Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times

Advertisements

First - I will never understand why people think that dogs shouldn't eat meat? Wild canids eat meat ALL the time, why should domestic canids be any different? If the animal is a reasonable size to be captured and eaten by 2-3 dogs hunting in a pack, then it's acceptable food. Meat is their *natural food* -- all the veggies and fruits and whatnot would normally be ingested from their prey animal digestive systems or scavenged. Yes, dogs are omnivores (unlike cats who are obligate carnivores!) and they can pretty much eat like people within reason, but their primary food source is meat and always has been.

With that being said, if a dog is eating real meat, they certainly don't need to be eating as much as they would if they were macking down on nutritionally "empty" kibble (not that some kibble isn't nutritious, but it's more fiber and bulk and food). Suddenly switching your dog from high-carb kibble to high protein/high fat meat food will make them sick, it will cause them to have tummy upset, diarrhea and possibily pancreatititis... it'll do the same for us, too!

Most fresh veggies are good -- with potatoes and tomatoes it's the plant/stem/green parts that are the problem not the flesh. Corn is hard for all of us to digest... not just dogs... just look at our poop after eating corn And corn is a high allergen for people just like dogs, but not everyone or every dog is going to get sick eating it. Hmm look at all those "toxic" foods... 90% of them are known allergens in all omnivores... nuts, seafood, mushrooms, chocolate... see my point?! Yes, some things are really way worse for dogs, chemically, like grapes and avocados. But dogs can eat more than pigs can... it's true!

Anyway, guess what I'm saying is try to feed your dog close what they'd eat if they were still wild animals... and that includes a small amount of many varied things. A varied diet ensures that they get nutritional coverage. Getting a small amount of some food that isn't good for dogs will likel not kill them, just make them sick... and they probably won't eat it again. Just pay attention if you know your dog is the type to gorge first and ask questions later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 AM

Oh yeah - forgot to mention -- you know that many vets and pet food companies *swear* that lamb and rice is all hypo-allergenic and the *best* thing to feed an animal with sensitivities.... lamb and rice makes my dog barf every single time!! Give her some raw hamburger or what's left of your cheeseburge and she's fine. Just goes to show, for every rule there is an exception.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
First - I will never understand why people think that dogs shouldn't eat meat? Wild canids eat meat ALL the time, why should domestic canids be any different? If the animal is a reasonable size to be captured and eaten by 2-3 dogs hunting in a pack, then it's acceptable food. Meat is their *natural food* -- all the veggies and fruits and whatnot would normally be ingested from their prey animal digestive systems or scavenged. Yes, dogs are omnivores (unlike cats who are obligate carnivores!) and they can pretty much eat like people within reason, but their primary food source is meat and always has been.

With that being said, if a dog is eating real meat, they certainly don't need to be eating as much as they would if they were macking down on nutritionally "empty" kibble (not that some kibble isn't nutritious, but it's more fiber and bulk and food). Suddenly switching your dog from high-carb kibble to high protein/high fat meat food will make them sick, it will cause them to have tummy upset, diarrhea and possibily pancreatititis... it'll do the same for us, too!

Most fresh veggies are good -- with potatoes and tomatoes it's the plant/stem/green parts that are the problem not the flesh. Corn is hard for all of us to digest... not just dogs... just look at our poop after eating corn And corn is a high allergen for people just like dogs, but not everyone or every dog is going to get sick eating it. Hmm look at all those "toxic" foods... 90% of them are known allergens in all omnivores... nuts, seafood, mushrooms, chocolate... see my point?! Yes, some things are really way worse for dogs, chemically, like grapes and avocados. But dogs can eat more than pigs can... it's true!

Anyway, guess what I'm saying is try to feed your dog close what they'd eat if they were still wild animals... and that includes a small amount of many varied things. A varied diet ensures that they get nutritional coverage. Getting a small amount of some food that isn't good for dogs will likel not kill them, just make them sick... and they probably won't eat it again. Just pay attention if you know your dog is the type to gorge first and ask questions later.

oh, how i wish this was true for bailey......... )

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post

Haven't you heard? Corn is the new fad! High fructose corn syrup is in 90% of the products humans eat, and ground yellow corn as the primary ingredient in dog food! Cows are fed corn, then humans eat that beef. Sounds appetizing, no?

That said, it's far simpler to open up a bag of kibble that has an exipiration date of 2022 than to actually take the time to prepare food for your dog. It's an easy way out. Hey, if people are willing to feed human babies jarred foods that sit on shelves for months, why would they do anything different for a dog?

Our boy is primarily on raw. Since for 2 weekends straight he is to be with a pet sitter, we put him on kibble to make her life easier. He projectile vomited 3 times so far because he cannot handle the preservatives they put in that stuff. And we have Orijen, one of the best out there, yet it is still processed in order to be able to sit on the shelf for years. I feel so bad for him, because he should not be punished for being hungry and eating!

Good post, if all dogs ate like they were still in the wild, we'd have much healthier and happier canines!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
I skimmed through most of the posts and I don't think I saw this big NO-NO: DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG CHICKEN BONES... it is like giving an infant needles to eat.
If the chicken bones are raw, they pose no risk to the dog. Cooked bones splinter and can cause damage. Raw bones do not and are processed by the dog's body.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Fat free/ sugar free peanut butter
Natural peanut butter is a super special Kong treat, here. My mom started it when we were visiting her (with my consent). She calls it "Willie's pacifier."

Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
My two furkids LOVE jelly beans....all I have to do is say "jelly beans" when I have a bag and Ive got their full attention.

Fortuneately I dont eat jelly beans all that often, as the ones they like are expensive (Jelly Belly)

Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 AM

Ripley loves frozen peanut butter. Some stuff she only wants when it's frozen, like veggies. Odd dog.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:43 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
These are the one's my daughter will not in any way, give our dogs.
Don't laugh but some nuts see no problem with booze, but it is very toxic
Avocado's causes tummy pains in the dogs, with violent vomiting and diarrhea.
Yes Chocolate contains a stimulant called Thedbromite this affects the dogs central nervous system and there cardio vascuar of the dog.
Fat Trim from Meats and Ham this could lead to a dog having a bout of Pancreatitis
Grapes and Raisins can and do cause kidney damage in the Animal. Deaths have been reported on ingestions. Very bad.
Any coffee or tea products or related, has effects on the central nervous system, and the heart.
I cannot remember any others then these.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:55 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
Some bad info in here...well I only read first page.

I give my dog chicken legs...raw...bones and all.
Do some research lol.
HE will get much more meat than this throughout his life. I wouldn't hesitate to give him a burger from in and out...protein style hold the sauce, onions and tomatoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs