Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:58 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times

Advertisements

Here is a photo taken from Angel's landing at Best Friends at noon time ( not the best lighting for photos) . So this is what you see when you are eating lunch .

This next photo was from a walk in Kanab yup the dirt is that red and soon you are too I will try to post a few more photos with some of the dogs but it may have to wait until after my 3 day work stretch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 04:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
OK...finally got them downloaded to PhotoBucket.
First 2 is up on Angels Landing in Zion...check out the eagle in the background of the first pic! (This is my daughter and her boyfriend)

Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
Looks beautiful. I too one day want to go there.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:37 PM

501 posts, read 1,295,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I even met with the gifts/behests/wills woman and made arrangements for the future.
I plan to make arrangements for a bequest to both a local humane society and to Best Friends. Did you find them easy to work with re wills and future planning?

I wasn't sure where to start, and didn't know they had someone I could speak to directly about this.

And the photos on this thread were amazing, what a beautiful area it is. I am glad to hear that for the most part, B.F. seems to be exactly what they say they are. I knew nothing about them, until I adopted a dog from a rescue a few years ago now, and started reading/forming opinions on various rescue organizations. Some are amazing; some are very unstable with troubled people running them. So when I make a bequest, I want to be pretty careful.

After reading this thread, I plan to make a trek to B.F. at some point in the future, to volunteer for a bit.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:58 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Shelby, thanks for much. that is one incredible place....I just love how you caught the eagle when you took your daughter and her BF's pic. that's great! Are you going again this summer, or any plans to make a family visit again?

Old 01-01-2010, 01:14 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Regarding wills and behests, the person in charge is Tamara Berry (tamara@bestfriends.org). I emailed with her first, and signed some papers, also met with her for lunch during my last brief visit.
B.F. always gets a top rating from charitynavigator, which is always a good sign (although those with low ratings say there is fault in the methodology). B.F. just celebrated its 25th year, and has gone in its title from "Sanctuary" to "Society" as its goals are expanded to national outreach, partnership, and education. The place itself (the 3,000 acres in Kanab- adjoining 33,000 acres of BLM land- one traffic light in the whole county!) is still "the sanctuary."
I'm sure, like any organization (in my experience, especially "service/giving" organization" there will be interpersonal or interdepartmental hissy stuff at time. But i do think that every person there is fully devoted to the mission of the place and the animals, right down to the last fur and feather. (If only this were true in all service organizations!)
I don't work for B.F.- I just love 'em, give them money monthly and for about 15 years now, and have them in my will. They also have a charitable annuity program, like many other non-profits, but I am not quite there yet.
Google B.F. Animal Society Kanab UT and click on images for more uplifting sights and geology. Great pics before, too. It's hard to show the magnitude of the red rock country with a camera.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:14 PM

501 posts, read 1,295,859 times
Thanks so much for that input!

When I first became aware of the world of animal rescue work, I think I approached it as though what I knew to be true about human nature wouldn't apply to something so important. That was naive of me; I have readjusted my thinking, and now proceed with a bit more caution. In the past couple of years, I haven't heard anything that I find disturbing about B.F. In fact, they seem to be the absolute model of the best that such a group can be as far as sincerely seeking the best for the animals in their care. If they are what I believe them to be, I will gladly give a bequest that can help them in the future to continue to do their good works.

For quite a few years, I used to live near the location of a current family reality show, and from that experience, I know that the packaging vs. the reality of what is going on in real life can be dramatically different. So I just wanted make sure I wasn't being swayed by the packaging of the tv show.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Shelby, thanks for much. that is one incredible place....I just love how you caught the eagle when you took your daughter and her BF's pic. that's great! Are you going again this summer, or any plans to make a family visit again?
Sadly, no....She has since made a move down to Fl. In fact, I'm in route to there now. Now we just get pics of Manatees and dolphins!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Sadly, no....She has since made a move down to Fl. In fact, I'm in route to there now. Now we just get pics of Manatees and dolphins!
Oh goody! You take some very nice pics, you know. I still have Dylan in my pics for wallpaper. He's my summer wallpaper ~ sweet, precious boy.

I did a very beautiful solarized version of him in the pool, was going to send it to you, but when my 30-day free use of Photoshop ran out and I didn't pay for a renewal, the pics somehow got locked up! I hope I can still get them...right now they seem to be in limbo.

I thought I needed much more experience at taking pics, and perhaps a better camera. I can't get very close to any wildlife, before they take off.

BTW your daughter is just lovely...she looks to me like a kind person. Are you going swimming with the Dolphins? ...yet another bucket list item for me! Boy this bucket list is getting longer by the minute!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 8,381 times
I too have been to Best Friends many times, even interviewed for a job there. One very awsome place to go. I would think that in this post you have had most your questions answered, but thought I would put my 2 cents in. The cabins and cottages do have to be booked way in advance, but it is nice to beable to stay right on the sanctuary. Last year it cost me $55/night for a cabin. I have done dog sleepovers and cat sleepovers, which are a lot of fun. I feel it is a real genuine place, and the people that work there are the best!!! I've made lasting friends with the people I have volunteered with. I'm really bummed out, because this year I am going to have to miss my Feb trip out there. Flying into Vegas and getting a rental car is much cheaper than flying into Phoenix, and it's closer by a good 2 hrs. If you ever get the chance to go I recommend it highly. I would attach some pictures, but can't figure out how to do that on this site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs