Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:15 PM

371 posts, read 938,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Yes, that is just what we need... more irresponsible gun owners on an ego trip.
I would not call defending myself or my dogs from an attack irresponsible...If you choose to be defenseless so be it...I would defend my property...

Last edited by NYRed; 01-05-2010 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't go to a dog park to socialize my dog, I go to give him off-leash exercise, since he can jump the fence in our yard, but not the one at the dog park. We walk him lots, but I like for him to get to run freely. Our dog park isn't very crowded, and we tend to go at offpeak times to further take advantage of relative-to-complete emptiness.

We socialize him with other dogs we know, and know the owners...the neighbors' Bassets, my brother's lab mix, my colleague's shepherd mix, etc.
ditto for me and bailey and dave......they have a backyard that has room for some running and they get a 1 to 1-1/2 hour walk in the park EVERY morning.... but .... even when i am moving as fast as i can on our walks, neither breaks out of much more than a quick trot..... both need room to run (dave in particular), and the encouragement to do so that comes from playing with other dogs in an offleash area....... they do not go the dogpark "to be socialized" ..... they go there to play unencumbered by leashes......alaskapat .... you are fortunate that you have the space for your dog(s) to roam and run ..... but for most of us living in the lower 48, that is just not an option.... and i, for one, could NOT take the winters you have there..... i am miserable enough here in the midwest.......

Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,641 times
I give Riley a pretty decent walk if it's above 10. Below 10, just a short walk around the block. She's very thick coated though & I don't mind the cold.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:48 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Sounds like you both were in the wrong. Both parties had unleased dogs. Both parties were mouthing off to each other. I'm not taking sides

Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Today I was walking my dog around the complex grounds (leashed of course) and my neighbor's poor dog comes bounding around the corner, unleashed. She is no where to be found (neighbor). This is a dog who NEVER goes out for more than 5 minutes (I see her let him out and bring him in). He's a lovely collie type dog who is home 8-10 hours alone (the dog 'mom' is a single woman who works).

Fortunately we know this dog by sight and he is about the same size as my dog so she was pretty calm. I told him to go home (the neighbor's dog) and he was very skittish.

If I didn't have my dog I would have taken him back to her and remind her that 1) that unleashed dogs are not allowed on these grounds
2) he could get hit by a car

I would have taken him in...he is such a lovely dog...

The worst thing you can do is keep a dog locked up and NEVER walk him. My parents had dogs like this (we had a big yard w/a fence, though). They are so likely to bolt...which this dog obviously did.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM

125 posts, read 213,013 times
The first thing I would do was to invest in some dog repellant and use it the next time an unleasxhed dog came within range.
It does not hurt the animal but definatly changes it's attitude>
If the owner raises any stink about you using dog repellant, inform them that there is a leash law and since they did not deem to obey it, the only recourse that you had to protect you and yours was the repellant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs