Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM

366 posts, read 1,212,693 times

Advertisements

I live in Las Vegas and I am looking for a breeder for this type dog. Also would like some input from owners of this dog with kids as I have a 13 month old girl! Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 04:57 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
First, what you're looking for is not something one would find easily. It's a mutt. Second, small dogs and small children are a VERY BAD combination.

Have you researched the characteristics of these breeds? Chihuahuas are notorious for being ONE PERSON dogs. They are NOT friendly. And they DO bite. And I have one - love her to death, but she's NOT friendly with other people. And terriers, as a rule, are perpetual motion machines. Add that to children falling, wanting to pick up the dog, etc. and it's a recipe for disaster.

I work in pug rescue (yes, I have a pug, too) and we don't adopt to families with children younger than 10 because of the high likelihood that the dog or the child will be hurt.

And I would NEVER put a 13 month old child with a tiny puppy. EVER. The dog WILL be hurt. How about a rescue of a larger breed? There are TONS of wonderful larger dogs who are in rescue because their families couldn't keep them any more (thank you, mortgage crisis!). They're GREAT dogs! And trained!

Parents always say, 'Oh, we'll be around them ALL the time.' Trust me, that NEVER happens.

Please, please, go to Petfinder and see what wonderful rescues are waiting for great homes!

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-30-2009 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 06:07 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,214 times
I'm trying here, but what the heck is a ratchi? I got the chihuahua part......???

Old 12-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I'm trying here, but what the heck is a ratchi? I got the chihuahua part......???
Rat terrier, I believe...

Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,214 times
thanks....

Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,112,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Rat terrier, I believe...
Thanks for that.

Rat terrier+Chihuahua + small child=recipe for disaster.

And why oh why, for the love of god, do brand-spankin' new, first time dog owners always always always want puppies???

Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
First, what you're looking for is not something one would find easily. It's a mutt. Second, small dogs and small children are a VERY BAD combination.

Have you researched the characteristics of these breeds? Chihuahuas are notorious for being ONE PERSON dogs. They are NOT friendly. And they DO bite. And I have one - love her to death, but she's NOT friendly with other people. And terriers, as a rule, are perpetual motion machine. Add that to children falling, wanting to pick up the dog, etc. and it's a recipe for disaster.
I agree that terriers are not the best pick for small children. I will defend Chihuahuas to say that I have two that are total loves. The neighborhood children love visiting w/ them as much as they enjoy the attention. Not all small dogs spell disaster. My dd was raised w/ Cairn Terrers since a young age and they adored her. You have to teach children to respect animals. I use to practice w/ my dd when she was about your dd's age w/ a stuffed dog. I'd take her hand and stroke than stuffed dog and tell her "nice". I'd then take her hand to our real dog and repeat it. I'd do this more than once to help her understand how to treat pets. I obviously never left her unattended.

I know many speak highly of rescue, but with a young child this is not always the best choice. You don't always know the temperament of a rescue. Many are bred to strays or parent/siblings (which can make them unpredictable) and many are never vaccinated and may have parvo. It's best to start off w/ a puppy and raise it w/ your dd. We had an excellent experience bringing home a 7 wk Australian Shepherd when our dd was 11 mths. We considered him a rescue only because the breeder was going to destroy him due to his coloration and risk of Progressive Retinal Atophy/Degeneration, which he never had. My dh is a vet and heard about him. We refused seeing this pup put down and he ended up being the best body guard ever for our dd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post

Chihuahua/Rat Terrier

Take your time and do your research for the right pup.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I agree that terriers are not the best pick for small children. I will defend Chihuahuas to say that I have two that are total loves. The neighborhood children love visiting w/ them as much as they enjoy the attention. Not all small dogs spell disaster. My dd was raised w/ Cairn Terrers since a young age and they adored her. You have to teach children to respect animals. I use to practice w/ my dd when she was about your dd's age w/ a stuffed dog. I'd take her hand and stroke than stuffed dog and tell her "nice". I'd then take her hand to our real dog and repeat it. I'd do this more than once to help her understand how to treat pets. I obviously never left her unattended.
[font=Arial]
I know many speak highly of rescue, but with a young child this is not always the best choice. You don't always know the temperament of a rescue. Many are bred to strays or parent/siblings (which can make them unpredictable) and many are never vaccinated and may have parvo. It's best to start off w/ a puppy and raise it w/ your dd. We had an excellent experience bringing home a 7 wk Australian Shepherd when our dd was 11 mths. We considered him a rescue only because the breeder was going to destroy him due to his coloration and risk of Progressive Retinal Atophy/Degeneration, which he never had. My dh is a vet and heard about him. We refused seeing this pup put down and he ended up being the best body guard ever for our dd.
I really have to disagree. A good rescue evaluates their dogs and knows which dog is suitable for what home. We do that all the time in the rescue for which I volunteer.

And this child is a TODDLER, only 13 months old. Not even at the 'terrible twos.' Toddlers and small dogs are NOT a good combination. Toddlers simply don't understand that dogs can be easily hurt - especially puppies of small breeds. The child inevitably gets bitten, and the dog ends up being put down with the label of a 'biter.' Never mind that the child poked it in the eye or otherwise hurt it (oh, and the parents SWORE they'd always be watching). This stuff happens so quickly you can't stop it, even if you're in the same room.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I know many speak highly of rescue, but with a young child this is not always the best choice. You don't always know the temperament of a rescue.

Besides a rescue, where else can one get a mutt? She wants a rat terrier/chi mix, which is a mutt and found in many shelters/rescues across the US. If she goes the breeder route, she will be supporting bybs and puppy mills and will end up with a very poorly bred dogs with tons of behavioral and health issues. Reputable breeders don't breed mutts.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,112,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Besides a rescue, where else can one get a mutt? She wants a rat terrier/chi mix, which is a mutt and found in many shelters/rescues across the US. If she goes the breeder route, she will be supporting bybs and puppy mills and will end up with a very poorly bred dogs with tons of behavioral and health issues. Reputable breeders don't breed mutts.
Real Breeders Don't Breed Mutts should be a bumper sticker. Perhaps AKC groups could sell them to raise funds ? I can see the little rubber bracelets too: RBDBM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs