U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,394,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Gross??? There's nothing that you can say about Bella's poop that's gross! (Think of all the things that I've told you about Artie's poop and anal sacs. Nothing is off limits here.)

I wouldn't worry about one weird poop. OK, it was technically TWO weird poops. Artie's poop is sometimes runny too -- and then the next one is firm. I think you should only be concerned when it's ALWAYS runny.

I know that when Artie gets too many treats in a day, his poop is pretty runny. And then he readjusts. I know that Bella only gets one treat a day (Artie says "huh?????" to that ) but it could just be a flukey thing. If they continue to be runny, it's something to concern yourself about.

And YAY! for no gas... so far.

HAHA Yes I know....and between her poop and gas and Busters anal sacs these two are driving me crazy lol

I think she might have just had an upset tummy last night or wasn't feeling well. Poop this morning was fine, don't recall any gas last night either. Her poop was never too runny except the day I had her tested for worms. That morning she had the Hershey squirts as I so lovingly call them lol until that day I had never seen her run so quickly out the front gate (me on the other end of the leash being dragged) and plop her butt down first instead of being and SQUUUUUUUUUUUIRT! lol

Oh and every once and a while they'll get more than one treat a day. My dogs are like children, literally, whatever one gets the other one wants and since Buster is prone to getting fat (he's already been on a diet) the yogurt has now become a treat for them in their food and then a biscuit at night so she doesn't throw up in the morning and perhaps a treat or two sprinkled in through out the day. I think two bowls of food, one in the morning one at night, with yogurt in them is a good treat. Would Artie agree? lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:36 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,189,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
As far as raised feeders go, be wary. I'm not sure how big your dog is, but if it's a large breed, the raised bowls can contribute to bloat. Raised feeders do not cause bloat, but studies have shown that a good percentage of dogs that get bloat ate out of raised feeders. I wouldn't risk it.
Correction... Raised feeders are recommended for big/tall dogs. Larger dogs should be fed smaller meals more often, elevating food, and limiting activity before and after eating are recommended to avoid bloat and the possibility of stomach torsion.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 AM

5,026 posts, read 14,755,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Correction... Raised feeders are recommended for big/tall dogs. Larger dogs should be fed smaller meals more often, elevating food, and limiting activity before and after eating are recommended to avoid bloat and the possibility of stomach torsion.
They are recommended by humans who believe that the dog will be more comfortable eating from such a feeder. Study after study (and I posted a link in my other post) have shown a correlation between bloat and raised feeders. Go lurk on a Great Dane forum. Not one of them uses raised feeders, since they are aware of the risks, and they own some of the tallest dogs out there. My friend has 3 Danes and will not use a raised feeder ever. Food is not the only factor, and the only one you mentioned.

The following factors have been identified as “non-dietary risk factors”* for BLOAT:
1. Using a raised food bowl - 110% risk increase associated with using a raised food bowl.
Raid The Wind Kennels

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Right now Bella is laying on the couch next to me and I can hear her fart lol but LUCKILY it doesn't smell!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,189,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
They are recommended by humans who believe that the dog will be more comfortable eating from such a feeder. Study after study (and I posted a link in my other post) have shown a correlation between bloat and raised feeders. Go lurk on a Great Dane forum. Not one of them uses raised feeders, since they are aware of the risks, and they own some of the tallest dogs out there. My friend has 3 Danes and will not use a raised feeder ever. Food is not the only factor, and the only one you mentioned.

The following factors have been identified as “non-dietary risk factors”* for BLOAT:
1. Using a raised food bowl - 110% risk increase associated with using a raised food bowl.
Raid The Wind Kennels
My comments are NOT intended to be poopy in ANY way... just explaining where I am coming from. I am VERY interested in finding out the FACTS if I have been wrong all these years.

It has been a few years since we had our Great Danes, but I got my info about feeding them at a comfortable level to their height from my vet, a Great Dane Club in town, Great Dane Forums online, AND a Great Dane rescue group.

We currently have a pit, lab, collie mix that is a very large dog but not as tall as a Dane. We feed her at a level compared to her height. She eats at a much SLOWER speed when her food is at a comfortable and reachable level. ??

Last edited by Lola4; 01-07-2010 at 11:25 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 11:43 AM

4,605 posts, read 5,534,170 times
Default My Bella's gas

So I bought some non-fat, plain yogert Saturday and put one tablespoon in her food Sunday morning. Around 4:30 Sunday night she had terrible diarrea. Her poops are normally very nice and firm. The only time they get loose is if I feed her to much or give her too many treats. She pooped one "normal" terd and then total water about 4 times.

I didn't give her any yogert Sunday night and she is back to normal. Do you think it's because it was non-fat? I was really hoping to get rid of the terrible gas.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
So I bought some non-fat, plain yogert Saturday and put one tablespoon in her food Sunday morning. Around 4:30 Sunday night she had terrible diarrea. Her poops are normally very nice and firm. The only time they get loose is if I feed her to much or give her too many treats. She pooped one "normal" terd and then total water about 4 times.

I didn't give her any yogert Sunday night and she is back to normal. Do you think it's because it was non-fat? I was really hoping to get rid of the terrible gas.
It's possible that your Bella can't handle the yogurt or is in a way lactose intolerant. I feed mine non fat yogurt and her gas has pretty much gone away and her poops have always been firm except when she had worms.

If she's having diarrhea because of the yogurt, then obviously she has a sensitive tummy to it. Did she have gas as well, like mine did?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 PM

4,605 posts, read 5,534,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
It's possible that your Bella can't handle the yogurt or is in a way lactose intolerant. I feed mine non fat yogurt and her gas has pretty much gone away and her poops have always been firm except when she had worms.

If she's having diarrhea because of the yogurt, then obviously she has a sensitive tummy to it. Did she have gas as well, like mine did?
You mean the kind that makes your eyes water and clears the room????? That would be it. Maybe it's the name.

That is why I was trying the yogurt. Should I have started with a smaller amount?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
You mean the kind that makes your eyes water and clears the room????? That would be it. Maybe it's the name.

That is why I was trying the yogurt. Should I have started with a smaller amount?
How big is she?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:49 PM

9,353 posts, read 19,163,709 times
just an fyi ..... yogurt is perfectly fine for those of us (canine and human) who are lactose intolerant.........

maybe something else about it disagreed with her.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs