Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj68 View Post
I have to do the same thing with one of my dogs to get him to eat his kibble. I cut up some chicken and put it on top of his kibble. Sometimes, that is the only way I can get him to eat. He's a very picky boy. I'm glad you were able to get Watson to eat.
I do the EXACT same thing with Artie!!!! (With every single meal, though.)

His kibble is a mixture of GREAT foods (Wellness Core, Taste of the Wild [bison/venison flavor], Natural Balance [chicken? and sweet potato], and Evo) and yet he's no longer interested. He used to like each of these foods on their own, then he "decided" he needed variety, then he "decided" that even that wasn't good enough.

So every meal, I shred some cooked chicken breast, put it in with his kibble, shake the bowl so that the "real" chicken gets incorporated with the kibble, and he eats the whole bowl. He eats is all because God forbid he misses one shred of chicken! Oh no!

It's not a great plan (it gets expensive and it's more time consuming), but at least the boy eats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM

167 posts, read 597,626 times
DandJ, that boy just has you wrapped around his paw! Just like Johnny has me wrapped around his. I think in Johnny's case, he just gets bored so quickly with his food and wants variety, but since he doesn't handle food changes very well, I don't like to switch foods for him too often. Another thing I like to give him once in a while is a scrambled egg (just hold off on the butter, I use a non stick pan). It is a good protein source, good for their skin, and Johnny just loves it. Maybe Artie would enjoy that in lieu of chicken once in a while and it might make things a little easier on you cost wise. I also bribe Johnny to eat with a dolop of non-fat cottage cheese, or non-fat plain yogart. Now my two girls - never had a problem getting them to eat - just Johnny. Must be a 'boy' thing.

I read this article on feeding dogs that was very interesting and informative and it talked about adding 'people food' to the kibble for each meal. FWIW I've attached it below.

The Dog Food Project - Myths about Dog Nutrition

Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj68 View Post
DandJ, that boy just has you wrapped around his paw! Just like Johnny has me wrapped around his. I think in Johnny's case, he just gets bored so quickly with his food and wants variety, but since he doesn't handle food changes very well, I don't like to switch foods for him too often. Another thing I like to give him once in a while is a scrambled egg (just hold off on the butter, I use a non stick pan). It is a good protein source, good for their skin, and Johnny just loves it. Maybe Artie would enjoy that in lieu of chicken once in a while and it might make things a little easier on you cost wise. I also bribe Johnny to eat with a dolop of non-fat cottage cheese, or non-fat plain yogart. Now my two girls - never had a problem getting them to eat - just Johnny. Must be a 'boy' thing.

I read this article on feeding dogs that was very interesting and informative and it talked about adding 'people food' to the kibble for each meal. FWIW I've attached it below.

The Dog Food Project - Myths about Dog Nutrition
I'm definitely going to try the egg once in a while, assuming that he likes it. Thanks for that tip and thanks for the very interesting article!

(I tried to rep you but I've got to spread some around first... )

Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm definitely going to try the egg once in a while, assuming that he likes it. Thanks for that tip and thanks for the very interesting article!

(I tried to rep you but I've got to spread some around first... )
You can give him raw egg, shell and all. Some dogs are smart and you can hand the entire egg to them and they'll break it on their own. Mine's not that dog, so we have to crush the eggs and shells, then give it to him.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I have a "cleanup" on kitchen floor from time to time.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
You can give him raw egg, shell and all. Some dogs are smart and you can hand the entire egg to them and they'll break it on their own. Mine's not that dog, so we have to crush the eggs and shells, then give it to him.
Some dogs are smart but Artie would want his egg as an omelet, served on good china. He will NOT be getting a raw egg.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Be careful doing it that way. My dog decided that the best way to eat a whole egg was to hold it immediately behind his incisors and increase bite pressure until the egg broke. The result is a cascade of yolk and whites over cabinets, floor and walls.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Be careful doing it that way. My dog decided that the best way to eat a whole egg was to hold it immediately behind his incisors and increase bite pressure until the egg broke. The result is a cascade of yolk and whites over cabinets, floor and walls.
My dog was taught to have a soft mouth from day one. He will stand there, with a doofy look on his face, holding the egg in his mouth. He will then carry it to his bed, and gently place it down and lick the shell. Yes, he's cute but not the brightest! I'm pretty sure he doesn't know he has these incisors!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 AM

167 posts, read 597,626 times
Quote:
My dog was taught to have a soft mouth from day one. He will stand there, with a doofy look on his face, holding the egg in his mouth. He will then carry it to his bed, and gently place it down and lick the shell. Yes, he's cute but not the brightest! I'm pretty sure he doesn't know he has these incisors!
That sounds like a great photo opp!!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
Fascinating!!! I had no idea dogs could eat raw eggs!

I'm sure Beesley would do the same thing PC does--licking the egg. I was eating an apple as I was driving home from Utah and handed the core back to Beeze as I was driving. He licked it, but wouldn't take it from me. Awkward position while trying to drive 80 on the freeway! (Yes, the speed limit is really 80 in the-middle-of-nowhere-Utah) I ended up throwing the core onto the back seat at which point he lunged for it like he always does. Sometimes he doesn't understand the concept of BITING food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs