Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,539,604 times

Advertisements

I switched my dogs to TOTW a few months back and expected some loose stool and smelly butts for a while, but Bella continues with the rankest gas I've ever smelled in my life. Other than making me nauseous, she seems to be fine, she has normal poops and eats normal. She's been a little whinier today than normal, but other than that I need to find a remedy to the gas. Any tips? Neither of the dogs get human food, and very rarely do they get treats....normally before bed they'll get a small treat because Bella likes to wake up at 6am and throw up because her tummy has been empty for so long. I can't think of anything causing it other than the new food - perhaps an ingredient in there that just makes her stinky.

I swear....these dogs are starting to cost me an arm and a leg! Between Busters anal gland issues and random hot spots and Bella's gas, they're driving me batty! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
That is a good brand but maybe it's just not agreeing w/ her - there are some dog foods that are good for dogs w/ sensitive stomachs, am wondering if those would help (Nutro Natural makes one and I think Wellness does but I'm not positive), it might be worth checking out.

PS Another thought - plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) might help w/ the digestion and the anal gland problems, it's high in fiber and low in calories and is sold in the baking aisle - we just give about a heaping spoonful a day and they like it (are small dogs).

PPS Also feeding her twice a day (smaller portions) might help (if you're not doing that now) w/ the digestion

PPPS Not sure if Wellness is grain-free, we used to feed it yrs ago but it gave them looser poops. Have also heard plain yogurt is supp. to be good for them, I think it has acidopholus (sp) in it.

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 01-04-2010 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: Adding PS & PPS

Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM

I took them off of Nutro because of all the food recalls they were having with that brand and wanted them on something grain free because of Busters continual skin problems. Do you know if Wellness is grain free? I'm already breaking the bank with TOTW as I'm on a limited budget right now. I did read somewhere on here that plain yogurt could help?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:49 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
What is TOTW? I have a Boxer who is VERY gassy at times. But she loves the Nutro Naturals Lamb and Rice blend,and has normal poops and healthy so
I just put up with the stink every so often. But everyone I know with
this breed talks about the farts.

Greenchili
Nevermind,I googled the TOTW.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 PM

TOTW = Taste of the Wild

It came highly recommended to me off this board by many people because my other dog seems to have skin problems and possible allergies. It's a great quality food, rates high on this website....

Dog Food Reviews - TOTW High Prairie Canine Formula - Powered by ReviewPost

I'm just wondering now if Bella is too sensitive to this food as she was basically fed grocery store dog food when we got her and changed to Nutro after that and then switched to a lower grade food because of finances and now on this stuff.

I think I'm going to try the yogurt and raising her bowl up off of the ground, possibly getting one of the bowls that has something in it to get them to eat slower, I've seen those bowls, just don't know what they're called lol

Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
possibly getting one of the bowls that has something in it to get them to eat slower, I've seen those bowls, just don't know what they're called lol
Slow-feeder bowls. Most pet stores have them, if not they're readily available over the internet. I use one for a glutton dog... as to whether or not it slows her down at all, I have my doubts.

You might also try switching her to purified water. We tend to concentrate on the food while forgetting about the water they ingest. While I doubt it will cure her, it certainly might help.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Slow-feeder bowls. Most pet stores have them, if not they're readily available over the internet. I use one for a glutton dog... as to whether or not it slows her down at all, I have my doubts.

You might also try switching her to purified water. We tend to concentrate on the food while forgetting about the water they ingest. While I doubt it will cure her, it certainly might help.

Yea I'm wary on spending money on one of those bowls because I swear she eats her food in like 5 seconds flat then goes for Busters bowl lol

Good thought on the water though! I never really thought about that because I have one of those things that looks like it has a mini water cooler on it lol I'll have to grab a few jugs from the grocery store and try that out! Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Don't waste your money on those bowls. Find a big rock outside, put it in the bowl, and pour the food around it. Problem solved!

As far as raised feeders go, be wary. I'm not sure how big your dog is, but if it's a large breed, the raised bowls can contribute to bloat. Raised feeders do not cause bloat, but studies have shown that a good percentage of dogs that get bloat ate out of raised feeders. I wouldn't risk it.

Wellness Core is a grain free food, the other Wellness brands are not. It's very expensive, much more than TOTW, so I wouldn't switch just yet. Another great brand is BG (before grain). They have chicken, buffalo, and salmon formulas and are on the less pricey side. I say try some plain yogurt and canned pumpkin for a couple of days. Gas is an ongoing issue in this house, and you really haven't smelled it until you smelled a Bulldog's fart. They are not only smelly, but extremely loud and wet sounding!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Don't waste your money on those bowls. Find a big rock outside, put it in the bowl, and pour the food around it. Problem solved!

As far as raised feeders go, be wary. I'm not sure how big your dog is, but if it's a large breed, the raised bowls can contribute to bloat. Raised feeders do not cause bloat, but studies have shown that a good percentage of dogs that get bloat ate out of raised feeders. I wouldn't risk it.

Wellness Core is a grain free food, the other Wellness brands are not. It's very expensive, much more than TOTW, so I wouldn't switch just yet. Another great brand is BG (before grain). They have chicken, buffalo, and salmon formulas and are on the less pricey side. I say try some plain yogurt and canned pumpkin for a couple of days. Gas is an ongoing issue in this house, and you really haven't smelled it until you smelled a Bulldog's fart. They are not only smelly, but extremely loud and wet sounding!

I think if I find a bowl cheap enough I'll get it, I'm afraid one of the two dogs will try to eat the rock! lol

I thought raised feeders were suppose to prevent bloat? That's what I read at least....as well as prevent gas.

I'm definitely going to try the yogurt, will pumpkin cause her to have the runs?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Pumpkin shouldn't cause the runs, it should have the opposite effect. It's used to firm up stool. That's if your dog will even eat it. Mine hates the stuff and won't come near his food if there is pumpkin nearby! And here is an article about raised feeders and bloat.

How an Elevated Dog Feeder Could Lead to Bloat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs