Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 01:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times

Advertisements

Since I know there are folks on here who keep up on good vet info links, I'd like to ask for your assistance.

Long story short as this is difficult: I have three dogs. Came home after running errands this afternoon. My nearly 12 year old Shepherd mix was acting fine - perky, happy to see everyone, etc. Let dogs out to do their business. A few minutes later, she was laying upright, panting in long, heavy, slow, breaths, staring at the ground. Would not drink water or take a treat.

A few minutes later she stood, wobbly, and pooped an enormous amount where she stood. One of my other dogs has controlled epilepsy, and I was beginning to think it was an epileptic seizure she was having, but she was not "stiffened up" as the other dog used to get, etc. She wobbled to the center of the yard, stood there a minute, then laid down upright for a minute, and then rolled over on her side. She continued to breath slow and heavy for a while, her tongue stuck out, and within 2 minutes she stopped breathing and was gone. This was a huge shock, as even though she's advanced in years, she's always been complimented by the Vet as to how good of health she's in for her age, and aside from minor arthritis, has always seemed like a strong healthy dog.

I know she wasn't choking. I know that no one came to the fence and did anything to her, as she was only outside a few minutes, I pretty much had her in sight most all the time she was out there, and the other dogs were fine, etc. Being Saturday evening the day after Christmas, my vet is closed, and the emergency vet places around simply ask you to bring the dogs in for an autopsy. However, someone I know strongly suggested that due to a past experience they witnessed, and a relative who's a vet, that this was a strong, sudden, heart attack.

I've been Googling for some time and found of course millions of links, but not being in a real great state of mind right now as I'm passing in and out of the freaking-out stages, I was wondering if anyone here has links to info on sudden death by heart attack in dogs - symptoms, what happens, etc., so I can compare what happened to her and try to know for sure (within reason) what it was? I did not want her put through an autopsy, aside from the cost, I just can't go that route unless I thought this was foul play and as I said, I'm convinced it wasn't.

Thanks ahead of time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 01:26 AM

167 posts, read 597,546 times
My heart goes out to you. I am so very sorry for the loss of your wonderful girl. I don't have any knowledge of this area so I can't help you with that. Just hang in there and hopefully someone here will have information for you soon.

I did find a yahoo group, but you have to get membership first to be able to view the posts. Don't know how long that would take, but maybe they might be able to help?

caninehearthealth : Canine Heart Health

Old 12-27-2009, 02:53 AM

164 posts, read 568,358 times
I am so sorry for your loss! A big hug for you and your two other dogs!

Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,657 times
I don't have any links for you but I do send you condolences.
My DIL had a small mixed breed dog that pretty much went the same way and it was only 6 years old. It was out runnning around the yard one minute and a few minutes later it was down and gone.
Sometimes you read about humans young and old passing away suddenly from heart failure that had no obvious past symptoms. I guess the same thing can happen with animals young or old.
Sad, but true.
In the case of your dog, if 1 dog year equals 7 human years, your dog was 84 yrs old in human years.
Twelve years is about the average life span for larger dogs. I'm sure it lived as long as it did because you provided it with very good care and much affection.
I am sorry for your loss.
The only good thing (if there is such a thing when a pet dies) is that it didn't have any long term suffering and had a happy life with those it loved.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:37 AM

106 posts, read 440,279 times
I'm so sorry for you--how heartbreaking. I use this quite often, I don't know if it will have the answers you need though. Merck Veterinary Manual

I tried to link it to the page on cardiovascular, hope that worked.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. 3 years ago, we had a similar experience. Lucy was a shepherd/lab mix but pretty old (14 1/2 years). She was lying on the den floor after a normal morning, went to get up and collapsed. She looked stunned and then literally crawled a few feet, wedging herself between the sofa and coffee table. She was awake but pretty non-responsive, breathing heavily. It was strange because my husband and I had taken the day off and were home when, normally we would have been at work. We managed to get Lucy into the car and drive the 2 miles to the vet. By the time we got there, she was still breathing but totally unresponsive. The vet thought she had a massive stroke...Lucy passed away while they were preparing to euthanize her. It was a sad day indeed...I still get tearful thinking about it but I'm glad it was quick and she didn't suffer. Without an autopsy, I doubt you'll ever know what the actual cause was...stroke vs heart. Please accept my condolences on your loss.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Atlanta I am so sorry. I wonder if it was indeed a heart attack.
Minus the poop, your description of your dog's passing sounds very much like the way we lost Elwood last fall.
The difference was that for the two weeks before he died, we knew that he had a malignant tumor on his heart.
He had very good quality of life right up to that final day, and the only meal he skipped was the very last one.
I had a friend whose dog had a fatal heart attack when he was leaping up to catch a frisbee at the beach. Not such a bad way to go, but so sudden for the people left behind.
Once again, I am sorry.
I'm no vet but it does sound like a heart attack.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:18 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
I am very sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you. We lost our Strudel to a heart attack almost 10 years ago and it was very similar to your situation. I don't know of any links but just like people, as dogs age, anything can happen. One thing that I was grateful for was that Strudel did not appear to suffer or be in any pain, and I'm sure you are feeling that relief even with your sadness and raw emotions. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Atlanta, I am so very sorry for your loss and I know the holidays make it even more distressing. Peace be with you.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
I am very sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs