Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perihelion2010 View Post
Thank you. Didn't Diamond have a poison scare a few years back? The Chinese had sent a batch with melamine(sp) in it or something?
Well, Diamond makes a HUGE number of different brands of dog food including Chicken Soup and TOTW. I think these things have hit a LOT of different manufacturers unless you go with the super premium foods or other BIG name brands.

You can easily hit that price range if you are willing to feed menadione.

Last edited by grannynancy; 01-10-2010 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Thank you. I had them on this and their coats went a little dull and they had runny poop, but I have not completely dismissed this one off the list. If I have to downgrade at least I know this one is better than the mess they sell in the grocery store.
I had the same runny poop problem with Artie the short time he was on Chicken Soup... I believe it was because of the dairy in it. It's one of the few foods that contain milk.

I currently feed Artie primarily Taste of the Wild (venison/bison flavor). I say "primarily" because he likes variety, so I mix in a bit of Wellness Core, Natural Balance (I think it's called), and Evo. All grain-free.

Taste of the Wild is the biggest chunk of his food, though, and it's definitely less expensive than Wellness Core. Oh, and Artie even likes it better!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 AM

749 posts, read 1,789,447 times
Any Nutro products are very safe and is all we feel our Pom. We just got a 30 lb bag for $35.00. We purchase it at PetSmart as we have her on the weight management and their the only ones that carry this one. Petco carries Nutro products as well.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
I also had a runny poop problem with Chicken Soup. I'm glad you guys are posting so I know that others have also had the same problem with that food.

I've currently got my dogs on IAM's Lamb and Rice. It's not a Premium food but they're doing well on it.

Since switching to the IAMs food, I've researched less expensive Lamb and Rice that has better ingredients.
I plan to buy Fosters & Smith (private label) Lamb & Rice in the future. The Fosters & Smith food has a better rating and better ingredients.
Even including paying for shipping, it's not too expensive if you buy it in a larger quantity. And, it's kind of nice having it delivered to your door!

Best Quality Dog Foods: Dry Adult Dog Food Lamb & Brown Rice Formula

Dog Food Reviews - Drs Foster & Smith Lamb Meal & Rice (archived) - Powered by ReviewPost

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-10-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 AM

74 posts, read 198,381 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.I didn't know Natural Balance was grain free - I just walk past it in the store because I figured it was like Science Diet or Beneful. Does it have real meat? or meat bi-product? The same for Nutro.

I'll check the ingredients panel in the store and if all looks legit I will buy small bags of these and test them on it, again thanks all for your help

ETA: I forgot about Fosters & Smith and I get their catalogs all the time I'll give them another look too. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Thank you. Didn't Diamond have a poison scare a few years back? The Chinese had sent a batch with melamine(sp) in it or something?
Yes, Diamond did. TOTW, Costco, Wellness, Canidae, and many other good brands are produced AT Diamond facilities, not by them (though I do believe TOTW is the exception). It is expensive to own your own manufacturing plant and I personally don't believe Wellness should be penalized, since they never had a recall. That said, if you do have a Costco membership, they came out with a new grainless formula. Right now, it looks like a generic version of TOTW, with quality ingredients. Not sure how much it costs, but I'm willing to bet it is a lot less than any others mentioned. It's worth checking it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Have you looked a Taste of the Wild? This is what I am currently feeding, although I am now looking at BG (Before Grain).
Be careful with BG. Their marketing is sneaky. They have 3 formulas, buffalo, chicken and salmon. The buffalo and salmon contain more chicken and turkey than buffalo or salmon, yet are more expensive than the chicken. Look at the ingredients. The name of the bag doesn't match to the ingredient list. I had a horrible experience with BG, where my dog would vomit an hour or so after eating for 3 days straight (I tried all the formulas) and from doing some research, it appears to be a common problem. Just a heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyedCat View Post
Any Nutro products are very safe and is all we feel our Pom. We just got a 30 lb bag for $35.00. We purchase it at PetSmart as we have her on the weight management and their the only ones that carry this one. Petco carries Nutro products as well.
Nutro had 3 major recalls last year alone. They are a horrible company that should not be allowed to produce food. How many recalls does it take to pull a plug on these people?

To the OP, check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com and www.dogfoodproject.com. Read reviews, see which ingredients to avoid, and make an informed decision. Here's a link with a great list of ingredients to avoid. You might want to bring it with you when you shop! http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....badingredients . I hope you find a food that works for your dogs!

Last edited by MAK802; 01-10-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM

Crossing Nutro off of the list.

Thank you for the links, checking them out now.

ETA: http://www.dogfoodanaylsis.com/ is coming up as a fake ad site. Is it .org or maybe a different arrangement of the url?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Ok, here we go: Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble - the other addy was misspelled

Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Ok, here we go: Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble - the other addy was misspelled
The second link I posted above was to their review of the Foster's and Smith Lamb & Rice food.

I'm not an expert by any means and I do realize that this is really a point of contention but IMHO having some grains is not all bad.
From my limited personal knowledge of nutrition, I can tell you that we need carbs to balance and use the protein that we consume, i.e., to use utilize the protein we eat,
we need a full Amino Acid profile. That's why I don't believe that any mammal needs a diet that is mainly only 1 or 2 ingredients.
(unless, of course, they have food allergies and can only tolerate a few ingredients)

To me, it's about the porportion of ingredients and the quality of what is used. Also, important to me is the kinds of other fillers and what kinds of perservatives and other additives are used.

Again... I'm sure that I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this forum when it comes to dog food.
I base my humble opinions on my interest in human nutrition and food.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-10-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 10:49 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Quote:
Can anyone suggest a quality replacement for Wellness dog food? My dogs are doing excellent on this food but the cost is really taking a chunk out of my finances. I don't want to feed them typical grocery store brands because these are all based on corn and rice and that is not very good for dogs and can lead to health issues.

I am trying to find something that is not grain-based but that is $20 or less for a 15 lbs. bag.

Thank you.
We also feed our dogs Wellness. I joined their "Naturally Well Pet Club" WELLNESS® - Healthy Dog and Cat Food They email me (quite often) coupons to save 5 or ten bucks on a bag.

Do you have a Petco near you? I joined Pet Pals Club and got on their mailing list at PETCO Coupons - Find the best PETCO coupons, promotions & discount codes all in one place!. They snail mail and email me coupons for 10 bucks off or 10% off of a 50.00 purchase. Their coupons vary, but those two are the ones I use most often.

If I happen to also hit PetCo when Wellness is on sale... I hit pay dirt!!

As an aside... keep in mind that your dog requires less food when eating better food AND your dog is healthier... thus, less vet bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs