Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Be careful with the fries--that is fat and grease! It can lead to pancreatitis in your dogs.
They also eat chicken skin. Small amounts of fat will not hurt the average dog. There is no food in nature that does not contain some fat. The McDonald's fries are small and shared by the dogs perhaps once in two or three weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,004 times
Potatoes???? They sell Potato/Duck dog food and treats that I just bought at petco??? Potato? Hmmmmm. I dont think so,at least in the food thats made for them?

Greenchili

Old 01-03-2010, 09:19 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Potatoes???? They sell Potato/Duck dog food and treats that I just bought at petco??? Potato? Hmmmmm. I dont think so,at least in the food thats made for them?

Greenchili
The potatoes you're talking about are different from the ones that are toxic to dogs. This is from an article about human foods that are toxic to dogs.

"Potato Peelings and Green Potatoes (Contain Oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.)"

25 Human Foods Toxic To Dogs (http://www.animalpetsandfriends.com/Article/25-Human-Foods-Toxic-To-Dogs/300 - broken link)

Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
1. Chocolate is widely known as a food you should keep away from your dog. It can speed up their heartbeat and lead to a heart attack and seizures. In addition to that chocolate can also cause increased urination as well as vomiting and diarrhea. As soon as you realize that your dog has gotten a hold of the chocolate you need to take it to the animal emergency center.

2. Grapes and raisins simply do not agree with a dog's digestive system. There is no exact measurement of how much they can handle so it's best to keep all grapes and raisins away. If not you might find increased urination, vomiting, and diarrhea.

3. Onions are another food that can wreak havoc. They can break down a dog's red blood cells and drastically decrease the oxygen that gets to its blood. While the problems might not show up right away it can accumulate over time. Keep an eye out for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and a general malaise.

4. Macadamia nuts are another no-no. There is something in the nuts that can cause fever, heart problems, seizures or even paralyze your pet.

5. Please never feed your dog Alcohol. Their bodies just cannot handle it and it can give them alcohol poisoning very easily and lead to death.

6. Bread dough is another food to avoid. This is very soft and might cause the dog to think that it can just swallow the dough whole. The dough can then rise in your pup' stomach and cause bloating and nausea.

7. Never feed your dog a caffeinated drink. This will simulate their system in the wrong way and can have a bad effect. Your dog's heart might race which can lead to seizures or heart attacks.

8. Avocadoes might be yummy for humans to eat but they are toxins to dogs. They contain a chemical that can damage many of the body tissues in dogs. Guacamole dip is a mix you'll also want to avoid.

9. Be extremely careful with any food that has a pit. These pits have cyanide in them, which are dangerous. It might even overtake the bodies of smaller dogs and lead to death. If the cyanide doesn't harm your dog, they still might choke on the pit itself.

10. Do not give your dog raw fish. When fish is not cooked it can contain parasites. When a dog swallows these parasites they will attach to the wall of the intestines. This isn't something you'll notice right away either. It is a tricky thing to catch when your dog has these parasites. If you must feed fish to your dog you should make sure that it's thoroughly cooked.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
A dog will eat just about anything that people eat. Remember that table food is not good for dogs and you must resist the begging. If you would rather deal with giving a dog shots of insulin every day, feed them all the people food you want. My friend couldn't deal with the diabetes in her much loved and spoiled dog. The strict routine wasn't acceptable to the dog. The dog got so sick, she had to be put down. To me, it's a simple choice. Do what is right for the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I'm a sucker for my begging dog, so I usually feed him bits of whatever I'm eating (generally pea sized or smaller). I know some of you will crucify me for doing this, but I've read of some on this thread who ONLY feed their dogs human food.

My question is: What foods can you ABSOLUTELY not feed a dog? I know onions is one of them. I found that out the hard way, but, in my defense, he got ahold of a LARGE amount of onion. I doubt a pea sized piece would have hurt him.

Also, if you could list odd things you DO feed your dog--for example, a whole egg. I had no idea dogs could eat whole eggs, let alone raw!

Can dogs pretty much eat ANYTHING we eat, just in tiny amounts? I hear chocolate is toxic to dogs, but I spent new years eve at a friend's house, and they let their dog lick clean an empty bowl of chocolate ice cream And they've been letting her do it for 10 years...

Old 01-03-2010, 10:42 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
They also eat chicken skin. Small amounts of fat will not hurt the average dog. There is no food in nature that does not contain some fat. The McDonald's fries are small and shared by the dogs perhaps once in two or three weeks.
It's your dog! Feed him whatever you want.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Chocolate of course is a no no - but understand it's whole, real chocolate and not milk chocolate. I'd read up on this. Rice, boiled chicken and scrambled eggs are sometimes prescribed by the vet for various reasons.

I caution against feeding dogs human food for a couple reasons - my own personal reason is to keep them from begging. I do not have beggers in my house and this way they will not do it when I have guests.

The second is what I saw happen to my dad's poor dog - he fed that dog leftovers and human food all the time - ruining that dog's digestive track and it had to be put on a special diet.

While what happened to the dog wasn't funny, we kids had to laugh while visiting once (and subsequently got kicked out of the house for laughing) when his wife was sleeping on the sofa and the dog was laying on the sofa pillows just above her and, well, he just diarreha dumped on her head and in her hair and all she did was roll over and keep sleeping and so did the dog.

That dog's digestive system was shot.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
I think dogs are like people. Some people are allergic to certain foods & so are dogs.
Depends on the size of dog as well.

EVERYONE should know dark chocolate is deadly. Milk can be too, just not as bad as dark.
Although...my Moms friends dog ate almost a whole bag of dark chocolate...dog was fine. (I don't know the size of the dog) but I still wouldn't give them ANY chocolate.

Growing up we had a good size grape harbored(Sp?) We had a collie/hound mix that would pick her own grapes & eat them all on her own. My Mom would go out there to pick grapes to make jelly & juice & that crazy dog ate a lot of them...I mean a lot. That dog lived to be 13 years old.

In the summer when very hot I would freeze grapes & give them as treats to the dogs...all were fine.

We had a Rotty that went crazy if I was baking. As soon as she heard the pecan bag crinkle or smell the pecans she was there. That girl loved pecans.

Had a Bloodhound that would pick the red tomatoes off the plant. She especially loved cocktail tomatoes. She was a funny dog. I miss her funny face, looking at me in the tomato plants (who me, I'm not doing nuttin' Mom).

Bananas...all our dogs LOVE bananas.

Potatoes... all our dogs get the last of the potatoes that were mashed, be it white or sweet poatatoes.

So who's to say. Dogs are just like people (when it comes to food that is). We all know dogs rule... and are OH... SO MUCH BETTER THAN HUMANS IN EVERY WAY, SHAPE & FORM.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:37 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Anyone know if gummybears would be toxic/fatal? Not that I am thinking of feeding them to my dog but on the off chance that she might mistakenly ingest one...? I ask b/c I heard that they expand in water... might they do the same in a dog's stomach?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:36 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,410 times
I skimmed through most of the posts and I don't think I saw this big NO-NO: DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG CHICKEN BONES... it is like giving an infant needles to eat.

On a brighter side, we usually stick to their kibble and dog treats, but we have given some human food before:
Baby Carrots
Fat free/ sugar free plain yogurt (usually 1 teaspoon, frozen in a kong... or mixed with banana).
A slice or two of banana (I heard too much will make them constipated)
Fat free/ sugar free peanut butter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs