Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:54 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times

Advertisements

I know many people opt for grain-free food for their dogs, thinking that grains are the main allergy culprit. There's a very well-known pet store in my area, and they work with dog nutrition experts when deciding what to sell. While they do sell kibble, they are the biggest supplier of raw food in the county and sell every major brand. Here is their article on grain-free foods:

We’ve been discussing the issue of “grain free” dry foods for dogs and cats. More and more companies are coming out with these foods, and we’re doing our best to sort through the products in our quest for the best foods for your pets.

The reason more companies are marketing dry foods without grains is that they are capitalizing on the myth that grains are the primary cause of allergy-type symptoms in dogs. Grains may not be required by dogs or cats for proper health, but they aren’t evil either. While it’s true that some dogs appear to have an intolerance to gluten, this is not a common problem.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that dry foods that don’t have grains are automatically low in carbohydrates. The machinery used to make dry food would clog up if the food didn’t have enough starch to form the pellets properly. Potatoes, tapioca, sweet potatoes…. they are all starch-based foods, thus they all contribute carbohydrates to the diet. Many of these dry foods have just as much, and in some cases, more carbohydrates than foods that contain grains.

Feeding a dry food that is “grain-free,” even if it is high in protein, does not take the place of feeding fresh raw or home-cooked food. The processing involved in making dry food kills the naturally occurring nutrition of the ingredients. This is why they have to add synthetic vitamins and hope that they are absorbed properly.

The bottom line is that dry food, of any formula, is still a highly processed diet to depend on. It is simply not logical to rely on pellets in a bag for all your pet’s nutritional needs. There is no way that a bag of pellets can truly supply “100% complete nutrition.” Would you eat that way yourself? We say, “Think outside the bag!”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Would you eat that way yourself? We say, “Think outside the bag!”[/quote]

No, I wouldn't eat that way myself but then again, I wouldn't eat a 3 day old squirrel either. Ringo would - after rolling in it, of course.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:56 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,548,608 times
I did not think you were supposed to copy articles but rather link to them.

You are true about grains and allergies. Actually various meats are the biggest source of K9 Food allergies. That is why the VERY FIRST hypoallergenic dog foods swapped out the chicken for lamb but now lamb is too common.

Good point on extrusion, but many higher quality dog foods are baked, not extruded Would I eat that way? No though I do eat some prepared foods, but I would also not eat nothing but chicken chicken chicken, usually backs necks or leg quarters, every day either, which is what the vast majority of rawfood dogs get. Not enough variety IMO.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I would also not eat nothing but chicken chicken chicken, usually backs necks or leg quarters, every day either, which is what the vast majority of rawfood dogs get. Not enough variety IMO.
So not the case here! We buy him buffalo, ostrich, alligator, rabbit, lamb, venison when available (for some reason, not that common here), chicken, turkey, beef, quail, and whatever else we happen to stumble upon! I think he's had his variety of carcasses and has yet to turn one down!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:20 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,548,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
So not the case here! We buy him buffalo, ostrich, alligator, rabbit, lamb, venison when available (for some reason, not that common here), chicken, turkey, beef, quail, and whatever else we happen to stumble upon! I think he's had his variety of carcasses and has yet to turn one down!
I think you are very much the exception. That is good.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I think you are very much the exception. That is good.
That's very common for true raw feeders. I raw feed, but I can't find the variety that MAK feeds, so they get mostly pork, chicken, beef, turkey, and fish. I have to really hunt (the ethnic markets) for goat, rabbit, and anything else I can find. When I do find it, it's like getting myself a Christmas present! When I can afford shipping, I'll order buffalo, quail, rabbit, etc.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post

pc is a lucky boy .... i can't afford to feed MYSELF that well........

Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,549,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
I was thinking the same thing

Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
That's very common for true raw feeders. I raw feed, but I can't find the variety that MAK feeds, so they get mostly pork, chicken, beef, turkey, and fish. I have to really hunt (the ethnic markets) for goat, rabbit, and anything else I can find. When I do find it, it's like getting myself a Christmas present! When I can afford shipping, I'll order buffalo, quail, rabbit, etc.
How do you feed fish?? I am scared of feeding raw fish because of the parasite risk! Do you just buy it and feed it? Freeze it first to kill parasite? And whole or fillet? Sorry for all the questions, I'd love to add raw fish to his diet, because he only eats canned sardines and tuna right now!

And we have a farmers market here every day, in a different part of town each time. There is a guy that comes and he sells natural meats. You order online, and pick up at the market. He sells rabbit and buffalo, so that's where I get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
That dog eats better than me, it's pretty sad!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:07 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,074 times
Interesting article. I'm a raw feeder as well - mostly chicken, turkey (especially this time of year, LOL), beef, pork, and fish...almost got some duck but when I went back the store didn't have them. When my supply starts to run low again, I'm going to check the ethnic markets for some other meats. The most I'll pay for meat is $1.29/lb, I prefer to pay around $1/lb. Last month I got turkeys for something like 25 cents/lb, it was ridiculous. The dog does eat pretty good... Luckily she's small and doesn't eat a lot.

I agree, too much chicken isn't good, chicken is too high in bone unless you're feeding nothing but breasts.

I'm working on my emergency/earthquake survival kit, and think a high-quality kibble will be the best thing to keep on hand since raw isn't really practical for that. I hadn't thought about the grain-free kibble having lots of carbs, though. What is a good percentage of protein for a kibble? I know what to look for in the ingredients, but not sure about the percentages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs