U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,099 posts, read 34,528,599 times

Advertisements

A great story with a happy ending. A Canadian family's 18 month old golden retriever named Angel saves their 11 year old son from a cougar attack. And a Royal Canadian Constable was in the area and able to quickly arrive at their house and shoot the cougar before it could kill the dog.
Quote:
"She had some pretty nasty injuries across the front of her head and neck" said Veterinarian Jack Anvik who is treating Angel at the Sardis Animal Hospital.
Family's 'Angel' dog saves boy from cougar attack - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM

16,648 posts, read 26,620,346 times
Oh my goodness!!!!

Angel is truly that -- an angel.

I've often wondered what Artie would do if we came across an attacker. We've seen one coyote in the backyard that abuts ours, and we've heard some others in the distance. (And I saw a lone set of paw prints on a neighbor's snowy driveway the other morning.) I know he'd bark like crazy (he always does) so I can only hope that would be enough to fend one off. But a cougar? Oh my!

Thanks for sharing this story, miu. Despite Angel's injuries, I'm so glad for the happy ending.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,783,329 times
Three cheers for Angel. Gooood dog. That is a great story. Saw it on the news this am.

I know that my dog does not bark at predators. We had one encounter in the woods with a bear and he got between me and it; he is normally happy-go-lucky but he is 6+ and it was the ONLY time in his life I saw hackles go up on his back. We are in the woods a lot and there have been some other ocassions where he gets close to me and moves slow. I know he is fine with deer and wild birds and other critters. Dogs seem to know the difference between a predator and prey.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,563,716 times
I love that the dog saved this young boy's life but did they have to kill the cougar? Aren't they endangered?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 AM

34,921 posts, read 31,961,540 times
Endangered? Hardly. They range from S to N Americas.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,563,716 times
And yet, they are listed as endangered:

North Carolina Endangered and Threatened Species (http://www.fws.gov/nc-es/mammal/cougar.html - broken link)
Northeast Region, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I love that the dog saved this young boy's life but did they have to kill the cougar? Aren't they endangered?

under the circumstances, i really don't see an alternative..... short of letting the cougar finish killing the dog and then possibly redirectiing its attention back to the humans......

would have been LOVELY for there to have been time to get a vet there with a tranq gun, shoot the cougar with THAT and then wait for the drug to take effect.... but i'm guessing that stopping the attack was the primary concern......

cougars are normally pretty shy and avoid contact with humans, so for this one to behave as it did, trying to attack the boy in his yard, points to there already being something wrong with it.....

Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,783,329 times
Sightings get "shut down" pretty quickly
I think there is some politics involved

They had silently introduced several near Monroe NC to help control deer, and then never mentioned that in the papers when there were sightings, even discounting them as "not possible". One of my friends had a friend who had a trouble with one killing her sheep and came home to find one being eaten on the front porch. Another one asked "what the heck else could kill and jump over a barbed wire fence with a goat in its mouth" . When they trapped one a few years ago, it became a little more real.

I understand they are out there and have been out there. More concerned about black bears and coyote than cougars........but I would think twice about being alone in the woods at dusk and night.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,099,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yes, they had to kill the cougar. No, cougars are not endangered.

You do understand that the cougar posed a lethal threat to an 11 yr. old in his own backyard aren't you? The dog came between the boy and the cougar to protect the boy.

When wild predators come to civilization to hunt children for food they must be delt with decisively. These predators are not candidates for "relocation". Young male cougars will range for hundreds of miles. I think it is irresponsible to assume that there was anything wrong with the cougar because it chose to hunt the boy. Big cats are fearless. They spend days stalking their prey. It is what they do. When they do it in civilization, they lose.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,099 posts, read 34,528,599 times
Here's a more detailed news article about the attack. And no, in this case, the cougar could not have been saved. When the constable arrived at the house, the dog and cougar were under the porch. And the cougar died with the dog's head in its mouth.

I also feel that even if the cougar had been chased off the property, probably the authorities would have wanted to hunt down this animal since it no longer had any fear of humans and was willing to attack the boy. And that's the general rule of thumb around the world with predatory animals. Once the animal is known for stalking and attacking humans, they are usually killed.

Hero dog saves boy, 11, from cougar attack - Heroes and angels

Quote:
Around 5:30 Sunday evening, Austin went out with a wheelbarrow to bring in wood to feed the family’s wood-burning furnace. At that hour at that northern latitude, it was already dark.Angel went along with Austin, and the boy found it curious that instead of playfully galumphing around the yard as she normally did, the dog stayed close by his side. He would shortly learn that there was a reason for her actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or