Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 04:27 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times

Advertisements

We have had an extended period of cold/dry weather and my Cavalier's ears make him look like a Flying Nun impersonator when he's inside. Short of buying a humidifier for our house, does anyone have suggestions for getting the flyaway hair under control?

Someone recently told me to wipe him down with a dryer sheet, like Bounce. Are there chemicals on dryer sheets that would make this inadvisable?

One other side effect of the low humidity is the dead Bermuda grass throughout our townhome community. Chester doesn't even have to roll in it; it seems to jump up on his coat like fleas, and it's impossible to brush it all out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 05:51 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
You can use either a dab of your own conditioner or a doggy one - rub it between your hands and then on your dogs coat. A little will go a long way.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:59 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
I use my own products on Storm or darling I would just steal some of the horse products from the barn. If you still have horses anyways....I don't even know if you are still mounted.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
You can use either a dab of your own conditioner or a doggy one - rub it between your hands and then on your dogs coat. A little will go a long way.
Thanks for the suggestion! I keep an inexpensive brand of "people" conditioner for his baths. It's good as a de-tangler for his tail and feathers. I didn't think of using it on a dry coat. Duh!

Aptor Hours, I would never dream of taking products from the barn that aren't mine. Even though I'm a customer, and have "paid" for them in my board and training bill, they still aren't mine to take. And yes, I still have a show horse.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
You can also dilute the conditioner with water in a spray bottle and comb it through the hair. It won't stay goopy or sticky.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Speaking of this dry air, is anyone finding dandruff on their dogs? My friend has two Labs -- one yellow, one black -- and the black one has obvious dandruff on her. Maybe the yellow one does too. Maybe Artie does too. But it shows on the black one.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Speaking of this dry air, is anyone finding dandruff on their dogs? My friend has two Labs -- one yellow, one black -- and the black one has obvious dandruff on her. Maybe the yellow one does too. Maybe Artie does too. But it shows on the black one.
I give my dogs a fish oil capsule several times a week. You can buy it in liquid form, or break open the capsule if they won't swallow or eat it. Does wonders for the coat and health in general. I prefer the Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil caps from Costco. Much cheaper than the bottled ones from Petco/Petsmart.

I take it too!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
I give my dogs a fish oil capsule several times a week. You can buy it in liquid form, or break open the capsule if they won't swallow or eat it. Does wonders for the coat and health in general. I prefer the Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil caps from Costco. Much cheaper than the bottled ones from Petco/Petsmart.

I take it too!
I passed the info onto my friend. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
You can also dilute the conditioner with water in a spray bottle and comb it through the hair. It won't stay goopy or sticky.
I'll try it. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I take it too!
Yep, I squirt salmon oil on Chester's kibbles nearly every day. He used to have itchy skin, and he hardly ever scratches any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs