U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 AM

4 posts, read 3,545 times

Advertisements

Right now he is on Blue Buffalo. He eats the dry most of the time. But then there are days where he'll eat the wet. He would not touch the science diet at all. He never was a picky dog, but he is now. His sugar is down to 407, needs to come down more. Then he has the thyroid problem. Vet just put him back on a low dosage of that medication yesterday. It's just frustrating, cause it's like as soon as we are on top of one thing, something else goes screwy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 200 times
My dog has had diabetes about one year now, about 4months ago went competely blind, now that the weather is getting warmer it seems like his breathing is labored more..What is happening now?..His age is 9 years old. insulin 2x's a day with special dog food..Please help me understand what is going on in his body......Dog was acting fine, still acts like a young dog once in a while,but has changed since the weather is warmer.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 PM

2,654 posts, read 2,902,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Benson View Post
My dog has had diabetes about one year now, about 4months ago went competely blind, now that the weather is getting warmer it seems like his breathing is labored more..What is happening now?..His age is 9 years old. insulin 2x's a day with special dog food..Please help me understand what is going on in his body......Dog was acting fine, still acts like a young dog once in a while,but has changed since the weather is warmer.
It may be from the heat, heat can speed up the absorption of insulin especially lying in full sun which is not good for a diabetic pet. I don't know if you test your dogs blood glucose at home, it's a good thing to do and saves some time and worry on your part not to mention the costs of taking your dog to the vet for a bg check, when you feel something is wrong with your pet, testing his bg will show some answers.

This is some info about heat & insulin: I have pasted the info you need, it was taken from children with diabetes same applies to pets, it is mentioning short acting insulin but same applies to NPH or Vetsulin because we are talking about pets.

Insulin absorption
The absorption of insulin from the injection site can be influenced by a number of factors. Heat will
increase the absorption. If the room temperature increases from 20 to 35 C the absorption of short-acting insulin will increase by 50 - 60 %.

Most likely the part below does not pertain to your pet but it does explain about the heat and I don't think your pet is on short acting insulin or taking a sauna.

A 85 C sauna bath will increase the absorption by as much as 110 %! In other words, there will be a risk of hypoglycemia if you inject short-acting insulin shortly before the sauna bath. A hot bath (42 C) in a bubble pool may double the insulin level in your blood while a cold bath (22 C) will decrease the absorption of insulin.

For further reading you can click on the article but again it's help and information for diabetic children and their diets.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/...as_insulin.pdf

I hope this helps, you may like the k9diabetes forum all the info you need is there as well as any questions you may have. I send you a PM

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Last edited by rural lady; 05-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs