Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times

Advertisements

We adopted Hobbs, our lab mix from the shelter 2 years ago. He was about 5, and showed physical and behavioral signs of having been abused. He had issues--one was separation anxiety, riding in a vehicle, and another was being fearful of going outside with a man. We worked with him for along time and resolved first two problems and the fear of being outdoors with a man had improved but not fully. Hobbs is attached to me even though my husband has always shown him only kindness. I had to go out of town and now Hobbs refuses to go outdoors with my husband and is regressing. Any advice on how to deal with this fear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Do you have a female friend, relative, neighbor or dogwalker who can "fill in" for you while you are gone? Otherwise, I would suggest a female behaviorist or that your husband board him at a kennel with female staff until you get back. Your husband really shouldn't try to do this while you are away, especially if the dog is regressing; he [the dog] probably just isn't ready for the transition yet and you don't want to make the problem worse and/or go back to square one. It sounds like your pup just isn't ready yet.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Good suggestions, StarlaJane. Our complication is that we live out in the country. Might be able to ask the woman who lives down the road 3 miles to stop by--she loves dogs. Hobbs does need a therapist but none around here in the outback of NM! Will search more online. He could have had 5 years of some man beating on him every day--how does one get over that.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
This is Townand countrygal's husband here.....Well Hobbs is doing very well today... he stays next to me in the house all the time and today I fed him outside and then gave him some treats to get him to walk down the driveway (about 1/4 mile) and he did "good" he stayed with me and a friend of mine was with us also. Hobb's started back into his "old" habits of looking for lizards etc in the bushes and I feel pretty confident that he took care of "business" .
Stay tuned and lets see how tomorrow turns out...

HW hubby of "SuninHair" aka Townandcountrygal....

Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I was going to suggest bribery, glad it worked.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Good suggestions, StarlaJane. Our complication is that we live out in the country. Might be able to ask the woman who lives down the road 3 miles to stop by--she loves dogs. Hobbs does need a therapist but none around here in the outback of NM! Will search more online. He could have had 5 years of some man beating on him every day--how does one get over that.
It depends on the severity. It actually doesn't take a daily beating: for most dogs, once is enough. And, sometimes, they never get over it.

But it sounds as if your hubby has it all under control!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It depends on the severity. It actually doesn't take a daily beating: for most dogs, once is enough. And, sometimes, they never get over it.

But it sounds as if your hubby has it all under control!

Unfortunately, it's not under control. Hobbs is regressing. When I get back will contact an animal behaviorist.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Unfortunately, it's not under control. Hobbs is regressing. When I get back will contact an animal behaviorist.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I think a behaviorist would be a really good idea then.

I would get in touch with your vet to see if he/she recommends someone in particular. Whatever you do, make sure that the behaviorist is recommended and can provide references from former clients. And check the references.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 AM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Well, Hobbs is actually doing ok...took a nice walk on Sun. and now stays w/me almost all the time.
I have been feeding him outside and then enticeing him w/ treats to walk down the road and he seems to be doing better.
However, Suninhair (T&CG) will be back tomorrow....
HW

Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,633,463 times
Talking Trust

What he (the dog) needs is to trust the husband inside the house and out. If it take food bribery, GO FOR IT. Use what he loves most. Most important, be patient. It does not matter how long it takes, as long as you are making forward progress.

Make sure when your wife returns, both of you work together as a team with him. When you go for walks, she can start with the leash and the dog between you, pass the leash between you and don't forget you food bribes (at least in the beginning.)

It will take time but that is on your side.

Here's a suggestion: There are three ways you can approach him. You can back up to him or approach him from your side (side-step). A frontal approach is more dominate and for him is a tough challenge. Eventually, you can do this but for now try the other two and see if it makes a difference.

Although dogs live in the moment, there is something that is triggered in his brain around men. Try not to take it personally, you have been nothing but kind and that is what he needs in order to trust you. He needs to know you are not there to hurt or harm him.

Best wishes on his rehab. Oh, I almost forgot, thank you for saving his life!

"From wet noses to wiggley butts, our dogs are not just dogs, they are family!" Luv-A-Bull.Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs