U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,671 times

Advertisements

ferra is a red nose American pit bull an is very dog aggressive except when in her home. she has had a cat and a rat as pets. there is this one dog that live near and ferra hates her and has tried to fight her several times(its a really small terrier) ferra is spayed btw. and today she tried to attack that dogs owner when she wasn't even near her dog. could it have been the smell of that dog? or is something wrong with my dog? should i put her down? or take her to a shelter? i own my condo so i can't move or anything and my husband is a dog trainer so don't worry ferra has been raised with tons of love and care. She is actually a great dog until this. I just can't wait around till she does attack this women and i don't know why but its only this one and has never been anyone else. we have had ferra for 2 years she is 3 years old and we don't know her background before us.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:24 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,347,430 times
Oh what a precious breed.
http://www.wrcbtv.com/videowindow.cfm?sid=8470 (broken link)
Why you people get these dogs is beyond me. You need to get it together and make sure that dog is locked up before it hurts someone, period.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:35 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,564,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashee8705 View Post
ferra is a red nose American pit bull an is very dog aggressive except when in her home. she has had a cat and a rat as pets. there is this one dog that live near and ferra hates her and has tried to fight her several times(its a really small terrier) ferra is spayed btw. and today she tried to attack that dogs owner when she wasn't even near her dog. could it have been the smell of that dog? or is something wrong with my dog? should i put her down? or take her to a shelter? i own my condo so i can't move or anything and my husband is a dog trainer so don't worry ferra has been raised with tons of love and care. She is actually a great dog until this. I just can't wait around till she does attack this women and i don't know why but its only this one and has never been anyone else. we have had ferra for 2 years she is 3 years old and we don't know her background before us.
Go and find a dog trainer, with a GOOD reputation immediately, before something happends, everyone is going to regret, and the dog has to pay for!
I believe in one-on-one training, and it solves A LOT of behavioral problems. If you love your dog, you won't hesitate to invest your time and patience......

Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,347,430 times
I don't care, I have read for months the inane ramblings from you pit bull apologists. You come on here saying that a pit bull tried to attack a HUMAN BEING. I said get responsible and make sure your darn dog is locked up. That was a serious piece of advice. Period.

Do you realize there are 14 stories of pit attacks on the newswires today alone? Those are just the ones that are on the NEWS WIRES. Many don't make the news. You apologists can whine all you want that "it's not the dog, it's the owner" and will point out one or two rogue stories about retriever attacks but the numbers don't lie. Where there is smoke there is fire.

You wanted to know what to do? Lock up your dog and take responsibility. That's what you do.

You pit owners on City-Data are like parents of school-age kids who get in trouble at school and then have the audacity go yell at the teacher for suspending the kid.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 12,671 times
thanks for trying but my husband is a dog trainer and has been working with ferra for 2 years. she has never shown any aggression to anyone else besides this women. and i don't have the money to pay some over priced trainer to tall me the same things my husband can.(he btw does have a great rep.)

Old 05-21-2007, 01:47 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,376,904 times
I babysat a friends boxer one time, really good dog named Ruby, fabulously behaved in the house...when I took her out to potty her in the front yard, I put a leash on her for fear of loosing a friends dog...

My neighbor was in the street and asked me if I had gotten a new dog...I told him I was babysitting...just as he stepped on my lawn, he said "thats a hell of a dog to babysit", Ruby stood up on the end of the lead barking...I didn't like this man, he was rude and intrusive but I never let on I thought this but Ruby seemed to know he was an A*s H**e...

If I hadn't had her on a leash, she would have been ON him...no doubt in my mind...thats the kind of dog I want...she knew where the property line was and she didn't even live here.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:23 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,900,945 times
Ashee

Back to the problem at hand - immediate intervention. I think you need to dish out the bucks for your dog to be evaluated both medically and by a behaviorist, a disinterested third and fourth party, who can determine what went on and why. More importantly, regardless of your husband's credentials, you need to be on a NILIF program (Nothing In Life Is Free) with your dog and at the very least go back to Obedience Training. Your dog has built up a personal bond with your husband, an outsider may do more good - but this is not for a Petsmart trainer, but a trainer who works large dogs and knows their stuff.

At the end of the day, it is your responsibility to keep your dog and the public safe...If you have to put the dog on a pinch collar or e-collar to maintain control, then that's what you have to do - but this is potentially a dangerous situation for all concerned. I do hope your dog is crate trained in case you have someone into your home that the dog inherently does not like.

I'd say spend the money for a full physical/mental evaluation and then see where that takes you.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:38 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,376,904 times
I need some clarification...

Maybe I didn't read carefully enough.

What exactly did your dog do to this woman? Did your dog pull away from you while on a lead and literally make contact with this woman or did your dog just bark and growl at this woman.

I agree its a HUGE problem if your dog pulls out of your hand to actually make contact but if all your dog was doing was barking and growling then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Terriers regardless of their size (the dog the woman owned) are a pretty dominate breed, I'm sure your dog takes exception to the other dogs idea that the other dog is the dominate one.

My Dad used to have a super shephard like that, he was big enough to ride like a horse and would attack in the face of gun fire...god forbid anyone should challenge him. A lab came on my Dads property once and challenged him, Exie killed him, laid him right down...

The moral to the story is if you have an aggressive breed, you MUST be able to control him on a lead...if your dog is so big it can break away from you while on a lead then you have a MAJOR problem...my Dad was unable to pull this dog Exie back when he was on a lead...Exie knew it...

Exie almost killed the Vets cat one time, the one they kept there to give blood transfusions...he was fat and sassy, when Exie came over to sniff him, he got upset...his only hope was to allow Exie to smell and say nothing, it took my Dad and two other people to break it up.

Exie was like having a loose canon around the house...he was a wonderful dog don't get me wrong however he was not a pet...he was a trained attack dog...and one that had been given WAY too much latitude in his behavior.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:49 PM

1,408 posts, read 7,256,692 times
Default training, training and more training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashee8705 View Post
You were with ferra when you saw the woman you hate? Could be that ferra was acting on your emotions. Dogs can sense when we are uncomfortable, nervous, scared. they go into protective mode. Ferra may have been trying to "protect" you because she sensed something was wrong with you. You'll need to teach her a command that lets her know there is nothing wrong. I suggest you start working with her and this new command (whatever word you choose - calm, relax, settle, etc.) right away. good luck.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:54 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,564,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I need some clarification...

Maybe I didn't read carefully enough.

What exactly did your dog do to this woman? Did your dog pull away from you while on a lead and literally make contact with this woman or did your dog just bark and growl at this woman.

I agree its a HUGE problem if your dog pulls out of your hand to actually make contact but if all your dog was doing was barking and growling then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Terriers regardless of their size (the dog the woman owned) are a pretty dominate breed, I'm sure your dog takes exception to the other dogs idea that the other dog is the dominate one.

My Dad used to have a super shephard like that, he was big enough to ride like a horse and would attack in the face of gun fire...god forbid anyone should challenge him. A lab came on my Dads property once and challenged him, Exie killed him, laid him right down...

The moral to the story is if you have an aggressive breed, you MUST be able to control him on a lead...if your dog is so big it can break away from you while on a lead then you have a MAJOR problem...my Dad was unable to pull this dog Exie back when he was on a lead...Exie knew it...

Exie almost killed the Vets cat one time, the one they kept there to give blood transfusions...he was fat and sassy, when Exie came over to sniff him, he got upset...his only hope was to allow Exie to smell and say nothing, it took my Dad and two other people to break it up.

Exie was like having a loose canon around the house...he was a wonderful dog don't get me wrong however he was not a pet...he was a trained attack dog...and one that had been given WAY too much latitude in his behavior.
I agree 100%
I have a german shepherd and a mix, and, we didn't have a yard. But leashes work very well....
The thing is, my husband was attacked 3 times already (all pits) running lose, while we were walking our dogs on the leash. Well, my husband walks with a gun now, because he won't put up getting attacked ever again. Whoever let's their dog run around (period), especially knowing they are "questionable in their behavior", and attack again...well, if it is my husband they are attacking, they will end up with a bullet between the eyes!!!!!
So, the animal has to end up dead, because owners failed....
I do agree, that they need to be evaluated, rather sooner then later...they CAN BE WEAPONS!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or