Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:45 PM

380 posts, read 1,229,621 times

Advertisements

I recentley posted about my 10 year old dog having diabetes, the vet said they need him to come back next week and run more test and put him on fluid and moniter his blood sugar as well.

they want to keep him a full day, he does bite at times. im afraid to leave him alone w/o me. a couple of people have told me the main Dr. would abuse the animals... choke them and throw them ect. As my friend use to work there... Im afraid he would do that to my dog, Im afraid of that.

we just dont have alot of money to keep switching vets. and now that we give him his shots, I was wondering if I didnt need the vet for right now. and I can moniter his blood sugar with the handheld ones you can buy.... sorry it's so long guys. please give me your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,008,619 times
gosh I don't have a clue. maybe you could ask the vet if you can monitor him yourself and see what he says. I would be worried too if I heard from someone you know that worked there said the doc mistreated animals. I know there must be a diabetic dog forum out there see if you can find one and ask there good luck

Old 01-01-2010, 11:58 PM

yes it's very hard on me.. I just hate taking him up there and now knowing what will happen. you just never know these days who to trust. I want to trust him, but the girl did work there.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
What about changing vets?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:51 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Since your friend worked there at one time, your friend should be able to recommend another vet. With serious medical problems, I think it is necessary to work along with a vet. As long as you have records of current vaccinations, etc., it should not cost anything to switch vets. Ask other friends for recommendations. I also would have no hesitation to have this discussion with your current vet. What was said could be untrue. If you don't want to make the change, then have the tests done on a day when you or another person could stay with your dog while the tests were done. Do not delay on the tests since diabetes is a life or death situation without medical care for your dog.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:52 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post

we just dont have alot of money to keep switching vets. and now that we give him his shots, I was wondering if I didnt need the vet for right now.
Switching vets should not cost you a penny. There should be NO financial implication for you - none. I can't imagine why you think it will.

You need to be able to feel comfortable with and confident in a vet - if you don't feel that way, you need to find a new vet.

Diabetes isn't like ... oh, a cold. It's something that requires professional veterinary attention, especially in the initial stages while all the levels and the dosages are being established.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM

my dog is worth every penny, my problem is finding any vet to trust... I dont know why all the sudden I have a feeling that I cant trust any vet. when she told me that it just made me think alot more. and it put things in my head. I would hate to leave my dog there alone. he's never been alone. and at times if you mess with him he does bite.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Since your friend worked there at one time, your friend should be able to recommend another vet. With serious medical problems, I think it is necessary to work along with a vet. As long as you have records of current vaccinations, etc., it should not cost anything to switch vets. Ask other friends for recommendations. I also would have no hesitation to have this discussion with your current vet. What was said could be untrue. If you don't want to make the change, then have the tests done on a day when you or another person could stay with your dog while the tests were done. Do not delay on the tests since diabetes is a life or death situation without medical care for your dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
What about changing vets?
You KNOW what you should do. You need to FIND another veterinarian!

Don't leave your dog with a veterinarian that you don't trust.

I've had some bad veterinary experiences in my life. Working with someone you don't trust with your dog's care will only make a bad situation worse.
You need to feel good about the care that you're paying for.

If something bad happens right now you're going to feel bad enough. You'll feel even worse if you feel it was because you KNEW better than to use this vet!

Ask your friend to recommend another veterinarian. Call some vets in your area.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:13 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,385 times
If you can't make the switch, then stay with him. I am always with my dogs whatever the procedure is. I hold them as they are sedated prior to being neutered/spayed or other procedure and watch the actual surgery thru the surgical suite window. I sit quietly in a chair as they are in recovery.

I may be a bit "over the top" but my dogs are my business and I want to always know what is going on with them - and yes, I trust and love the two vet partnership practice I've used for almost 20 years. Just me...

Old 01-03-2010, 12:42 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I recentley posted about my 10 year old dog having diabetes, the vet said they need him to come back next week and run more test and put him on fluid and moniter his blood sugar as well.

they want to keep him a full day, he does bite at times. im afraid to leave him alone w/o me. a couple of people have told me the main Dr. would abuse the animals... choke them and throw them ect. As my friend use to work there... Im afraid he would do that to my dog, Im afraid of that.

we just dont have alot of money to keep switching vets. and now that we give him his shots, I was wondering if I didnt need the vet for right now. and I can moniter his blood sugar with the handheld ones you can buy.... sorry it's so long guys. please give me your advice.
I don't understand why they want to put him on fluids? Did they say your dog is very ill or that the diabetes can be managed, thats what they should have told you. If you dog is home now without fluids why do they want to use fluids when you take him in. Did you dog have high ketones?

Yes, you can monitor the blood glucose yourself with a pet meter or a human meter also by using urine stix, but checking the blood yourself gives you a better picture of how your pet is handling the insulin and food, the urine testing is a past picture being urine has been stored in the bladder for quite awhile.

For this full day are they doing a blood curve? usually blood is drawn every 2 hours over the course of the day to see how his body is reacting to the food and insulin. With them giving your pet fluids that is not going to help with the blood curve if glucose is in the fluids.

Also check the pricing with other vets on doing a blood glucose curve, you'd be surprised at how the prices vary.

If that vet is being abusive to animals I can tell you its no good for blood sugar and a diabetic pet, that kind of abuse or exciting the dog can raise or lower the bg, not to mention the harm he is doing to other pets, I'd call and report this vet, do it anonymous, it must be stopped now.

Get all of your dogs blood work, test results and run to another vet. You sure don't want this one.

Sent you a PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs