wouldn't be worried about the dogs trying to stage a repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs